• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cadbury World - Merlin Take Over

But where would people park if you have stuffed a theme park on their car park?
I don’t think they’re publicly used car parks, from memory; from my visit, I seem to remember the main car parks for both the public and staff being around the front of the main building. I’m unsure on the purpose of those back ones, hence why I highlighted them.

So in theory, those ones round the back would be a bit more open for potential development, as far as I’m aware (correct me if I’m wrong there). I’d never suggest the ones round the front, because they’re more integral to day-to-day operations (and also far further from the existing outdoor section).

Last edited:
I don’t think they’re publicly used car parks, from memory; from my visit, I seem to remember the main car parks for both the public and staff being around the front of the main building. I’m unsure on the purpose of those back ones, hence why I highlighted them.

So in theory, those ones round the back would be a bit more open for potential development, as far as I’m aware (correct me if I’m wrong there). I’d never suggest the ones round the front, because they’re more integral to day-to-day operations (and also far further from the existing outdoor section).

The car park at the front is too small and always full. The main car park is the top one behind the building and the lower one behind the 4D cinema is the overflow.
That overflow car park used to be bigger, before they built the 4D cinema on it.

Can't wait for this bad boy to return to Towers.

Pictures1044.jpg

The takeaway from this deal is that there's more in brand usage rights than there is the operations of Cadbury World.

I can't see anything significant happening to Cadbury World. It will be interesting to see how Merlin use the brand. Will they go down the route of creating a new midway brand (Cadbury World London?), or will they integrate the brand into existing theme parks? Knowing Merlin, they will utilise the brand to create a new midway experience/attraction, however I quite like the idea of some attractions in UK parks which would provide an easy IP to base a new attraction/retheme on.

The London midways are heavily geared towards foreign tourists and Cadbury’s is certainly seen as a ‘British brand’ - I wouldn’t be surprised if they looked to develop a midway based on this concept.

It would certainly fit that brief better than Shrek anyway.

The London midways are heavily geared towards foreign tourists and Cadbury’s is certainly seen as a ‘British brand’ - I wouldn’t be surprised if they looked to develop a midway based on this concept.

It would certainly fit that brief better than Shrek anyway.

My immediate thinking was something in County Hall replacing Shrek. Reviews are still relatively positive for it though, so maybe it'll be a new location.

Seeing how ridiculously well M&M's World has done (for some inexplicable reason!) along with the likes of the Coca Cola stores has probably pushed Cadbury and Merlin to partner up. It really wouldn't surprise me if a mix of ideas from M&M's World, Cadbury World and Coca Cola was used as a blueprint to develop something. Some sort of large scale store, but using Merlin's experience to develop an interactive paid element too.

My immediate thinking was something in County Hall replacing Shrek. Reviews are still relatively positive for it though, so maybe it'll be a new location.

Seeing how ridiculously well M&M's World has done (for some inexplicable reason!) along with the likes of the Coca Cola stores has probably pushed Cadbury and Merlin to partner up. It really wouldn't surprise me if a mix of ideas from M&M's World, Cadbury World and Coca Cola was used as a blueprint to develop something. Some sort of large scale store, but using Merlin's experience to develop an interactive paid element too.

Seeing the news that Lego Discovery Centres are being relaunched too, the store and paid experience thing is a direction they are heading in.

This isn't related to Merlin taking over, but by Grandma grew up in Birmingham and did the Cadbury's tour in the 1930s (I'm not sure if it was called Cadbury's World back then. But probably not). In those days it was a guided tour that took you around the working factory, rather the midway experience you get now. The whole thing was free and you got a box of chocolates at the end (possibly a Milk Tray, but I'm not certain).

Cadbury World Blackpool anyone?

I think it’s probably a good thing for both parties. I’ve not been to Cadbury world for a few years now but it seemed a bit confused with what it wanted to be. It’s half museum, half ride, half interactive madam Tussaud’s style, complete with a play ground and a 4D.

But I do think we’ll see a lot more of the brand about, and with it being part of merlin they’ll be able to push it across all their other places as well.

Bude Tunnel!

Seriously though, not many - Warner Bros. Studio Tour, SnowDome, Xscape, Eden Project, World of Beatrix Potter, Jorvik, some minor attractions at MediaCityUK, a few brewery tours here and there, but I suppose they're closer to educational attractions and museums than "midways."

Merlin is a ruthless monopoliser.

Bude Tunnel, not been there for years. It is a work of art though. 11/10

Bit of a strange announcement to "commence operation" when the attraction doesn't reopen until 24th January and tickets aren't on sale yet. I get that they have management of the attraction now, but to announce that in a press release when they're not actually open is a tad confusing! Still not word on whether or not it's going to be included on the passes too, despite nearly a year since the announcement.

The Aramark deal was only for the UK theme parks and Warwick Castle, so presumably all the midway stuff is still run by Merlin.
Do many of the midways have catering ? I am trying to recall what's in the Tower these days. It was Burger Kitchen (or some variation on it) at some point.

Cadbury World has always been a bit naff, it's one of the few attractions in the UK I don't think Merlin could ruin! Haven't been for quite a few years but seemed to just be an Aztec walkthrough, an awful track ride (my husband apparently got stuck on it for an hour on a school trip, probably explains a lot 🤣) a very perfunctory view of the production line (giant dairy milk bars) and a packaging exhibition. Oh and a massive shop, of course! It's never felt remotely like a proper factory tour. I doubt Merlin will have the power to change that but I'm curious to see if they do make any changes to try to make it a bit more coherent as an experience.