• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

California's Great America: General Discussion

KTVU News Channel was at the park to see the ride being topped-off. Click here to see the video of the report.

:)

Edit: (10/02/2013) Pure Coaster has another construction update of Gold Striker here.

According to this article, the first drop on Gold Striker is probably going to be being covered up to create what will be the longest covered drop on a wooden coaster ever.

The finished product:

BEZlByuCUAI0OzJ.jpg:large

Shame the ride's backdrop is so monstrously ugly. Hooray for British stately homes and other more rural locales!

California's Great America Insider has an opening day photo report here with some shots of Gold Striker still going up too.

Is there a particular reason why they did that? I looks awful for what was a nice looking ride :/

That tunnel thing on the drop might be there to reduce the noise. It looks horrid :(

A fresh computer generated POV of Gold Striker has been made with the tunnel added to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvQyvt1mfmQ#ws

The tunnel doesn't look great and it's a shame the train will no longer be visible from the observation tower but if the inside of the tunnel is pitch black then it could make for a really fun opening to the ride?

:)

Looks good but not one of the better GCI designs.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Screamscape is reporting that Gold Striker has had to close again for more soundproofing walls and materials to help reduce noise levels further. They suspect it's to do with the riders screams rather than the ride's own noise.

Photos of the new anti-scream tunnel and other additions to reduce noise levels can be seen here. This is turning into quite an ugly coaster. :/

From looking like one of GCI's most remarkably average rides, to looking like one of the best.

I think the new tunnels and walls in odd places add to it, actually.

Apart from cementing my impression that GCI seem to be making shorter coasters of late, it does look superb!