• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Can someone tell me the name of the ride?

Weby72

TS Member
I have a memory of visiting Alton Towers with school in around 1983/84/85 and going on a ride that was like the Pirate Ship/Magic Carpet, but the gondola went totally over. It would pause with you upside down, before continuing over; I think it used to go one way then stop and repeat but swinging the other way. the restraint was a block that pushed into your stomach. Then there was an overhead cage. When it paused upside down, all you'd hear was the chinking of money falling out of pockets and hitting the metal overhead (now underneath you) cage and the platform below :D . I only remember it being there one or two visits around that time, then after that it was gone.

I've searched on sites listing former rides, but I cannot find it anywhere. The name is inside my noggin, but lost amongst all the other rubbish in there. One of those 'I'll know it when I see it' things.

Maybe I'm having a mixed-up memory and it was a different park - but I don't think so (in my memory there's trees and a mental link to going on the corkscrew)

Reactions: Tom
I have a memory of visiting Alton Towers with school in around 1983/84/85 and going on a ride that was like the Pirate Ship/Magic Carpet, but the gondola went totally over. It would pause with you upside down, before continuing over; I think it used to go one way then stop and repeat but swinging the other way. the restraint was a block that pushed into your stomach. Then there was an overhead cage. When it paused upside down, all you'd hear was the chinking of money falling out of pockets and hitting the metal overhead (now underneath you) cage and the platform below :D . I only remember it being there one or two visits around that time, then after that it was gone.

I've searched on sites listing former rides, but I cannot find it anywhere. The name is inside my noggin, but lost amongst all the other rubbish in there. One of those 'I'll know it when I see it' things.

Maybe I'm having a mixed-up memory and it was a different park - but I don't think so (in my memory there's trees and a mental link to going on the corkscrew)
Spaceboat, which operated only in 1983?
Edit: Beaten to it by @AT86.

Slightly off topic however I took a different route to Towers yesterday and I’m sure the Eiffel Tower structure at 0:28 in that footage now resides in someones land nearby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My mates went on the space boat at towers. I refused it !!

It was a very good ride for emptying your pockets of loose change !

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Slightly off topic however I took a different route to Towers yesterday and I’m sure the Eiffel Tower structure at 0:28 in that footage now resides in someones land nearby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That is true. The Eiffel Tower from the Miniature Golf is definitely now located not that far away from the park. Interestingly, a pretty much identical model of the Eiffel Tower was also once part of a mini golf at Europa Park.