• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Capacity & Throughput

AirFAN

TS Member
Just wondering what the maximum capacity at Alton Towers is?

How many people will visit the park on an average Saturday and on a 'school/work day'.

At the parks maximum capacity, would everyone be able to ride on the parks ride with the biggest throughput? (assuming everyone met the height restrictions etc.)

Which ride has the biggest throughput at the park?

In terms of Rollercoasters Oblivion has the best throughput on the park I think.

Flats/Dark rides I'd say Duel.

Park's maximum capacity is 28,000 guests.

Saturday's will be fairly busy with 40 minute+ waits for the main rollercoasters (Apart from The Smiler that will always be around 2 Hours)

School/Work Days are normally Walk On/Walk Off I'd imagine, when I went it was pretty much like that.

a very quiet day is anything less than 4000, it feels light between 4,000 and 11,000. Moderate feel to the place is around 11,000 to 15,000 and it starts to feel busy anywhere above 15,000 at a guess.

Extremely busy is when the park starts edging upwards of 22,000 and fireworks could sometimes easily pull in 25,000+

Not certain but i THINK the park capacity is around 32,000 for fire safety but as LoD says i don't think they like going above 28,000 (i could easily be wrong) it certainly hasn't gone above 30,000 in donkeys years. In theory the ride with the biggest throughput is Oblivion (1,600pph when it opened) but due to H&S changes it never gets close to that these days. The two coasters to practically get decent throughputs in Nemesis and Th13teen both of which push around the 1,300 mark. So if we take an 8 hour day Nemesis should be able to process around 10,000 guests.

So a bit of mathmatics if the park runs for 8 hours

*BING-BONG* This is a member announcement. Would Duckman please report to this topic. Duckman to the throughput topic please. Thankyou. *BING-BONG*

I know that in theory, the highest capacity ride is Oblivion, which used to be capable of about 1,600pph. Not that it has got anywhere near that for years, mind you. I'd guess the lowest would be Spinball?

As for maximum park capacity, I don't know exact figures, but they usually hit it on fireworks weekend. I believe it's somewhere in the region of 22-26,000 guests? *waits to be corrected*

On such stupidly busy days, I would say that the average guest has absolutely no chance of riding everything. Mainly due to fastrack. In fact, even if they used fastrack, I doubt they would be able to.

Edit: Beaten to it.

A busy day it would be wise to avoid any low throughput rides that are popular (Rita, I'm looking at you)

Largest throughput is the monorail, surely? :p But on park, statistically it is Oblivion but in reality it is Nemesis and TH13TEEN

No idea how The Smiler is doing throughput wise.

I heard there were 18,000 in on Friday, not sure how many over the weekend but surely it must have exceeded that?

Poison Tom 96 said:
A busy day it would be wise to avoid any low throughput rides that are popular (Rita, I'm looking at you)

No idea how The Smiler is doing throughput wise.
It's being clocked between 700-1000pph at the moment I think.

The highest throughput ride in the park, excluding the skyride and monorail, is the rapids by a large margin - it'll get over 1600/hour

Ah, of course. I always think in terms of coasters only :p It'd be interesting to know what duel gets, thinking about it.

Theoretical maximum for Duel is 1,296pph, apparently.
Linky

I have no idea whether it gets that much, though. :p

Duel can very easily get 1100pph if there's a queue.

Park hasn't hit capacity donkeys years - the busiest day of the year is usually the last scarefest saturday recently.

*looks around and gets ready to low the tone*
I wonder what the throughput of toilets are :D

*exits stage left, with tone suitably lowered*

How does the Smiler work in terms of loading/unloading? Does unloading/loading take place at the same time?

There is just the one platform. At least they have been quick at opening the airgates (unlike Oblivion), so you are stepping on to the train as the previous guests are getting off.

AirFAN said:
Which ride has the biggest throughput at the park?

I know its not technically a ride, but I just like saying that the Monorail can achieve a maximum throughput of 4100pph :p

Oblivion was doing really well for throughput today. No Airgate faff or anything!

Yeah, there was still a bit of confusion over restraint checking but stacking was minimal and airgates opened as soon as the restraints lifted up. Good to see.

Thank god for that! Hopefully it continues, the airgate faff of late has been utterly pointless and frustrating!

:)

I noticed this on Saturday. Our shuttle was dispatched before the 2nd of the previous pair reached the drop conveyor. It's not quite as quick as the ride is capable of, but a massive improvement on having 4 shuttles waiting on the brakes every time they dispatch.

The staff still have to give a signal before checking the restraints, but this doesn't really incur any delays.