• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Car Parking

jon81uk said:
they need to upgrade the current barriers to the same ones that Thorpe have

They really don't. Having worked there a year, I'd be mortified if they got barriers that didn't work in the rain, don't recognise tickets when it's sunny and then to compound it all, have them facing the afternoon/evening sun.

All they need do is boost the entrance fee an inconsequential amount and get rid of car park barriers and charges full stop. People buying tickets won't care/notice for the most part, everyone won't be cross and annoyed when it comes to leaving at the end of day, plus extra staff being paid to (for the most part) stand around and do nothing won't need to exist.

They can't expand the road in remember, the aren't allowed to do anything to the fields.

I don't see them getting rid of the parking charge either. It is a good incentive for car-sharing at the moment as if you have 4 people in one car it works out cheaper.

Not to mention it's the biggest perk of a premium pass. I certainly would not have one if it wasn't for the parking, apart from the priority entrance to midways the rest is useless to us really. Oh yeah, and fright nights I spose.

Seriously.

The amount of people coming in say, after 2pm, just have them buy tickets from the window for half price.

They wouldn't do it anyway because it's saving people money that's not really the Merlin ethic.

James said:
It's possible to create a system and not have mass congestion (like I said it's a tried and tested system in busy city centres). Although yes it would involve some investment I doubt Towers or Merlin are willing to bother with.
I highly doubt any town centre car parking system has the capability to have a couple of thousand cars enter per hour.

Remember towers can hold something like 5000 cars, sure that's a capacity day but this means any busy day will hold around 3000 cars which will almost all arrive between 9 and 11.

Your 6 barriers entry would need 6 clear lanes continually afterwards lead to a space, plus every car would need to take 5 seconds or so to process at minimum, you're bound to have queues on entry when it takes less than 5 seconds to park 4 cars at the moment (think there's 2 carpark entries).

In addition to the above issues, a reduced price for later on is utterly pointless as the normal opening hours are so short. If Towers opened until 10pm as Universal do then it would make sense, but as it is they may as well just leave it as it is.

Could they open one of the fields that they use for overflow parking at events such as Scarefest for afternoon arrivers? Then as The Man said they could have someone on the gates of that field taking money. They wouldn't need a huge amount of space because I doubt that many people arrive in the afternoon.

Pixie-Ro said:
Could they open one of the fields that they use for overflow parking at events such as Scarefest for afternoon arrivers? Then as The Man said they could have someone on the gates of that field taking money. They wouldn't need a huge amount of space because I doubt that many people arrive in the afternoon.

Sounds like a job I want to give to Diogo for some reason ;D

TheMan said:
Pixie-Ro said:

Sounds like a job I want to give to Diogo for some reason ;D

I could think of many people suitable for the role... ;)

NF2 said:
With Disney you have to bear in mind that there are four parks as well... It's fine if you're staying on property as you get a parking pass, but if you stay off property and visit all four parks, that's nearly $70 on parking alone. Plus if you park hop a few times that's even more. I was recently speaking to an Orlando Taxi driver who told me said parking charge even applies to them for pick ups from within the Magic Kingdom area. So if you want a taxi from the Contemporary or Grand Floridian, expect an extra $17 whacked on said bill. Disney magic eh ;)

If you buy a parking pass for a park (say for example Magic Kingdom) at the start of the day you can use it to park hop. IE, you don't have to pay another $17 parking if you hop to Hollywood Studios on the same day.

You DO NOT have to pay for parking if you're visiting the MK resorts or even being picked up from the Magic Kingdom, I've been picked up by my parents plenty of times and they never had to pay, I've also driven myself to the resort hotels, you DON'T have to pay! That taxi driver is lying. Plain and simple, trying to charge extra to unknowing tourists.

To add to the above parking for under 2 hours is free at Disney but I have no idea how that is enforced, because you could say at the start off the day your just nipping in for 1 hour but stay all day.

Back on topic.

They need to sort out the bit of road that leads to the express/disabled car park, a ride on spinball with all the wheels square would be smoother.

Another parking price update for those that moan about what Towers charge. Six Flags Great Adventure have reportedly increased their standard parking charge by $3 to $25. Yes you read that correctly, $25 which is almost £15! Madness!

:)

$25 is quite shocking, however, they (Six Flags) are currently trying to get as many people to have season passes as they can, so a Great Adventure Gold Season pass allows unlimited access to All Six Flags parks and includes car parking at all parks for a measly $104 which is £62.27 - Merlin Equivalent (Premium pass) £199

For the price of a one day ticket at Great Adventure - $66 + $25 parking for approx $10 more you can get a Six Flags Gold Season pass.