• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Carowinds: General Discussion

I think the fact it is a like for like replacement all but confirms that the root cause was probably a dogey weld.

I think the fact it is a like for like replacement all but confirms that the root cause was probably a dogey weld.
Or maybe it could have been something like subsidence?

Either way, I agree that the fact that the support has been replaced like-for-like would suggest that the issue was not caused by anything to do with the ride forces or the support’s original design.

Or maybe it could have been something like subsidence?

Either way, I agree that the fact that the support has been replaced like-for-like would suggest that the issue was not caused by anything to do with the ride forces or the support’s original design.

Doubtful. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think they did any work to thr footer, which pretty much rules subsidence out. As the subsidence and footer would have needed fixing before they bolted a new support to it.

Doubtful. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think they did any work to thr footer, which pretty much rules subsidence out. As the subsidence and footer would have needed fixing before they bolted a new support to it.
Ah, that’s a fair point. Ignore my previous comment, then!

I can only apologise for my pedantics...and every day is a school day.
Dogey...american expression for a motherless calf.
Could that be a dodgy weld?

I can only apologise for my pedantics...and every day is a school day.
Dogey...american expression for a motherless calf.
Could that be a dodgy weld?

Its fine. I'm confused what do you mean? I'm a bit slow today. You'll have to excuse me.

Do we know it's a like for like replacement, aside from appearance?

Good point, no we don't. But it certainly appears to be. They could have used a stronger steel. But, considering the original crack originated from the weld and not work has been carried out on the footer. Would suggest this. Even if they used a stronger grade steel, it would possibly make no difference seeing as it was a weld and not the actual support that failed. If that makes sense.

Its fine. I'm confused what do you mean? I'm a bit slow today. You'll have to excuse me.

Good point, no we don't. But it certainly appears to be. They could have used a stronger steel. But, considering the original crack originated from the weld and not work has been carried out on the footer. Would suggest this. Even if they used a stronger grade steel, it would possibly make no difference seeing as it was a weld and not the actual support that failed. If that makes sense.
Completely off topic...sorry...but you typed "dogey weld" instead of "dodgy weld".
I am a sad word juggler who already knew that a dogey is a motherless calf.
In playing word of the week this afternoon, one of my punters not only knew what a dogey was, but told me that Roy Rogers sang about one, which ties us back in nicely with an american theme park.
So if they are using motherless calves as welders, no wonder they have problems.