• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cedar Fair going cashless in 2022

Amazons grab and go stores do NOT use QR codes for tracking what you grab, they took the UPS approach and built their own barcode symbology.

QR codes tend to be used alongside standard ean-13 barcodes as they can for some applications like logistics just be the better option, but for some high volume scanning needs even QR codes won't do (notice how train tickets don't use QR codes)

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

Amazons grab and go stores do NOT use QR codes for tracking what you grab, they took the UPS approach and built their own barcode symbology.

QR codes tend to be used alongside standard ean-13 barcodes as they can for some applications like logistics just be the better option, but for some high volume scanning needs even QR codes won't do (notice how train tickets don't use QR codes)

Sent from my Swift 2 using Tapatalk

QR codes main purpose is the fact they hold more information than a standard barcode can. I have no idea how laser tech works but QR codes are a lot easier to scan now than they were only a few years ago (this is stating to cause problems as tills are now starting to pick them up over the old bar code and if they're not on file it won't recognise it).

I thought Amazon Fresh used QR's as part of the tech through the cameras (I have no idea if there's a technical term for them) as not all products in an Amazon Fresh store have RFID readable tags embedded? I've never been on one myself and have only read about it on the Grocer before they came to the UK with it. I understand they've been quite secretive with the tech and have only released info they needed to for their patents?

QR codes main purpose is the fact they hold more information than a standard barcode can. I have no idea how laser tech works but QR codes are a lot easier to scan now than they were only a few years ago (this is stating to cause problems as tills are now starting to pick them up over the old bar code and if they're not on file it won't recognise it).

I thought Amazon Fresh used QR's as part of the tech through the cameras (I have no idea if there's a technical term for them) as not all products in an Amazon Fresh store have RFID readable tags embedded? I've never been on one myself and have only read about it on the Grocer before they came to the UK with it. I understand they've been quite secretive with the tech and have only released info they needed to for their patents?

Nope! QR codes are really the most basic 2d barcode (yes QR code's are barcodes) format, they are good for sharing links and stuff like that but not where high volume scanning or must always scan is important.

IIRC amazon use a combination of detecting a sort of barcode that's made out of dots along with shape Rekognition for their just walk out tech, and at a quick googling they don't even use QR codes to scan into the store!

Most barcode scanners are now cameras not lasers, that’s why they can read from phone screens and pick up QR codes. Lasers can only read the old barcodes.