• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington: When was its 'golden era'?

Nah, fifth dimension was incredible. It had a proper story to it that flowed with the ride and was told with humour. The effects for the time were fantastic. I don't doubt that by now it would have aged horribly if not frequently update with more modern effects (imagine!!), but as a ride experience it was a huge downgrade for me.

I don’t doubt Tomb was more popular overall though, it had a clearer theme that set appropriate expectations for riders.

Don't forget that because of how old it is and the technology at the time all the pov's are really poor quality, especially as low light recordings. It was something to experience, not watch.

Agreed

I rode both and there was something just intangibly magical about 5th Dimension, so of it's time, so quirky, so unique, it felt quite cinematic when on it - and it really fired ones imagination, I'd go as far too say 5D felt more immersive that TT. And there was also that element of 'what is this' the first time riding!

It also had this smell - that every now and again I catch it somewhere and am transported back!

Terror Tomb had a clearer theme and worked better as a 'land' - and made more sense as an 'adventure' - but what was lost was something a bit left field and imaginative! Also 5D was ahead of its time for being interactive (guests had to smash a hexagonal illuminated button in front of them to 'defeat the Gorg).

It also had this smell - that every now and again I catch it somewhere and am transported back!

Yes, 100%. It was the specific brand of dry ice used I believe. They used to use it at Butlins too, and I've been hit with it at a couple of London shows. Not smelt it for a few years now though.

I hadn’t heard of Chessington to 1995 when I saw this advert

By then I had only been to Drayton Manor, Alton Towers and the American adventure. My parents didn’t take me but I managed to get sun free tickets for Oct 1998 so me and my m8 get the coach to London then a coach to Chessington.
We both loved it and we went again the following year with other m8’s on the train.
They were adding great rides over the years but I think it peaked in 2001 as was so gutted when tomb blaster replaced my favourite ride, then my 2nd favourite ride Samurai in 2003 and then the original BubbleWorks closed 2 years later and the lack of major investment I not been back since 2008.

They were adding great rides over the years but I think it peaked in 2001 as was so gutted when tomb blaster replaced my favourite ride, then my 2nd favourite ride Samurai in 2003 and then the original BubbleWorks closed 2 years later and the lack of major investment I not been back since 2008.
In the 10 years I had been going to the park only Samurai made me think WOW that was installed.
The opening of Tomb Blaster in 2002 is definitely something to point at when talking about the end of Chessington's golden era.
Beanoland in 2000 could also be considered, but it doesn't look like a terrible area.

Really enjoyed Beanoland, it was fun and memorable, also worked better as a separate IP area. A wackier theme too than the more generic feeling IP themes now. It was much cheaper feeling than the other areas though.

Might be the nostalgia talking but Beanoland on opening was great.

The shows, lots of interactive elements to find, very good realisation of the comics at the time.

Plus the Dodgems soundtrack was great.

Oh yeah tomblaster was definitely the day it changed. Although Beno land (who could forget Keith cheq adverts) was a step down and stopped the coherent theme in my eyes.

I still think the Ramses area and queline was simply amazing. They did so well with that. The highlight off all my school trips was that and the vampire.

It's sad that nothing replaced the sky ride monorail. That was the chill part of the day for us. That and the otters.