• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

So shoot me, when a kid tells me to go and park in a waterlogged field and nearly 30 years of driving experience tells me that is not a good idea because I will get stuck, I'm going to side with what my life experience tells me and not what the kid who isn't even old enough to drive tells me to do.

You know, it's called common sense, and who said anything about being rude and judgemental about it? If they actually speak to me instead of waving their arms in a dictatory way, I politely tell them I'm not parking in the waterlogged field and will park in the hard standing MAP car park, where I'm entitled to park normally.

So are you guys seriously saying if you were told to park in a waterlogged field by someone not even old enough to drive, you would? More fool you.
What you are saying does make sense but by the way in which you are saying it you are making yourself seem very rude, self entitled and stubborn. You are probably none of these things, it's just the way you worded it.

There is no reason to belittle younger staff members by saying they don't know what they're on about just because of their age, they work just as hard as everyone else.

There is no reason to belittle younger staff members by saying they don't know what they're on about just because of their age, they work just as hard as everyone else

I think we have a different view, someone who openly admittedly to me they had never driven a car and had never taken a test, but knew my car wouldn't get stuck in the muddy field because 'it just won't' definitely doesn't know what they're on about and it has everything to do with their age, they simply were not old enough to know what it's like trying to get their stuck car out of a muddy field.

There is nothing belittling about saying "look sorry mate, I know if I park where you are telling me to I will get stuck, regardless of whether you tell me I won't, I will, so I'll just park here on the hard standing carpark, thanks".

If I come across as stubborn maybe it's because I'm a tad fedup of being told what to do by people barely out of school who have no experience in what they're telling me to do, that's all.

I think we have a different view, someone who openly admittedly to me they had never driven a car and had never taken a test, but knew my car wouldn't get stuck in the muddy field because 'it just won't' definitely doesn't know what they're on about and it has everything to do with their age, they simply were not old enough to know what it's like trying to get their stuck car out of a muddy field.

There is nothing belittling about saying "look sorry mate, I know if I park where you are telling me to I will get stuck, regardless of whether you tell me I won't, I will, so I'll just park here on the hard standing carpark, thanks".

If I come across as stubborn maybe it's because I'm a tad fedup of being told what to do by people barely out of school who have no experience in what they're telling me to do, that's all.
I think you’re missing the point. Regardless of whether the person you speak to is young, or has an acne problem, the car park host will always tell you to park where they’ve been instructed to direct you. Their job is to get people parked as quickly as possible.

The whole reason they make you park on grass is because there isn’t enough of the gravelled surface to fit every car, therefore it wouldn’t be fair to let you park on the gravel just because you think you know better. I’m sure every other car that gets bogged down in the mud will be just as frustrated as you.

I 100% get your frustration with the grass car parks, but there’s no reason to go after the front line staff, especially not for their age or appearance, as that’s just rude and unnecessary. It’s not their fault it’s muddy, im sure the same arguments happen every time it rains. They’re just doing their job. Any older member of staff would’ve done the same.

If I come across as stubborn maybe it's because I'm a tad fedup of being told what to do by people barely out of school who have no experience
They are staff, the whole point of them being there is to tell you what to do, their age does not invalidate that! If every guest refused to follow the rules there would be chaos, you are no more important than any other guest, if you don't want to follow the instructions of staff then don't visit and definitely don't give them a hard time about it. We all go on about how bad the GP can be but christ........

They are staff, the whole point of them being there is to tell you what to do, their age does not invalidate that! If every guest refused to follow the rules there would be chaos, you are no more important than any other guest, if you don't want to follow the instructions of staff then don't visit and definitely don't give them a hard time about it. We all go on about how bad the GP can be but christ........

Oh my, so I assume if a staff member told you to stand under a tree in a thunderstorm you would.....

Oh my, so I assume if a staff member told you to stand under a tree in a thunderstorm you would.....
tumblr_inline_p56pdurTA01r72y15_250.gif

---

But seriously, that's a good point. I forgot parking your car on grass was certain to kill you. Truly a comparable life or death situation.

Roll your eyes all you want but isn't that exactly what you two said, do exactly what your told by a staff member regardless of consequences because it's their job to tell you what to do....

Roll your eyes all you want but isn't that exactly what you two said, do exactly what your told by a staff member regardless of consequences because it's their job to tell you what to do....
You're right, I should follow your advice. Next time I go to the park I will announce that I will not be parking where everyone else parks because I am above every other guest and I refuse to listen to the staff and tell them to sod off because my superior age and the fact that some of them have spots means that I do not have to pay attention to what they say.

You are acting like a 5 year old, honestly I give up.

Actually, I said its their job to tell you where to park, and I explained the reasons they can't let you dictate where you want to go. Of course I also said you ought to be less prejudice, that its rude to insult people for their age or appearance. They're working hard to earn their living, just like you or I.

Nobody is suggesting you blindly follow unrelated instructions, least not one's that'll get you killed...

Yeah slight wrong choice of words there stuie lol

You're right, I should follow your advice. Next time I go to the park I will announce that I will not be parking where everyone else parks because I am above every other guest and I refuse to listen to the staff and tell them to sod off because my superior age and the fact that some of them have spots means that I do not have to pay attention to what they say.

You are acting like a 5 year old, honestly I give up.

As has been pointed out, all this started because I told a kid who didn't drive that I wasn't parking in the waterlogged field even though he said it would be fine because 30 years driving experience told me I'd get stuck, regardless of what he thought or said...

Now read your reply back again and tell me which one of us is acting like a five year old? Unless you're that kid of course?

Jesus the reactions here make it sound like I killed the poor lad.

I rest my case; you have just demonstrated my point perfectly.

Driving age is 17, by the way.

If you read back, you'll see I said that during the conversation, he said that he had never passed the driving test and didn't drive himself.

If you read back, you'll see I said that during the conversation, he said that he had never passed the driving test and didn't drive himself.
Strange conversation that must have been for it to go there for a staff member to start talking about his driving abilities.

Nevertheless, you have made it clear that you have problems listening to young staff members in general, not just this poor fellow.

At the end of the day, if you are so self entitled and have such a need to feel above everyone else that you would rather give staff a hard time than park on the car park then that is up to you.

The thing that has got me the most is your belief that you are not required to follow instructions from anyone who is younger than yourself, which is a bad attitude that is generally lost after leaving school.

I recommend getting the train, then you don't have to 'discuss' anything with the parking staff :laughing:

In all seriousness though, it's a shame they can't at least use a geogrid system to stop everyone's car sinking in the mud.

Oh my God @MakoMania, I'll give you a quick rundown cos it wasn't a strange conversation at all, then hopefully we can go back to the original subject matter.

Me: hi
Him: hi follow the road round to the left please
Me: Hmm, last time I parked there I got stuck and it's been raining cats and dogs, do you mind if I go into the MAP carpark? here's my MAP..
Him: no follow the road round to the left and park where you're told to, it'll be fine you won't get stuck.
Me: Well I did before and I don't fancy doing it again.
Him: mumbles something and says it'll be fine, you won't get stuck, I promise.
Me: well I've been driving 30 years and that experience tells me I'm going to get stuck, how long have you been driving?
Him: I don't drive.
Me: huh?
Him: I've never bothered to learn.
Me: oh, (we both laugh) ok so can I go into the map car park now please?
Him: suppose so.

See not strange, I just didn't want to get stuck for a second time.

Edit, was typing this up while the other replies came in, I won't bother replying again.