• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

How about if people here stop unequivocally taking the side of the park over concerned members of the public until you can be certain of no wrong-doing? Equally, you can't assume wrong-doing either as evidence must be presented, but the tone of certainty used by some people on this topic is inappropriate.

I don't really see why Chessington couldn't have taken the rabbits into a warm building while they waited for the appropriate animal services, seeing as that is obviously the decent thing to do, that any of us would have done if we'd found these animals. I don't really buy the idea that there would be cross contamination of possible diseases if they had been kept separate from the Zoo, which they could quite easily do.

Having said that, that observation is completely based on hearsay and little information, so by no means can any opinion be accurate as of this time.

Thanks for bringing this up AR12. Like many others, it passed me by.

Forgive me, but every time I see a hurricane of Facebook posts by angry women like this, I automatically have to ask if the story has been posted on Mumsnet.

I bet the person who actually abandoned the rabbits in the car park must be looking at all this and laughing at the fact that Chessington are getting such a beating while they have got off scott free.

If I found two rabbits left on my driveway, even though it's obviously not my fault in anyway, I'd at least take them indoors until RSPCA picked them up.

This is why I don't like using Facebook.

Everything we are reading here is a mess. No one really knows what's going on, most people commenting probably don't care and are joining in out of boredom and a non-event which probably happens from time to time has been blown out into a big thing.

That is all I have to say on the matter.

I'd have made some pastry and got skinning. They're rabbits ffs, facebook people need to chill the hell out.

Chessington isn't an animal sanctuary, if they take them in it'd just encourage others to dump animals there. If people are going to be angry at someone it should be the dumper.

Chessie isn't an animal shelter, you're right yes. Obviously, the blame for this goes to the bad person who dumped the rabbits. But any decent person if this happened at their house would at least bring them inside until they the actual animal shelter arrives. It doesn't cost them anything apart from a lettuce or two. It's just common decency. I don't see why we should expect any different of a company...

I'm sure there would be an area that they could keep them that wouldn't pose a potential risk to other animals but I absolutely see their point that as a zoo, they shouldn't be bringing animals in that could pose a risk to their other animals.
Yet another perfect exams of a theme park Facebook page being overrun by people intent on causing problems. We have seen it all before (too many times).

Sam said:
Chessie isn't an animal shelter, you're right yes. Obviously, the blame for this goes to the bad person who dumped the rabbits. But any decent person if this happened at their house would at least bring them inside until they the actual animal shelter arrives. It doesn't cost them anything apart from a lettuce or two. It's just common decency. I don't see why we should expect any different of a company...

We don't actually know if Chessie did take them inside or not though... The issue is people jumping onto a bandwagon throwing 'facts' around the place when no-one actually knows what happened...

I think it stemmed from the person being angry they had to drive (DRIVE AND DO THEIR JOB NONETHELESS) 40 minutes to pick the rabbits up when no doubt they thought Chessie should do it for them...

Benzin said:
We don't actually know if Chessie did take them inside or not though... The issue is people jumping onto a bandwagon throwing 'facts' around the place when no-one actually knows what happened...

I think it stemmed from the person being angry they had to drive (DRIVE AND DO THEIR JOB NONETHELESS) 40 minutes to pick the rabbits up when no doubt they thought Chessie should do it for them...

What's brilliant about this post is that the first half describes the second. Evidenceless speculation ahoy!

Notice the term I THINK...

Quite different to "I'm going to boycott your park because you did this, this and this", my comment was purely speculative about the situation, rather than actually making a case for it...

Always amusing that the battle is now always on Facebook. People who've never visited the park throwing out their opinions on the evil of Merlin.

I will just point out that I heard somewhere that all zoos in the country are being visited and taking part in a huge census at the moment, so it maybe would've been important not to get animals mixed up on this certain day.

Although regardless of reason, I personally believe the duty of a zoo is to protect and showcase animals, and the rabbits should've been at least taken inside until they could be dealt with properly.

I can only speculate but I'd imagine that Chessington as a business don't have a corporate policy on dealing with stray animals randomly abandoned on their property (in the same way that, like, Thorpe Park don't...) and that maybe this was just an example of one member of staff, almost certainly working for admissions or something like that if they were near the entrance, dealing badly with the issue, but this then reflecting on the attitude of the park as a whole? Or have I missed something?

NastyPasty said:
I will just point out that I heard somewhere that all zoos in the country are being visited and taking part in a huge census at the moment, so it maybe would've been important not to get animals mixed up on this certain day.
Fairly certain that was just a London Zoo publicity stunt :p

That aside, (not that I've got much to add that hasn't been said already) this whole situation is a good example of the dangers of Facebook. As Sam points out, the 'bad guy' here is whoever left the rabbits in the first place, not that anyone on Facebook seems to care. Exactly what happened is unclear (mainly because of these people posting 'facts' regardless of accuracy left right and centre), so without knowing the entire story, it's difficult to know to what extent Chessington are in the wrong.

Earthwürm said:
Why would all Zoos take part in a London Zoo publicity stunt? I assure you it was genuine.
Every news article relating to this census concentrated on London Zoo. Type in 'Zoo Census' into Google, and the first few results relate specifically to London Zoo.

Anyway, this isn't exactly related to this topic.

I worked at Twycross Zoo, it took place there too. Which means it is relevant if it affected the situation...but it probably didn't.

See, all I heard of this cenus was to do with Chester Zoo, so I think it may have been true.

Chessington couldn't accept these animals due to them not knowing where they had been or what their health was like. For all they knew they could've had a serious disease that could've endangered the other animals.

They had to act for their animals first, as they were their priority remember!

The zoo census is a very real, and very important annual event for zoo's and animal parks.

I can't believe this rabbit incident is even news? Chessington have to protect the welfare of their own animals, and if the rabbits present any risk, no matter how small, then they should not be taken into the park.