• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

That looks so much better than Tomb Blaster, although perhaps a bit too dark for the young family demographic!
Yeah it was pretty scary as a kid; nothing on wicked witches haunt over at Thorpe though! Of course a lot of Terror Tomb still remains in Tomb Blaster, but it's nowhere near the standard it once was.

Before that of course it was the 5th Dimension, featuring Zappomatic, which was just a little bit before my time.

And Chessington Samurai >>>>> Thorpe Sumarai. I remember the marketing campaign was very much focused on extreme thrills and pure fear. Much like Oblivion the year before. And I'm sure it used to consistently run on intense settings.

samurai5.jpg

Image from southparks

Last edited:
Really?! I thought Samurai at Thorpe was pretty intense when I rode it in July 2018, so I'm surprised by that!

The current incarnation of Samurai just slowly turns you about in the air. At Chessington you were pinned to the right hand side of your OTSR. It used to get queues all the way back to Terror Tomb.

Mind you, in the glory days, the queue for Rameses would fill the whole elevated queue, then have an extention stretching up past Terror Tomb, all the way along the edge of Dragon Falls, and up to the Magic Carpet!
... That's when it ran a program worth queuing for, mind.

The current incarnation of Samurai just slowly turns you about in the air. At Chessington you were pinned to the right hand side of your OTSR. It used to get queues all the way back to Terror Tomb.

Mind you, in the glory days, the queue for Rameses would fill the whole elevated queue, then have an extention stretching up past Terror Tomb, all the way along the edge of Dragon Falls, and up to the Magic Carpet!
... That's when it ran a program worth queuing for, mind.
Slowly? Our ride on Samurai was whacking us about like crazy! It was awesome! I suppose I haven't done many flat rides, though. And I suppose your definition of slow is subjective.

Slowly? Our ride on Samurai was whacking us about like crazy! It was awesome! I suppose I haven't done many flat rides, though. And I suppose your definition of slow is subjective.

Subjectively, I'd agree with @DiogoJ42. When I had a go on Samurai earlier this year, I was a bit bored and was just having a nice look around the park. It's nowhere near as intense as it used to be and it's never been as intense at Thorpe as it was at Chessington.

Also, when other seats on your row have yellow 'do not use' tape on them, it's a bit off-putting!

The only top scan I've done is the one at Winter Wonderland, it took me by surprise to say the least.

I have been to Thorpe Park nearly 10 times now between 2013 and 2018 and Samurai has not been open on a single one of my visits.

Samurai used to run insanely well back at Chessie, but with that caused some issues with the structure if I recall correctly... Hence why the move has resulted in tamer sequences...

Then it got spited to Thorpe due to the diverge towards kids park and the only improvement was having the numbers on the floor rather than the pods (the amount of problems THAT caused)...

I think it still has one or two intense settings on there...

Tbf you can still get a good ride on Samurai if you're on the right row and an outside seat. But it's still not as good as it should be

I think it's as good (read as "intense") as they want it to be. That ride is capable of doing many things but they would perhaps not be appreciated by a theme park audience in the same way as they are on a german fair.

The British public are throwing up on Icon...

The British public can and do throw up on a freakin' carousel. Rides are wasted on them.
Only thing that's ever got me was Marauder's Mayhem at AT, many years ago. Very keen operator at the end of the day, 3 consecutive cycles, some furious spinning going on. The ground was still spinning when I reached the top of Towers Street :dizzy: