• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Chessington is just wonderful. From ride hardware to the way they operate rides, from upkeep to food and the outstanding hotel offer.

What a place of perfection.

On with Mandrill Mayhem. It may even be better than Icon!

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tom
Chessington is just wonderful. From ride hardware to the way they operate rides, from upkeep to food and the outstanding hotel offer.

What a place of perfection.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Shh, yer suppose to follow the TS narrative of being a moaning old git like everyone else here, don't change things now! :p

And when guests notice the queues for the headline rides, they go to the support rides which also don't have great throughputs for support rides and they get long queues. (Chessington is the only park I know of that gets hour queues for a family drop tower and 40 mins+ for a SeaStorm...)

What is really weird to me is how badly things have dropped since I worked there.

Granted adding Fastrack to certain rides hasn't helped. I honestly think I'd have to jump onto the live track if I worked on Tiny Truckers these days. But the thought of full queues on Seastorm and Buccaneer taking 40 minutes was on the capacity days rather than weekly.

Fury had a stall incident if I recall back in 2004. Hence the never running 8 cars again (or something else happened on top of that, but the amount of incidents that don't get reported is... interesting). Overspeeding I think was the initial reason for the max 3 adults rule but the weight thing came in after I left so no idea what happened.

End of the day we want our parks to succeed. But we've seen stagnation and looked with jealous eyes towards the continent where there's been a real flurry of expansion and quality being built. It's no wonder that some feel a bit jaded even with a new B&M coming in.

I mean the launch looks better so that is almost a fact.

I think most of Chessies existing lineup is superior to Icon.

Only one way to find out
harry-hill.gif

Tbf this will almost certainly be better than Icon, but then that bar is not particularly high 😂
Now in my "retirement coaster" benchmarks, I can only disagree sadly..
Being held up at an angle on that helix/corkscrew wotsit...it will do no end of damage to an old mans knees.
I shall have to wear support stockings.

Reactions: Tom
Buckle up for the ride of replies coming in… 👇🏻

Think the negativity stems from the coaster choice being questionable.

Even for families. As mentioned, there's a big market out there but it feels like the choice has been made more for marketing purposes than fixing the park's main issues. Don't think anyone on here has been dismissive about this, more confused.
I disagree. Firstly, it’s fantastic that Chessington have chosen a different sort of coaster. It’s been done before when Vampire originally opened as worlds first, and no one ever expected a coaster with spinning cars until Fury landed. Then, on your marketing point, I disagree because they wouldn’t choose that type of coaster just to make the marketing look better.
Incredibly we have reached the days where people are moaning about B&M's being built. The smoothest and most reliable coasters out there by a mile.
Yes but just to stand back and look at them even when they’re closed is great. It all stems from Nemesis for me. Just admire that lovely B&M box track no matter what ride it is. One thing I always admire is the positioning of supports which I sometimes look at as humans bolted into the ground with arms holding the track up.
I don't agree. I think most of us who are not overly keen on the prospect of this coaster at present have given valid reasons as to why that is. It is not moaning for the sake of moaning.
Without me going back over umpteen pages, can you elaborate on those valid reasons? We know the throughput is a big concern here, and some people feel type of ride isn’t right for Chessington, but there is surely more more riding on that (excuse the pun)?
This coaster has a theoretical throughput of around 750ph.

Compare that to the theoretical throughput of Dragons Fury and Rattlesnake of somewhere in the 900ph. The problem is the actual throughputs they get on these rides are more like 200ph.
Based on your figures, 150ph isn’t a massive difference. How many does Mandrill seat per filled ride - 30? If so, that’s 5 rides per hour.
The Noise Impact Assessment stated that a train would be dispatched every 2 minutes, with the ride lasting 1 minute and the load/unload time being 1 minute. With the train seating 28 riders, this would place the theoretical at around 840pph.
Yea, but never go by that because Chessington and other parks will struggle to keep to that. 😂
But that is correct then isn’t it? When it opened with the number of cars it was designed for it could hit that throughput by your own confirmation. The fact it no longer runs with that many is part of the overall problem Chessington have with operations.
How many cars does it run now then if it doesn’t run 8?
Why is it that they aren’t allowed to fill all the seats on Rattlesnake and Dragon’s Fury again?
Balancing issue mainly, and they want them to spin more! Other replies to this have also addressed it better so I’ll leave that one there. 😌
The problem with UK enthusiasts in general (including me) seems to be that we take John Wardley's word as gospel.
And that’s the problem! Many seem to worship the ground he walks on and if they want to, fine - but it’s this taking his “word as gospel” that has got so many fixated and turned into “experts” on Nemesis’ future.
And when guests notice the queues for the headline rides, they go to the support rides which also don't have great throughputs for support rides and they get long queues. (Chessington is the only park I know of that gets hour queues for a family drop tower and 40 mins+ for a SeaStorm...)
Well Croc Drop is still new and popular so I’m not surprised it gets queues that long. The first time I went on it, the queue was empty and I waited about 7 minutes. 😂 Well, it was 5pm with a park close looming and a storm was brewing.
Fury had a stall incident if I recall back in 2004. Hence the never running 8 cars again (or something else happened on top of that, but the amount of incidents that don't get reported is... interesting). Overspeeding I think was the initial reason for the max 3 adults rule but the weight thing came in after I left so no idea what happened.
Yes, I remember that stall as I rode it a lot in its opening year. From day one, I was always amazed at when a car comes back into the brake run and bashes the long bar on springs, how hard it hits it. Sit on the wrong side of the car and you certainly feel the brunt! The spin of the car finding it’s final position as it comes in and bashing the bar was the main factor.

The end of this video as the train comes back into the brake run is what I’m referring to with the bar bashing.

A lot of people have said how this ride isn’t right for Chessington. I think it’s fine. It’s great to see the UK’s second wing rider coaster. This country needs more of them in parks, they are underrated.

Thinking back to old rides that have been removed from Chessington, I see that the Peking Heights Ferris wheel (aka Eclipse from Thorpe) which left the park in 2015 is listed by Coasterpedia as currently being in storage.

I wonder if Merlin have any plans to use it again anywhere at one of their parks? Or was there perhaps some reason for its departure other than just to make space for the Land Of The Tiger park refresh?

I’d like to see that used again. It worked well for Mystic East and it certainly wouldn’t fit well into Land Of The Tiger. The views you get from up high in Chessington are good. Croc Drop offers some good views, Tiger Rock before the main drop does and Peeking Heights did too.

It’s been done before when Vampire originally opened as worlds first,
Vampire was nowhere near a Worlds first.
It’s the sixth Arrow suspended coaster.

Based on your figures, 150ph isn’t a massive difference. How many does Mandrill seat per filled ride - 30? If so, that’s 5 rides per hour.
But as a new and popular ride and the new headline ride it needs to be able to allow everyone who wants to ride it a chance to get on. This is the issues Chessington has, they attract more guests into the park than the rides can handle.

Well Croc Drop is still new and popular so I’m not surprised it gets queues that long. The first time I went on it, the queue was empty and I waited about 7 minutes. 😂 Well, it was 5pm with a park close looming and a storm was brewing.
They could have built two towers so on peak days they can handle the crowds. You only got a short wait due to the time of day.

They could have built two towers so on peak days they can handle the crowds. You only got a short wait due to the time of day.
Yeah I've always not understood why they didn't go for two towers for extra capacity. Or gone for a higher capacity model.

Last edited:
I don't know why they didn't think of that; this actually seems like a good idea considering the horrendous capacity Croc Drop obtains. Seems like there would easily be enough space for two. Perhaps they did think of it, but budget got in the way?