• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Chessington and Thorpe are very different theme parks, and Chessington building a couple more thrill rides along with Thorpe building a couple more family rides is not going to change that. It would take years and years of investment for both of them to be targeting the same audience.

It's also worth remembering that the catchment area for both parks is huge.

Yeah, definitely looks open to abuse or even accidental misuse. I was just playing around to see how the booking works (as I’m visiting next week) and accidentally booked a slot for today even though I’m sat here 300 miles away from the park. Obviously I clicked to cancel it afterwards.

05cfc5a109913657a4f91ac5e804c445.jpg
It could be coded in with a basic bit of geofencing - for a crude example see the various apps for pub chains that all ask if you're sure you want to order as you are showing a few miles down the road.

Obviously wouldn't stop a malicious actor but it would at least make some people sit up and think.

Withholding all judgement until I've ridden it (whenever that will be, if I can be bothered to head down this year) - but it looks like a good prelift, just without the lift, drop, rest of the coaster etc. Operations sound so unusually dire that it seems a stress to ride.

Both the flats are cheap models so don’t hold your breath it’s a fixable issue.
True I did think this whilst watching actually. Shame they cheaped out on the flats but I guess the b&m took up a large chunk of the budget.

Can they not just throw some wd40 on to the squeaky parts?

Do Chessington actually have any space left to expand into especially after the waterpark is built? Thorpe still have that large island behind swarm.

A few points to make on this. Firstly, in terms of vegan food, I understand the challenges. If an outlet only sells one vegan option, you want it to be something inoffensive with broad appeal. The vegan option often has the lowest sales, so things like food wastage are more of an issue. I also understand that at somewhere like Chessington there are big peak and troughs in demand, and if food preparation is too complicated you end up with long queues. But this vegan hotdog does sound a bit bland. There’s certainly more exciting vegan food out there.

I don’t think comparing prices to Wetherspoons is entirely fair, but the food does seem quite expensive now. A lot of theme parks have pushed annual passes hard. If you’re giving a big chunk of visitors 20% off on food, then you either have fairly thin profit on a big chunk of visitors, or you effectively inflate all the prices by 20% so the annual pass holders pay a sensible price and for everyone else the food comes out quite expensive. It’s like when some of the American parks did dining annual passes, where you got free food all year, and then the quality of the food had to be rock bottom.

500 guests an hour is about what I expected. The fact that Vampire only gets about 50 guests an hour more than a shuttle coaster that can’t load the platform until the train’s parked, does show how poor the throughputs are on Vampire these days. At the very least, it shows how long it takes for a Vampire train to come clattering around the bend and then stop, start, and park again in the station.

To those who have ridden Mandril, what are the vests like? Are they comfortable or do they crush your soul and tighten as it goes on like the Swarm? Thanks.

To those who have ridden Mandril, what are the vests like? Are they comfortable or do they crush your soul and tighten as it goes on like the Swarm? Thanks.
They can be very tight, on my first ride I had to ask the hosts to release mine and push it down less as it locked too tight. They are hydraulic I think so can lock in any position.

I am looking forward to riding this in a few weeks or months once the initial opening hype train has died down, which always happens with new coasters. I am keen to see how it handles a queue, and how intense it is. I would be surprised if it offers anything like the lateral forces of Wicker Man, I have to say. Saying that, I am glad the coaster appears to be being received better than I would have expected. I thought it looked quite poor from plans, but clearly it's going down quite well within the community.

Do people think it is better than Swarm, out of interest?

I saw one person in the Youtube comments section of the official POV of Mandrill Mayhem say that it was.
Having ridden both, I would say that it is. MM is more fun, unique and less bouncy. The dip before backwards spike takes you by suprise too.