• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

John said:
As for the new queue line, lets just say there's no way I'll be riding this thing on a busy day (photo from TPM):

Dave said:
That's one of Merlin's better queues, which is depressing.

Nice to see some effort on theming but another soul destroying cattle pen.

They've gone from Cattlepens to Chicken Coops ;D

Cracks me up too how people on here who blast at Towers seem to think we should laud things like this.

As for opining over the old ride, don't presume I hammered it before because you would be wrong. Yes, it needed some TLC but I actually found it very charming and loved the tunnels in particular, especially at night with family etc. Had a cracking little atmosphere.

Ask yourself, if this was one of the better aspects of the ride (which it was, that's obvious) why have they not replaced it?

I haven't seen it in person yet but do you need to, to be able to understand the difference taking a huge piece of theme out the way that it interacts intimately with will make?

Would Inferno (oh boy bad example but sod it) be as good, especially at night, without that tunnel at the beginning? Vampires at night with the strobes? It was a huge focal point of the ride, it pretty much made it.

Now replaced with a bored looking scorpion, some backdrops that look crap given my abiding memory of this kind of theme is the American Adventure in it's pomp, and a queue that looks like a chicken coop.

This is improvement is it? Particularly given the pictures Chris posted.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Fantastic effort? You must be kidding right?
Nope, I know for a fact that Chessington are really trying hard to make this the best season for a long time.

In terms of the work they have done during the closed season, if lists are your thing...

Refurnished/repainted Dragon Falls station
Repainted/redressed Tranyslvania exteriors
Rebuilt Transylvania tower roof and reclad damaged wall
Redesigned Market Square
Mirror wall restored in BubbleWorks and new show lighting sequence on its way
New Rameses Revenge restraints
Refurbished Safari Skyway station
Removed many tacky games stalls

And of course the Scorpion Express refurbishment, new interactive monkey enclosures and a big new themed hotel under construction.

Yet you have just posted pictures of where a building burnt down... are you suggesting that the fire is because of a lack of effort as well?

TheMan said:
Chris didn't post pictures of Scorpion Express? And nobody at all has claimed it is an improvement on the original design, only that it is a surprisingly great effort when people were expecting the least.

electricBlll said:
TheMan said:
Chris didn't post pictures of Scorpion Express? And nobody at all has claimed it is an improvement on the original design, only that it is a surprisingly great effort when people were expecting the least.

Thank you Bill for proving my point for me.

OMG thank goodness it isn't absolutely dire. I had suspicions of what they may do, but I had actually hoped they would return them to their former glory.

I look forward to the civic reception when they plant a mechanical farting tree where the beautiful "stone" work used to reside alongside Dragon Falls.

electricBlll said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:
Fantastic effort? You must be kidding right?
Nope, I know for a fact that Chessington are really trying hard to make this the best season for a long time.

In terms of the work they have done during the closed season, if lists are your thing...

Refurnished/repainted Dragon Falls station
Repainted/redressed Tranyslvania exteriors
Rebuilt Transylvania tower roof and reclad damaged wall
Redesigned Market Square
Mirror wall restored in BubbleWorks and new show lighting sequence on its way
New Rameses Revenge restraints
Refurbished Safari Skyway station
Removed many tacky games stalls

And of course the Scorpion Express refurbishment and a big new themed hotel under construction.

Yet you have just posted pictures of where a building burnt down... are you suggesting that the fire is because of a lack of effort as well?

Apart from Market Square, which they have done a nice job of re-doing, this is all what I would consider standard closed season maintenance.

It's hard to get excited by any of this.

You have to be fair to chessy, they where hardly going to do something amazing with the site of the fire in the 2 months since it happened. It's nice that they even got it paved if I'm honest. It needs something doing to it as it's not the best looking thing now but a season or two's grace is needed really.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Apart from Market Square, which they have done a nice job of re-doing, this is all what I would consider standard closed season maintenance.
So the fact that much effort has been put in and the park looks its best since the early 2000s means nothing to you?

TheMan said:
Thank you Bill for proving my point for me.

OMG thank goodness it isn't absolutely dire. I had suspicions of what they may do, but I had actually hoped they would return them to their former glory.
What? I literally don't understand what you are trying to say. Do you actually have anything to say?

And my name's not Bill anyway!

Also the notion that you "don't need to see it in person to know the ride is bad" is laughable. Does that mean you don't need to visit the park to enjoy it either? So... you just look at somebody's photos on your computer and that's your maximum ability to be entertained? Obviously not! Get down to Chessington and have some fun you silly billies.

electricBlll said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:
So the fact that much effort has been put in and the park looks its best since the early 2000s means nothing to you?

Oh come on, really?

Transylvania, Mystic East and Forbidden Kingdom have never looked worse.

The park may not be as neglected as it was a decade ago or so, but it certainly doesn't look better in most areas.

His point was that this effort by Chessington is being described as 'fantastic' when it is, in fact, by your own admission, 'surprisingly great effort when people were expecting the least'.

So it's either 'fantastic' or it's 'surprising effort'. It can't be both. Although to be fair - both of your comments are positive with the use of 'great' in the second statement, so I understand your intentions.

I think a few people are frustrated that the themeing hasn't been restored to it's 'former glory' but that people are praising the park for having a low-budget bash at it anyway...with their opinion being they should have done it properly or not at all. Because by doing half a job, it means it will probably be left like that rather than fully restored to something of equal quality.

Personally I think it looks like a joke, I have no desire to go back to Chessington because I remember it through rose-tinted glasses as the first theme park I went to in the UK...maybe it was just as naff then. Maybe the target audience will think it looks OK. I am certainly not the target audience so, if they can get away with it - I don't blame them. Doesn't mean I have to like it as someone with a passion for *theme* parks!

CoasterCrazyChris said:

It's hard to get excited by any of this.

I wouldn't expect building exterior painting to be standard annual maintenance. Maybe every 3 years or so. Trouble is they haven't painted anything for several years to more needs doing all at once. And from the photos I've seen everything looks much neater, I really don't understand all the negativity! There is still more to do to tidy the park up but by the 2015 season I think the whole of the park will feel new as every area will have been painted or redone.

They really should of added some cave work to Scorpian Express or indoor mine but what is there looks great in pictures. And the fire effect really helps.

Where Creaky Cafe was they could of just concreted it but it looks like block paving was used which gives a better impression.

I'm really thinking that 2015 will be a great year for Chessington.

CoasterCrazyChris said:
Oh come on, really?

The park may not be as neglected as it was a decade ago or so, but it certainly doesn't look better in most areas.
You actually think BubbleWorks looked better when it was plastered in primary colours and all the other buildings were hidden by ivy? Did you prefer Dragon Falls with its station falling apart and paint peeling off like for the last 10 years?

Look, not everybody has to like Chessington. People can hate it all they like, but there's no point posting repetitive negative opinions all based on a couple of photos of a park they won't actually be visiting any time soon.

It's strange: either people think Chessington is a poor failing park that can barely scrape together enough coins to open to the public, or they rant about how god awful it is and use it as a punchbag for Merlin. Why? Erm, how about actually visiting the park and enjoying oneself! :twirly: Chessington is doing absolutely fine (at last!).

Laura said:
His point was that this effort by Chessington is being described as 'fantastic' when it is, in fact, by your own admission, 'surprisingly great effort when people were expecting the least'.

So it's either 'fantastic' or it's 'surprising effort'. It can't be both. Although to be fair - both of your comments are positive with the use of 'great' in the second statement, so I understand your intentions.

I think a few people are frustrated that the themeing hasn't been restored to it's 'former glory' but that people are praising the park for having a low-budget bash at it anyway...with their opinion being they should have done it properly or not at all. Because by doing half a job, it means it will probably be left like that rather than fully restored to something of equal quality.

Personally I think it looks like a joke, I have no desire to go back to Chessington because I remember it through rose-tinted glasses as the first theme park I went to in the UK...maybe it was just as naff then. Maybe the target audience will think it looks OK. I am certainly not the target audience so, if they can get away with it - I don't blame them. Doesn't mean I have to like it as someone with a passion for *theme* parks!

You're mixing up two points. Scorpian Express is not as bad as expected, everyone knows the rock work wasn't coming but what they've done is surprisingly good.

The bits described as fantastic are the reprinting and replacing of Market Square (compare the gift shop to a previous paint job and you'll see it really is fantastically better) and the painting in Transylvania and Mexicana. A lot has been painted over the last year!

Laura said:

So it's either 'fantastic' or it's 'surprising effort'. It can't be both.

Glad someone understood what I was on about lol. Though I am not sure that is a good thing for you Laura ;D

If Chessington are struggling for pennies, to the degree we should be gleeful that it isn't as bad as it might have been, when they are part of a company making 100s of millions of pounds in profits and constantly comparing themselves to Disney, then surely I am not alone in thinking those positions are totally juxtaposed?

There is no reason for an "ok" job on a park that was an absolute jewel.

Merlin are really getting on my wick at the moment because they HAVE the resources to do things far, far better for the long term, and keep choosing NOT to.

TheMan said:
If Chessington are struggling for pennies, to the degree we should be gleeful that it isn't as bad as it might have been, when they are part of a company making 100s of millions of pounds in profits and constantly comparing themselves to Disney, then surely I am not alone in thinking those positions are totally juxtaposed?
WAHT

Chessington are one of Merlin's most profitable parks, like I said the idea that they can barely afford to do anything is incorrect. (The real problem is the company controlling where the money is spent, which is why I agree with the last point in your post!)

Anyway. I'll just post this picture of AbDab to cheer everybody up. I'm sure that will help.

ScreenShot2014-03-16at233825_zps059f5218.png

electricBlll said:
Anyway. I'll just post this picture of AbDab to cheer everybody up. I'm sure that will help.

That is the face I pulled when I saw The Smiler's extended queue line.

electricBlll said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:
Oh come on, really?

You actually think BubbleWorks looked better when it was plastered in primary colours and all the other buildings were hidden by ivy? Did you prefer Dragon Falls with its station falling apart and paint peeling off like for the last 10 years?

Look, not everybody has to like Chessington. People can hate it all they like, but there's no point posting repetitive negative opinions all based on a couple of photos of a park they won't actually be visiting any time soon.

It's strange: either people think Chessington is a poor failing park that can barely scrape together enough coins to open to the public, or they rant about how god awful it is and use it as a punchbag for Merlin. Why? Erm, how about actually visiting the park and enjoying oneself! :twirly: Chessington is doing absolutely fine (at last!).

I don't bash Chessington just because it is fashionable. It's because they rarely do anything interesting and what they actually do is usually half arsed.

On my first memorable visit to Chessington in 2010, I had one of the best days out at any theme park ever. I thought Wild Asia was great and a a sign of things to come. How wrong...

The standard is so far from what they built in the 80s/90s it's ridiculous.

I think it's rather depressing when a UK theme park gets buildings repainted we class it as something noteworthy. This isn't aimed at just Chessington, but Merlin parks as a whole - the fact people get excited over new flooring and tiles in toilets at Towers just shows how low (UK) enthusiast standards have become. These things were a part of yearly maintenance in the 90s! Now we get all weak at the knees seeing a building with a fresh lick of paint.

I do believe Chessington are doing their very best. However for me some of these things (like Runaway Train) are just examples of a Merlin park struggling with limited resources and budgets at hand. Given the company that owns the place you would expect things that are mesmerising and out of this world. Merlin Studios just don't seem to ever step their game up like similar creative groups around the world.

The only thing that has honestly impressed me at Chessington this year is Market Square, which they have done a brilliant job at improving - it looks completely different and is now full of character!

James said:
I do believe Chessington are doing their very best. However for me some of these things (like Runaway Train) are just examples of a Merlin park struggling with limited resources and budgets at hand. Given the company that owns the place you would expect things that are mesmerising and out of this world. Merlin Studios just don't seem to ever step their game up like similar creative groups around the world.

Exactly, I don't think any of us criticising are blaming Chessington - we'd rather they were given strong support to create proper world class attractions, or at least something better. Consider the budgets/profits etc - imagine a few hundred thousand more spread across the parks to just FINISH the jobs with some more creativity and it would all ramp up a notch and would barely touch Merlin's over all profits, especially long term.

I am not remotely joking when I say there are certain people in this forum I would place considerably more trust in to develop the parks for similar budgets in terms of creativity and design.

That is not an exaggeration.

jon81uk said:
You're mixing up two points. Scorpian Express is not as bad as expected, everyone knows the rock work wasn't coming but what they've done is surprisingly good.

The bits described as fantastic are the reprinting and replacing of Market Square (compare the gift shop to a previous paint job and you'll see it really is fantastically better) and the painting in Transylvania and Mexicana. A lot has been painted over the last year!

Thanks for the clarification but I wasn't meaning to mix up points - just trying to explain TheMan's comment which got a bit lost in the fray.

I agree with the other posters that repaints should be part of annual maintenance or at least every couple of years. I mean it doesn't really need to be said - but look at Europa draining and repainting (I think?) the lake...after just a few seasons?

I actually highlighted 'The Toilet Topic' last year when I did the Ignite networking talk thing. Just to show how desperate we are for something to 'enthuse' about!

It would at least help if some of the more iconic paintwork (ie Transylvania) had been re-invigorated, rather than completely redone to an (arguably) poorer standard.

I do think we will see painting return to being annual maintenance and maybe one land done each closed season now. It's just they hadn't done much for a few years so extra work was needed this year.

And for those saying people are just getting excited about repainting in a UK park, don't worry if you read any of the American DisneyWorld forums the get excited about painting too!

Yes Transylvania could be better maybe but it's not bad really. But the simpler paint scheme in Market Square is much better than the old ones with signage everywhere.

Visited Chessington yesterday. Market Square does look very nice to be fair. Looks a lot cleaner and tidier. Overall I found the general appearance of the park to be a great improvement on previous years. Certainly a lot still to be done, Dragons Falls for example still looks very poor with the lack of theming.

As for Scorpion Express. Well, we queued the whole queue line, including that new cattle pen. :eek:. Not a bad queue line to wait in really, certainly better than wasting ones life away in the cattle pens of Rita or The Smiler. However, the queue moves painfully slowly and despatches are probably worse than the Mine Train at Towers, which says a lot.

The re-theme though is quite good. I liked the fire effect, though I do wonder how much longer that will last once the first gas bill drops on the door mat :p Like the theming of the train too, certainly better than generic mine train carriages. Though the re-theme is well done, can see that it is a bit of a cheap job, though a lot of effort has been put in to it. However, it is still the same old same old in terms of the actual ride.

Does seem a shame that a park that takes quite a lot of money ends up with meagre budgets. I feel this may show through in how well this new theming ages.