• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Out of curiosity, when is Chessington's big investment year due? With the exception of Zufari, they've hardly added anything major in a long time. They need it quite urgently.

Since 2012ish a lot of investment goes in every year, more annual budget than most Merlin theme parks. But not on new rides.

Are you joking or is this blind fanboyism?

If Chessington HAS had more investment then I would love you to spout some figures.

This isn't, before you say it, some kind of campaign against Chessington either - good investments in new attractions would be very well received and by and large people just want to see it do well. No new large family thrill ride in 12 seasons is a joke.

The only campaign against Chessington is the one from Merlin Entertainments.

Since 2012ish a lot of investment goes in every year, more annual budget than most Merlin theme parks.

LOL are you joking? The Smiler? Cbeebies? Enchanted Village? Legoland Hotel? The Swarm? Flight of the Demon? Garda Oblivion?

"more annual budget" - I think you're living in a fantasy land.

Last edited:
No, I just actually know what I'm talking about. By annual budget I'm not including the massive exceptional investments in big new advertised projects like The Smiler, Village, etc. On an average 'off'-year, Alton Towers or Thorpe Park consistently won't get as much as Chessington for general maintenance, park operations and 'low' year projects, and they're not part of the same 'investment cycle'.

I'm talking more about the money ploughing in to refurbish old infrastructure. Not much to celebrate because it's become a necessity rather than Merlin being generous, although you also get expensive non-theme park projects like the new hotel. I mention it because I'm explaining why there has been a lot of 'high investment' without any major new rides. And yes, 12 seasons without a good new attraction is ridiculous but blame a number of factors for that.

You think I'm trying to promote Chessington and celebrate its 'wealth' or something? I'm just pointing out some facts. The higher investment will probably stop once Merlin have got the park where they want it, in a couple of years time.

What has been refurbed (other than mine train)?
Mine train was the only advertised one, Falls and Rameses had big hardware upgrades repeatedly, other stuff like £1million developing technology for the new show, spending £5million on parkwide infrastructure in the wake of the Tomb incident, new hotel restaurants, venues & existing hotel refurbishment, hugely improved events/entertainments budget all year round. Mostly behind the scenes stuff. It's get another big infrastructure investment next year on existing areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
The way you worded your original post was as though Chessington had been given more overall budgets than other Merlin parks.

I think it's good that they have improved some rides - albeit due to rotting theming and years of negligence - but backroom hardware updates don't impact on much from a guest perspective - new rides wouldn't go amiss.

Alton Towers could do with more refurbishment but at least Merlin spend on new attractions.

I don't really understand the love for Chessington anymore given how they don't add things to actually get excited about.

Chessington is a joke to merlins name it's terrible As a park with no real investment anywhere

Haha OK Bill, Chessington have a great annual budget compared to other parks if you use a definition of the words 'annual budget' that excludes anything good, major, new or expensive.

I guess you have to desperately cling onto anything if you're a Chessington fanboy!

It DOES sadden me with the park - i can see how if you grew up with it through the 90's that it could have been exciting to follow.

I don't really get it since 2004 though.

I hope once the referb and back ground service are up to spec, they will start adding rides to the park.

Don't the park have a lot of trouble with planning permission due to being on a green belt? I think they probably got away with the hotels because they're beneficial to the local community with creating new jobs etc but what would a new coaster bring? Noise? Unsightliness? I think people forget that Chessington probably get equal amount of flack from locals as even Alton does, I think it'd be nothing short of a miracle if we saw a new coaster at the park anytime soon.

I continue to like Chessington into its battered and bruised years because it is pretty sad, it's a bit pathetic now really but you've got to love it. Well I'm a sentimental guy, and well it's fun. I don't really get this constant label of 'fanboy', if you knew me you'd know I'm not really.

Still got miles more redevelopment investment though.

And yes, Chessigton get much MORE trouble with planning, that's the entire reason why Tussauds purchased Alton Towers in the early 90s and the reason you have Nemesis, Oblivion at Alton Towers now.

I continue to like Chessington into its battered and bruised years because it is pretty sad, it's a bit pathetic now really but you've got to love it. Well I'm a sentimental guy, and well it's fun. I don't really get this constant label of 'fanboy', if you knew me you'd know I'm not really.

Still got miles more redevelopment investment though.

And yes, Chessigton get much MORE trouble with planning, that's the entire reason why Tussauds purchased Alton Towers in the early 90s and the reason you have Nemesis, Oblivion at Alton Towers now.
So you will admit it's shit ??

45aebf9bd438d59115d046361b3e15c1.jpg

Only if it carried on burning life would have been amazing