• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chessington World of Adventures Resort

Is Jumanji even still relevant? I wonder if Chessington is being given the Thorpe Park treatment with IP's which are already years past their best!

Why does it even need to be associated. Just theme it as a good Amazon rainforest/land and be done with it.

Jumanji is a big coup in terms of getting an IP thwtbis relevant and lends itself to a theme park setting. It is a Disney / Universal scale IP.

My concern is that it may have been expensive, combine that with expensive (possibly B&M) ride hardware and what budget are they actually going to have left to create an immersive land?

This could either be a phenomenal success or a huge disappointment.

Unfortunately I think this will be another where the sum of its parts won’t live up to what the theme/IP is.
Wild Asia with mainly recycled hardware form Beano-land is better than it looked on paper.
But spend the cash on a known IP and expectations are raised.

At least it isn't a Julia Donaldson book again.

It'll also unlikely have any reference to the films (how much do you reckon it would cost to have The Rock do ride announcements?) so the expectation of certain elements being there might be... missed.

Thus is the issue with IPs.

It'll also unlikely have any reference to the films (how much do you reckon it would cost to have The Rock do ride announcements?) so the expectation of certain elements being there might be... missed.

One of the biggest complaints about Saw at Thorpe Park is that Jigsaw's voice is not the same as in the movies so I wouldn't be surprised if they go with a voice that's reasonably close to the Rock without paying out.

At least it isn't a Julia Donaldson book again.

One of the biggest complaints about Saw at Thorpe Park is that Jigsaw's voice is not the same as in the movies so I wouldn't be surprised if they go with a voice that's reasonably close to the Rock without paying out.
Well given that the concept art shows the area looking like the board game, I wouldn't be surprised if it was based on the original film and not the remakes.

I’d be very surprised if this isn’t themed around the new films starring Dwayne Johnson et al… as others have said above, they’ve been a huge box office success, and it’s a continuing franchise! It’s also been rumoured that Merlin have obtained the IP for Gardaland’s 2022 project, so they could have had some sort of bulk deal to reduce the price of the rights on a per-ride basis.

Also, I doubt too many these days have heard of the book or the original film… unless they’re doing a Wicker Man and making their own original story based off of the Jumanji story, I’d be extremely surprised if this isn’t based around the new Jumanji films, personally.

If you said “Jumanji” to someone nowadays, I think they’d mostly leap to the new films as opposed to the book or the original film. To be honest, I would!

Sorry to double post, but it might be worth noting that it’s Tri-Star who has filed this trademark, not Merlin… as Tri-Star (or Columbia, as it’s often better known) is the film studio that’s making the current Jumanji film franchise, I’d personally say that there’s a fairly good chance that this is based on the new films.

Unless Tri-Star’s trademark is for something different entirely, of course…

Each to their own; I was born 8 years after the original film came out according to Google (film was 1995, I was 2003), so I guess I’m not best placed to know about it! If I’m being completely honest, I’d never heard of the 1995 Jumanji film before you guys pointed it out…

To be honest, I think I probably wouldn’t have known about the Jumanji book had we not done a literacy project on it back in Year 6 at primary school…

For Chessington, I think these new films will be a fun IP! Of the new ones, I haven’t watched the second one, but I actually really liked the first one!

Last edited:
Each to their own; I was born 8 years after the original film came out according to Google (film was 1995, I was 2003), so I guess I’m not best placed to know about it! If I’m being completely honest, I’d never heard of the 1995 Jumanji film before you guys pointed it out…

To be honest, I think I probably wouldn’t have known about the Jumanji book had we not done a literacy project on it back in Year 6 at primary school…

For Chessington, I think these new films will be a fun IP! Of the new ones, I haven’t watched the second one, but I actually really liked the first one!
I was born in 1995, the year it came out, so I'm in the same boat. :p

In terms of IP, I think there's something in the fact it's a recognisable name, irrespective of whether you're close to the franchise or not.

The fact that something is "Jumanji" vs. an original crazy enchanted game theme has some intrinsic value.