• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Chester Zoo Fire

This is obviously a sad story and my thoughts are with the Zoo, it's keepers and the missing/perished animals. :(

I read they willingly released a lot of tropical birds into the Cheshire sky.

It's illegal to release non native creatures into the wild in this country. I wonder if there is an exception in this case, and if the fire/smoke didn't kill them, our cold winter weather will.

I wonder if any animals released into the wild were deliberate, or just the fact that the enclosure roof was breached due to the fire which allowed them to just simply escape?

I read they willingly released a lot of tropical birds into the Cheshire sky.

I don't think they would willingly release birds that require temperature controlled environment. As they will not survive in the weather this year.

There are rules over non native animals that stop them being released into the local environment.

All zoological sites must by law have a unbroken outer biosecurity cordon. To stop flightless animals leaving the site.
Any flight able animals that escape and leave the site must be retrieved by any means.

In this situation it would be impossible to keep the birds contained. As trying to contain the birds would endanger human life, so they would have to go to retrieval after the fact.

It is surprising how many birds will return to handlers/keepers with feed. So hopefully the escaped birds will come back for lunch.

As for the bill oddies of Chester and surrounding areas should help by phoning in sightings.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk

:cry::cry::cry::cry:

7488296-6500831-A_scene_from_inside_the_Monsoon_forest_habitat_shows_the_devasta-a-19_1544963571332.jpg
I can't be the only one who thinks those roof girders look a little bit like coaster track, right?

From Cheshire Fire Service website
Attendance:
A total of 15 fire engines attended at the incident's height including engines from North Wales and Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service. The aerial ladder and supporting pump from Chester also attended.

Details
Fire crews were called to a fire in a zoo enclosure at Chester Zoo, on Caughall Road, Chester.
The blaze was in the Monsoon Forest Habitat on the site, which is the UK’s largest zoo building. Due to the scale of the fire this was declared a major incident. The zoo was immediately evacuated and a cordon was put in place.
Crews – wearing breathing apparatus and using main jets – brought the fire under control and it has now been extinguished.
Firefighters remained at the scene overnight to dampen down and monitor the site.
One person has suffered minor smoke inhalation. There are no reports of any other injuries at this time

I think the neighbouring fire services need a well done saying to them for the support.

Sent from my SM-J600FN using Tapatalk