• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Children watched by staff

I can promise you this isn’t about scoring points, I was happy they were going for a day out as they were really excited. I totally understand how this is viewed and would read this as the same thing black and white. There are many background factors as to why this is more of a concern to me for which would paint a wider picture. I think we all parent slightly differently and how things were done when we are kids is not necessarily how we do things now. Times do change and unfortunately I work in a sector where I deal with times where things do go wrong so I try to balance wrapping in cotton wool and allowing them responsibility the best I can. Alton’s towers have got back to me and are investigating as to where my children were placed, Galactica being the bigger concern as the exit gate is further from the ride station and the kids would have been out of sight. I have explained to them that in no way am I making a complaint with them, just concerns with my children. They are not worldly wise and young for their age (only just 8 and 10) I personally love Alton towers and it’s a great day out, the staff have always been great. Their policy is that no child under 12 should be left unsupervised at any point and members of staff are not responsible for them. This should have been explained to the adults at the time that they were left at their own risk. Thank you for all your responses and differing opinions. Sometimes it’s easy to overreact so gaining others thoughts is certainly helpful

Their policy is that no child under 12 should be left unsupervised at any point and members of staff are not responsible for them. This should have been explained to the adults at the time that they were left at their own risk.

The park also has a no smoking policy in queue lines and around the park (only in designated areas) and also taking pictures of other guest without their permission is not allowed, all of which are never enforced ;)

At the end of the day, these are your children and I can't tell you what is best for them. But personally I can't see an issue, but that is my personal opinion, others may disagree with me. My opinion might be different if we were talking about preschool children or younger, or if a child had a learning disability of some sort.

If these were my children, I wouldn't be worried :)

Their policy is that no child under 12 should be left unsupervised at any point and members of staff are not responsible for them. This should have been explained to the adults at the time that they were left at their own risk.
I think this is the crux of the matter.

If the staff were unaware what was going on, there's nothing they can do to prevent it. On the other hand if they knew it was happening then they should be stopping it, never mind just advising, as it's in breach of their policy. Unlike smoking in queuelines, this is a safeguarding issue and one I'm sure the park will want to enforce strongly.

They must have been waiting behind the exit gate because, like others have said, no one is allowed on the exit platform when trains are moving. Even staff, who will retreat to waiting areas at the front or back of the platform.

If people were waiting on the exit platform as your kids said, they would be in the way of people exiting the train and staff checking harnesses.

I have children more or less the same age

About a month ago me and the eldest went on Oblivion while the mrs and youngest went on enterprise(he's not 1.4)

I got a PQP signed and when i went to swap over with the mrs i said there's no queue at all you and the eldest may as well both go on it

Our little lad asked if he could look at the Oblivion station as he'd done this in ERT at thorpe on Saw and Swarm (then we took it in turns going on the ride so he wasn't stood alone)

We took hin up to the station and the eldest asked if they could just watch me and the mrs go on and wave us up the lift hill...we asked the ride op if this was ok and they said no problem as long as they stand behind the exit gate...which we had no problem with

He also once chickened out of Th13teen when he was just big enough....he then again stood outside the exit gate and waited for us

He now isn't a chicken and has rode everything at BPB....roll on 1.4:D

That was a long post i started thinking why am i writing this but carried on

Ok so the girls have described as much as they were able to and I believe now that they were definitely behind the exit gates as most of you have suggested. It’s a massively grey area on what is deemed acceptable and I think all we can do is judge our own kids maturity. I drummed in safeguarding to my girls from a very young age and they know not to go off with a stranger or even a known persons house without coming to me however I am fairly certain had someone impersonated staff to draw them away then they absolutely would have taken them at their word and gone with them. They are a young 8 and 10, they look young and their maturity is lower than other kids their age. I asked regarding their policy and why this wasn’t reiterated to them and Alton Towers response was that whilst that was their policy they can’t enforce it and refuse parents on the ride if they were willing to take the risk with their child waiting at the exit. Kind of leave at your own risk....

If it's quiet I suppose you could ask a photo host to keep an eye on them, as they don't do that much.

No member of staff would agree to that. It's just not appropriate as they wouldn't be able to give the child their full attention and it only takes a second for them to wander off and then you've got a legal/PR nightmare on your hands.

So to cut a long story short, they’ve waited behind the exit gate for about 10 minutes max, about 5 times in total?

Presumably they’ve queued with their dad, he’s gone on the ride and whilst he’s on the ride, they’ve waited outside the exit gate, and they’ve probably done that once on each of the rides they’re too small to ride?

We’re envisiaging a scenario where someone pays to get into Alton Towers, hangs outside ride exits dresses in staff clothing in order to lure away kids who are waiting for their parents/guardians? Even if that actually happened, surely there’d come a point where they realised something was afoot, IE when they’re looking like leaving the premises?

Mountains, molehills, of, out. Making

Arrange the above to form a sentence.

Last edited:
Although I agree with your sentiment about it being unlikely for a paedophile to go to the effort of paying for entry, dress as a staff member and snatch a kid, when they can just jog on down to their local park and do the same, it is also very easy to cast judgement on others views simply because they don't align with your own, no two children are alike (contuary to the popular belief of the education system) and so one persons wrapping in cotton wool is another persons being responsible, neither are making a mountain out of a mole hill.

I can understand @Koxy concern, after all if something would have gone wrong, she'd (or the father) would be blamed for being irresponsible and leaving the kids unsupervised, probably by the same people who are now saying, no harm was done stop making a mountain out of a mole hill.

Koxy came here to ask if Towers offered a free childminding service, let's try to remember that and not be too judgemental over her concern for her kids wellbeing, shall we?

Is it possible the kids dad and partner used the Parent Queue Swap system? One parent (although I suppose nothing prevents a whole family unit) queuing for a ride, they show the ride staff the PQS information, they get a ride - the rest leave via the exit and the other parent / guardian goes on the ride via the exit upon exit of the first rider.

So it could be possible they all queued as to not be separated, one went on the ride, the children plus other watched the ride with the other person, that person went on the ride and all done?

I think Id ask the kids Dad tbh. Just say you were unclear what they meant and how did they do it? If its something for concern raise it then.

Hope its all good for you!