Christmas 2021: Christmas Markets

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matt N, 9th Jun 2021.

1. Alastair

Alastair TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Indiana Jones Adventure
    £9 for a basic hog roast baguette, £7 for a waffle cone, £9 for a burger...et al :confused:

Skyscraper likes this.
  2. evilcod

evilcod TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Pirates of the Caribbean - Paris
    Are they any more expensive than the already expensive big Christmas markets though?
    I feel that needs to be the price point, I may be going to Altons Christmas Market instead of Birmingham's Christmas Market not instead of Greggs.

Skyscraper and jon81uk like this.
  3. Steve74

Steve74 TowersStreet Member

My initial gripe with this in my post above was the way the event has been laid out and the fact that "free" ticket holders can't go further than Towers Street area but as you and others has pointed out that is reasonable given the pricing structure.

My point now is that nowhere on the Festive Day Out ticket does it mention extra/exclusive entertainment - all it says is what rides you get. I'm sure I won't be the only one who didn't buy this extra ticket because I (and my group) don't want to go on the rides. But if they'd stated there was extra entertainment and the ability to walk around a lot more, then we'd have probably paid the extra. I think they've missed a trick there.

But as you say, it is their first year and like Oktoberfest in 2020, it was an experiment and hopefully it'll be improved for next year, just like Oktoberfest was this year.

James, jon81uk and Skyscraper like this.
  4. jon81uk

jon81uk TowersStreet Member

Yep on the page about Christmas it does mention "Plus enjoy a host of seasonal entertainment, meet cheery characters and eat delicious food!" in the opening block of text, but then doesn't make it clear further down which entertainment is ticketed, just that CBeebies characters are part of the festive day out and there is live music at the market.
    As you say the web page would be improved just by add "also don't miss our fabulous festive live shows in fountain square" to the festive day out information.

James, Skyscraper and Steve74 like this.
  5. Steve74

Exactly, and that one line addition could've got them extra ticket sales! They probably would've got about an extra £50 from my group alone!

Skyscraper and jon81uk like this.
  6. Matt.GC

Matt.GC TowersStreet Member

I couldn't care less if they were expensive, I was expecting it. I was answering someone else's question

Skyscraper likes this.
  7. Steve74

Here's the finale of Lightopia - the water projection on the lake (in a spoiler in case you don't want to spoil it for yourself!) Filmed on Sunday apparently so not sure if this is the full effect or cut down because of the weather.
    Not seen all of the video but it does look fantastic!

Squiggs and rob666 like this.
  8. tayspru

tayspru TowersStreet Member

Are checks for wristbands at attraction entrances or is it just one check to get through the barriers ?

Skyscraper likes this.
  9. Thameslink Rail

Thameslink Rail TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Just checks at the barriers near the entrances to Mutiny Bay and Cbeebies Land.

Skyscraper likes this.
  10. Thameslink Rail

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    I love this advert for the Christmas event

I think it does a good job showing what's on offer (although it could do with more on shows) and the real snow just adds to the magic. I also love how well the music goes with the lightopia displays which are just beautiful!

Matt N, JAperson, jon81uk and 2 others like this.
  11. jon81uk

Just needs a bit more ITHOTMK

12. MonkeyNut

MonkeyNut TowersStreet Member

For those that have bought wristbands for the rides, how busy have they been? I'm considering a visit with the kids on the 18th, 19th or 20th December, but wasn't sure what we would be up against!

13. AstroDan

AstroDan TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
    Yes.

Bratwurst in Birmingham is £5 or £6 this year depends on vendor. Regular hog roast the same.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Skyscraper likes this.
  14. Danny

Danny Gugu Rides’ Number 1 Fan

Favourite Ride:
    Unknown - Parque dos Elefantes

Interesting...

NuttySquirrel, Matt N and Skyscraper like this.
  15. Steve74

And for those that have already booked and visited they can apply for the £5 refund per person.

Matt N likes this.
  16. Thameslink Rail

Favourite Ride:
    The Smiler
    Would this imply that attendance is not as high as they were expecting?

Skyscraper likes this.
  17. jon81uk

I would expect that yes, Lightopia in particular probably isn't as popular as they expected.

I suppose part of the issue is that once you've done the 45-60minute walk through Lightopia and looked round the stalls there isn't much else to do in the area. Those with younger children might want to do rides, but thats of less interest to older familes and adults. But there isn't a huge amount else in the Alton area to make it worth travelling more than an hour to get to the park.

Skyscraper and Thameslink Rail like this.
  18. Steve74

I wouldn't say it isn't as popular as expected per se because this reduction is only for passholders, not the general public - they're still priced at £20. So this reduction only has the potential to bring in more passholders - maybe they've seen the amount of passholders pre-registered is low. I'm also wondering if they've reduced it because of pressure from people complaining that they're getting next to nothing extra in this event if you're a passholder.

19. Squiggs

Squiggs TS Site Team Team Member

I suspect they may well be reacting to a backlash from how they've been treating passholders this festive season. If you offer an annual pass you really have to offer appropriate year-round benefits.

It's rather baffling that they are still not offering Festive Days Out as part of the annual pass, I'm honestly not sure how they justify charging passholders now for rides that would have been include three weeks ago and will be included again in March.

Auribus, venny, D4n and 2 others like this.
  20. jon81uk

The rides have previously only been for those going to the Santa Sleepover events though so the Christmas offering has never been included in a pass really. Due to the more limited capacity it does make sense to me not to open to all passholders.

Skyscraper likes this.