• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Christmas 2021: Christmas Markets

They could install the water show no problem, I very much doubt they could do much with paving the lawns.
The boating lake and existing paths weren’t exactly original features either and they got away with those in the past. My understanding of developments is it can’t permanently intrude on the view of the Towers, but I’d be interested to find out more about the restrictions

The boating lake and existing paths weren’t exactly original features either and they got away with those in the past. My understanding of developments is it can’t permanently intrude on the view of the Towers, but I’d be interested to find out more about the restrictions

They where however done long before English Heritage was a thing.

When did the lawns become a heritage site or at least one that requires special planning permission because until the 80s there was a concrete pool with sea lions in it! (I believe that is why there are a couple of manhole covers in the middle of the lawns for no apparent reason)

Alton Towers Park and Gardens (which includes the lawns) was added to the National Heritage List 1st December 1984,
ALTON TOWERS, Denstone - 1000191 | Historic England list entry
HLE_A4L_Grade|HLE_A3L_Grade.pdf (historicengland.org.uk) map of included area
Going by that map, they were permitted to add permanent paving to the Haunted Hollow area and associated theming, despite it being a part of the designated heritage area. I don’t think a development to use the lawns as a viewing area for a lake show would be impossible.

Anyway, back to Christmas ?

There are a number of protected views towards the Towers, hence why Battle Galleons doesn’t use the entirety of the old boating lake.

I remember James Paulding telling us on a tour (or could have been an ECC trip) about the issues they had with Battle Galleons planning permission. The view between the stable block (i.e. the Courtyard) and the Towers & vice-versa is protected. As Battle Galleons has elements of vertical theming / construction, they had to use only a portion of the old boating lake to protect this two-way line of sight.

It's a planning technicality - you can bet they use the absolute maximum space they were allowed to, to within a couple of centimetres.

There are such planning technicalities everywhere. Where I live McD's wanted to build a new unit - but you're not allowed new-build fast food within 400m of a school. Easy solution, just jiggle the site layout from what you really wanted so the restaurant building is now 401m away from the Sixth Form Centre. Plans approved.