• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Christmas 2023

Are we comparing cbeebies to the smiler here? The coasters cost millions of pounds and are the most advanced attractions in the park. Hypothetically if all the rides you had to pay for separately like at fairs then are we saying that Octonauts would cost the same as Smiler?
No, but I’d argue that to a child, CBeebies will have just as much as value as The Smiler will to an adult, if not more.

It’s not necessarily about how advanced things are or how much they cost, but rather what the demographic makes of them. CBeebies may cost less and be less technologically advanced than the big thrill coasters, but it will provide far more value to younger guests.

No, but I’d argue that to a child, CBeebies will have just as much as value as The Smiler will to an adult, if not more.
I don't dispute that but the fact is the cost of the coasters are significantly higher in terms of maintenance etc so adults should have to pay more

Fair enough; I guess that is true.
The value of Cbeebies is just as high to children as the coasters are to adults I agree with you. It's not about the value to individuals though that wasn't my point, it's about the cost of the rides to the park. The more expensive an attraction, the more the park would charge for people wanting to ride that attraction

The lack of anything other than rides this year really comes back to bite when the weather isn’t warm enough to run them.

Cuckoo Cars, Gangsta Granny, Justin’s Factory, Sharkbait and JoJo and Gran Gran are the only things they have been able to get open so far today.

The weather is outside their control, but entirely predictable. The lack of indoor places to sit and eat and of other activities and entertainment leaves guests with not much to do.

The lack of anything other than rides this year really comes back to bite when the weather isn’t warm enough to run them.

Cuckoo Cars, Gangsta Granny, Justin’s Factory, Sharkbait and JoJo and Gran Gran are the only things they have been able to get open so far today.

The weather is outside their control, but entirely predictable. The lack of indoor places to sit and eat and of other activities and entertainment leaves guests with not much to do.
Was there yesterday for couple hours to get on some rides and I agree the event is really lacking this year. I think the market made a huge difference with all the food options. I noticed there was barely any food offering which is a shame. As for rides the lineup is alright for out of the main season. Spinball was running well and the cold air on your face was an interesting experience. Did a few rides for the first time too. Marauders disappointed me because you couldn't turn the thing in the middle so there was barely any spinning. Heave ho was actually alright tbf some kids were screaming on there so that was funny. Surprise of the day was definitely Fandango. I do love a sizzler and I forget how fun they are. Was a lot faster than I was expecting given thr fact its in a kids area. Did Gangsta for the first time this year and it's a nice themed dark ride with a few good effects. Great having an indoor ride too when it was so cold. We left early because temperatures dropped quickly and most the rides shut. Decorations were absolutely stunning I have to say. Towers street was the highlight but they've added a lot more lighting and decorations since TPWs vlog when he pointed out the lack of lighting towards the back of the park. Some of the gardens were open too which was nice. Lightopia and the market were a huge miss but there's a decent ride offering for families. Hopefully that lineup will increase next year with Curse and Hex being open

With some pretty heavy snowfall in the area, it’s great to see the resort putting this up on their Facebook page to manage guest expectations today.

Whilst this sort of thing should be the norm, the resort have historically always been very poor in communicating what guests can expect on days like this.

Hopefully it’s a sign of a more customer centric approach moving forward!

IMG_1617.jpeg

With some pretty heavy snowfall in the area, it’s great to see the resort putting this up on their Facebook page to manage guest expectations today.

Whilst this sort of thing should be the norm, the resort have historically always been very poor in communicating what guests can expect on days like this.

Hopefully it’s a sign of a more customer centric approach moving forward!

IMG_1617.jpeg
This sounds overly optimistic to me. The ride offering yesterday was virtually nil and today isn't likely to be any different. To suggest that 'a limited number may remain closed or will open later' will reassure some that it's worth making the trip, and it won't be.

Their decision to stick with a largely ride-only offering this year clearly didn't factor in days like this.

It will be beautiful of course - but with nothing to do and a very limited selection of hot food options it will be a 'one hour and done' sort of day.

I had to drop someone off at the resort earlier so popped into the park solo for an hour just to have a look around the event.
As a solo adult visitor there really was nothing much to do but wander around taking photo's, but given the weather, the park was looking a real winter wonderland.
Here are a handful of shots.

IMG_20231203_100855348.jpg
IMG_20231203_101046368.jpg
IMG_20231203_102420938.jpg
IMG_20231203_101641782.jpg

IMG_20231203_102804496.jpg

Not surprising, I think they are really prioritising maintenance this closed season after the shambles that was last season.

I assume tech services have said if that’s what management want then they need Octonauts down asap.

Closing an advertised ride in one season so it can be open in another doesn’t feel like an improvement to me.

It’s just robbing Peter to pay Paul.

You have to deal with the reality of the park you have inherited. Just because Merlin shouldn’t have neglected the park doesn’t mean they haven’t and therefore the current management have to deal with that.

Having watched the Legoland, Chessington, Warwick and read about Paultons Christmas offerings. The more either bizarre or frustrating Alton’s offering is for the UKs largest park.

The lack of indoor rides (indoor boat ride, flying theatre, trackless dark ride), all year round entertainment (indoor shows, 4D theatre, indoor mini golf, projection show) or rides more suited to winter usage (covered flat rides) it shows really bad management and long term planning.

The next 5 years need to resolve this, and it will help not only in the main season but for the aim of a 365 park (as best possible) chuck in PH in that period, resolve the food issues and maybe try and improve transport and the park should cement itself as the premium park destination in the UK and hopefully into Europe

The lack of indoor rides (indoor boat ride, flying theatre, trackless dark ride), all year round entertainment (indoor shows, 4D theatre, indoor mini golf, projection show) or rides more suited to winter usage (covered flat rides) it shows really bad management and long term planning.
You have mentioned.

No Curse at Alton Manor
No Hex
No Lightopia
No free gardens walk
No ending show

Hope more comes out because that lineup is woeful…

A 4D cinema still sat empty
Still no permanent towers/fountains show
No ice rink on the main lawns (still seems a no brainer)

Are they offering a significant discount on last year or haven’t they announced that yet?

Events have been superb in recent years, this seems a step backwards.

Long term planning for the park needs to include indoor attractions, adaptable shows (both stage and audio/visual/water) and permanent lighting. If Merlin are serious about 365 that is.

If this is what “365 park” “second to Disney” gets you, they’re deluded.

They could do better stalls, shows, open up the 4D cinema, projection mapping on the towers, skating rink, Christmas circus. Maybe a Christmas overlay of their brand new dark ride?! Or turn dungeons into a grotto ride (could be reasonably easily accomplished) using the lift space as Santa meet.

If they’ve got nothing to open it’s bad medium and long term planning, you can’t plan for a 365 opening and have no attractions that can do it.
Where’s the 4D cinemas? Flying theatres? Indoor stages? Indoor areas?

Events on the whole have stepped up, if this is all they want then fine. But don’t expect people to come back, pay top dollar, offering rubbish

The point I’m getting at is they aren’t building themselves the infrastructure to do it cheaper.

Indoor attractions (Cinema/4D cinema/dark ride/flying theatre)
Indoor shows/theatre
Better quality “stalls” that can be repurposed all year (see Efteling)
Permanent lighting
Permanent audio equipment
Lake fountain show
3D projected towers
Water screen
Land train for when the monorail isn’t running
Xmas overlay of Hex/Alton Manor?
More indoor sit down table service food establishments

There are things that can be done on a 1/3/5/10 year planning schedule to get to 365. An excellent winter event late Nov- mid Dec has to be part of that. At the moment I just don’t see it.

Hopefully, in 2024, whatever form the Christmas event takes, Hex and Curse can open as winter rides.

I hope they return to a better Christmas offering for day guests moving forward. Add an ice rink, indoor show/film in the 4D cinema building, light trail (Alton Towers would be more than capable of achieving this in-house), some more food stalls, open indoor restaurants (TS Bar & Grill and/or Woodcutters), then slowly build the event as the years go on. I wouldn't be against the lawns hosting some funfair rides, too, Alton Towers Winter Wonderland.

Having watched the Legoland, Chessington, Warwick and read about Paultons Christmas offerings. The more either bizarre or frustrating Alton’s offering is for the UKs largest park.

The next 5 years need to resolve this, and it will help not only in the main season but for the aim of a 365 park (as best possible) chuck in PH in that period, resolve the food issues and maybe try and improve transport and the park should cement itself as the premium park destination in the UK and hopefully into Europe

It needs to be far better but I’m not sure they are in any fit state to do it at the moment. Chessington has been broadly poorly reviewed and I think Towers would have been similar.