• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Closing Time: A discussion

AstroDan

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance, Cedar Point
I have just returned after a day at Drayton Manor Park, which as most of you will know, is one of the countries leading 'second tier' parks - as in, just under the Alton Towers/Thorpe Park/Blackpool etc. bracket.

I was at the park from just after 10am, at which time the ride close was advertised as 5pm (the same as Alton Towers was today). However, the park was clearly moderately busy, with queues around 30 minutes for the major rides (shorter for some, slightly longer for others). As a result, around lunchtime, the ride close sign at Guest Services was advertising a 6pm close. We continued to do the rides, but, with the hot, sunny weather - guests were chilling out in the bar area and enjoying the heat. So, ride close was increased to 6.30pm on the sign. Then, around 4pm - it changed again - to 7pm. This was due to the weather, and that the park felt that guests would stay in the park. This was the case - with ride queues remaining, albeit shorter than earlier, until closing time. It was fantastic to experience this at DMP - after a similar experience at the August Bank Holiday in 2012, when they extended even later - to 7.30pm (some rides even stayed open till 8pm then - although the park was much busier than today).

Which brings me to the main point here - Alton Towers. I don't wish to rant and I apologise if at any stage it becomes as such. I appreciate that Alton Towers is a) larger and b) has considerably greater costs. This results in it taking a lot longer to clear the park of guests, although with regards to costs - the park presumably also takes far more money in that it attracts far more people than DMP and the admission charge is 25% greater. With this in mind I don't just want to sit and shout "THEY SHOULD OPEN LATER" - because I know that the park is geographically more challenged, and guests don't always stay late.

But - it seems Alton Towers are taking guests for a ride, quite literally - and excuse the pun. If they don't hit their self imposed 'budget' for that day (i.e. the number of guests they believe they should be attracting) then there's just no chance of any extension to park hours - even if it's 20 degrees, and guests are sitting about late in the day enjoying a pint on the lawns. Why, I ask, would Drayton feel guests may wish to enjoy an extra hour - but Alton don't think it's feasible? Yesterday (5th May), ride close at Alton Towers was 5pm - even though there was a healthy number of people in the park (one of the busiest days of 2013 so far). Earlier in the season, every ride was walk on (no queue), it was cool and cloudy, and it closed at 5pm, which was fine. But yesterday, with the weather, bank holiday etc. - no difference at all. I question as to whether the boundaries for 5/5.30/6pm or later ride closes have changed in recent years, because I am confident that 2 years ago, yesterday would not have been a 5pm close. At 5.40pm yesterday, there were hundreds of guests lying on the lawns drinking, kicking balls about and far more on Towers Street. An AMAZING atmosphere which was cut short by penny pinching. All having to leave the park because it was closed. With many of them not having work the following day, it was obvious many would have stayed later. The car park queue was horrendous at 6pm - and I believe it remained so for some time after.

With the decent guest figure, hot weather and Bank Holiday situation - I ask why Alton Towers refuse to extend their ride closing time. Could they consider a staggered closing? Just some way of increasing the time guests spend in the park and, thus, money they'll spend on food, drinks and merchandise. I am starting to think that unless every queue is over an hour, they'll not extend it at all. I hope that when The Smiler opens, they're a little more free spirited.

What do others think? I am not after the park staying open till 8 or 9 at night, as it's impractical, but 5pm just seems absurd with such weather - and the fact that every other park in the UK I am aware of, was open later than Alton Towers - including cash strapped Chessington - with Alton Towers being the UK's most popular, and biggest theme park...!

Whaaa!

It is, undeniably a bit of a joke. It could almost be understood and accepted if this doesn't continue once The Smiler opens as I'm sure that profits and attendance has taken a huge hit this season so far.

However if the ride closes don't become more flexible once The Smiler opens then something is horrendously wrong. We've had a glorious weekend of weather and as you have said Dan, all other major parks have opened later or extended hours - including those owned by Merlin.

It is starting to become a bit of a farce, though I think real judgement can be made once The Smiler is open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I just want to stress before the Merlin hate begins that Legoland was supposed to open until 6 on Sunday but extended it to 7 and 5 today but extended it to 6 (there were rumours of 7 but it was never needed).

I’ve also heard similar from the other parks but can’t confirm it. Point is It just seems to be Alton that are closing earlier than you’d expect.

I think on days like this, Towers would do well to have a staggered closing in my opinion. Close Forbidden Valley, Katanga Canyon and the Flume at 5/5:30pm to help move people to towards the entrance, but leave Dark Forest, Adventure Land, X-Sector, The Farm and Mutiny Bay open until 6/7pm.

This should give people still in the park some extra time to chill, but also mean that the park saves some money by not running the water rides and two big coasters.

I'd also add that the waterpark's opeing hours are still abysmal. The site says that it was open yesterday from 10am to 6pm. Why? Most people will be on park in the morning and by the time they get back to the hotel they won't have much time to enjoy the pool. On a hot day like yesterday and today, Towers could make a killing by extending opening until 8 or even 9pm, giving guests an opportunity to have a swim before going home or even before going to their rooms in the hotel!

I firmly believe it is the management, not Merlin, that are at fault for this. As shown by the given examples, Merlin don't ban parks for opening later. And if it ain't Merlin, who else is calling for park close, it must be management!

I am not a fan of staggered closing, I would prefer a complete closing time.

5 PM is a winter closing time, not a summer one!

It's awful and I don't understand the logic.

At any European park of a similar size (or any park at all in the US,) I will happily spend ten to twelve hours on park. In that time I'll eat three square meals, a half dozen ice creams and atleast 6 pints.

At Alton I'll have a Mcdonalds breakfast on the way to the park because I'm always early and I know that the park is closed, then I'll grab a burger on park for lunch and I'll get some pub grub in the surrounding area in the evening.

I am definitely one of those guest who is crying out to spend more money on park if only they would up their game!

Certainly yesterday an extra hour of rides open would have made a massive difference to guests' experience.

As I mentioned in the general discussion topic too, an after 3 or 4pm (I used different times in the other topic but these ones are a bit more realistic) ticket could also attract those who live local and just want a quick afternoon visit.

In an ideal world rides should be closing around 5:30-6pm now and then come July/August a 7-8pm ride close should be happening. I understand the costs in running the park but closing the park at these later times would really improve things.

It's hard to believe if you just step over the pond you have rides closing at 12am in other European parks. Crazy!

Towers definitely should be open later over the summer. 5PM is a rediculous time to close, especially over the summer.

I can understand them making people leave due to construction and testing of The Smiler, but if this continues then I won't be happy :/

5pm is a ridiculous time to close in this weather. They should make it 6/7pm so people can go on all the rides they want to go on!

Unfortunately there is no discussion here. The park should be open till 7 (at the very least) but for some reason unbeknown to us, this won't be the case.

I am in full agreement with Dan on this.

The only thing i wonder is with it being such a slow season so far they are a bit scared of taking the risk or having an empty park for an hour of operation.

Still fully agree with Dan on this one, they are the UK's number one so they should be open when there is demand if only to take more of peoples money!

It should obviously be open later on such days.

Maybe it is considered too much trouble to organize staff to work overtime in such a large park given short notice when the weather decides that it is going to be good for a change. Could be a number of things really couldn't it?

I quite liked the fact that DMP were almost assessing closing time on an hour by hour basis.

10am: It was 5pm advertised
Noon: It was 6pm advertised
2pm: It was 6.30pm advertised
4pm: It was 7pm advertised

:)

I think on days like this that Alton should close at least 7PM with Cariba Creek being open until 8PM. I don't see why Alton are doing this, as with the other Merlin parks are closer later than 5PM at this time of the year. For instance the meet at Thorpe a couple of weeks ago had the park closing at 6PM, which I thought was more or less ideal.

AstroDan said:
I quite liked the fact that DMP were almost assessing closing time on an hour by hour basis.

Standing up for Towers here, travel is a darn site easier from DMP, you have to consider the staffing implications as a manager and it would create an absolute headache at Alton Towers.

That however, is because of poor planning in the first place!

TheMan said:
AstroDan said:

Standing up for Towers here, travel is a darn site easier from DMP, you have to consider the staffing implications as a manager and it would create an absolute headache at Alton Towers.

That however, is because of poor planning in the first place!

We discussed this earlier. Yes, it is a pain - but as the UK's biggest theme park, it's up to them to arrange suitable logistics for their staff!

With the issue of Smiler construction - at the moment it would be understandable to the general public (as long as they explain 'why' ) to have closed X-Sector at 5pm for continuing construction works, but extended the opening of the rest of the park for longer.

Though it seems utterly bonkers to me, on a BANK HOLIDAY weekend, not to autmatically be open until at least 6pm, even if the weather is a bit drizzly and grey. People (who get bank hols off!) will often plan in advance for a short break. Others will see how they feel in the week leading up. And given the forecasts all week have been for good weather this weekend, which will have swayed the decision for many, management had the whole week to amend staffing to cover and would easily have been able to extend the hours of opening either in advance or on the day.

Bank Holidays are actually normally quiet to medium days for the park, it makes no financial sense for them to extend closing on these days.

Burn.e said:
Bank Holidays are actually normally quiet to medium days for the park, it makes no financial sense for them to extend closing on these days.
But it does make financial sense to keep the park open later on the Sunday *before* a bank holiday when the sun is out, there are plenty of people about and guests are still lazing on the lawns in their droves at 5:45!

AstroDan said:
We discussed this earlier. Yes, it is a pain - but as the UK's biggest theme park, it's up to them to arrange suitable logistics for their staff!

Absolutely mate, it is just very poor judgement and planning.

For once the forum is united in it's views lol!!

;D

Basically: OPEN LATER SKINFLINTS! ;D