• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Coasters that you want to like, but don't

The Voyage is probably the main one for me. Everyone bangs on about it being one of the best woodies on the planet having won awards etc. Rode it expecting it to be world class woodie material... it just wasn't and I was gutted about that.

LIES! ;)

This is a good question though. I suppose Icon springs to mind. A new Mack launch in the UK, I already love Helix, I was hoping this might be my favourite UK coaster. But it was nowhere near as good as I had hoped it might be. I also really wanted to like Banshee at Kings Island, but sadly did not. I even sacrficed a second ride on The Bat to go on Banshee front row once more in the hope it might grow on me, but it did not.

Millennium at Fantasy Island. Its a big Coaster that looks cool. But it's naff. Rhombus Rocket makes a more enjoyable ride.

Another vote for Icon. The dive under into the second launch is one great bit of Coaster. Then you sort of just run out of momentum and meander back to the station. Plus the huge staircase to get out of the pit and it's just a lot of effort for a not so great Coaster.

I have a couple

Anubis at Plopsaland De Panne

I attribute much of this to the fact that I was around shortly after the ride opened, but didn’t actually get around to riding it until some time later (ironic really given the fact you have little choice but to drive right by it when visiting many European parks!).

Upon opening the ride seemed to be bandied around as this truly awesome coaster. It seemed to attract a lot of praise and I can remember getting quite hyped about it with some other people. However, when I came to ride it a couple of years ago I was really quite underwhelmed. It isn’t unpleasant, rough or anything like that. It’s just a bit boring.

I guess back in 2009 the whole rolling launch and small, nippy cars with tight inversions was quite uncommon. However, by the time I came to ride it there were many more Eurofighters and similar rides out there that I’d already done (Heck, I’d already ridden The Smiler!).

Troy - Toverland

Wholly expect to be torn apart for this one, just like I was on the meet when I first rode it! I wouldn’t go so far as to say I “dislike” it, but I certainly don’t hold it in the level of regard I would have expected to.

The same sort of reasons as above with Anubis, really. When new it was something very different that few, if any of us, had really experienced before. It made an incredible impact and was enormously hyped up by a lot of people. However, coming to it after having experienced the likes of Wodan (Wooaaaahhhdan, as opposed to Slodan), I again found myself a little underwhelmed.

Moral of the story, kids? Get on the innovative stuff while new before something bigger and better trumps it! :tearsofjoy: I dare say with a couple of re-rides I could warm to both, but based on a single ride on each... Meh. Both are rides I place in the “Ok.” category, but that on paper should have been right up my alley.

I can certainly relate to the Olympia comments too. My first ride on it in Düsseldorf was a bit mediocre. However, Alpinabahn sat next door... Ooft! Funny how much hype can influence opinion both ways.

The Big One at BPB. On paper, it sounds great. Really high, really big, really long, really fast...

But it's do boring. What should be a fantastic first drop is spoilt by unnecessary over the top banking that somehow takes nearly all the g forces away.

Long flat, high, sections with no proximity to anything else, make it seem way slower than it really is.

Little in the way of airtime, near misses, lateral G's or pretty much anything. It's so boring. The only part of the ride that tweaks my adrenaline gland even slightly is the lift hill and the sense of anticipation with admittedly impressive views before the disappointment to come.

It had the height, it had the length, it had the budget, yet against all the odds, it failed to deliver in virtually every way.

Meanwhile in the same year another coaster not a million miles away that was shorter, lower and slower knocked the thrills, adrenaline, fear and fun of of the park.

Imagine what a certain Mr Wardley could have done with the resources and comparative lack of restrictions available.

There are so many coasters with 40 foot drops that are vastly more thrilling that this near 235 foot drop. The first 2 drops on "family" coaster Wicker Man are way better.

I can only imagine what the JWBO as opposed to the PMBO would have been like.

Still don't think he would have topped Nemmie though.

Galactica. I've never understood the appeal, since the day it opened.
The short lived VR took away any of the g forces that it had. As air, it did what it said on the tin. Assume the position now fly. I guess it is now back to that, but the theme makes no sense.

Galactica. I've never understood the appeal, since the day it opened.

Galactica or Air, I agree with you, it too slow and boring for me, I rather utilise my time on Nemesis. The other thing that puts me off riding it, is the position you are left in on the brake run, it's not a comfortable feeling facing the floor which leaves me feeling sick.

Can Can Coaster at Europa Park. It really is as bad as many others have said. The ride itself is boring and I hate the theme of the ride.

Eurosat was a cracking little indoor coaster. I haven't ridden the can can coaster yet but it does look pretty terrible to be fair.

I think controversially I would have to add The Ultimate to this list. I get that many people like it but I felt as if I had been attacked by Mike Tyson for 12 rounds after coming off it. I will never love it. In fact I have no plans to go back to LWV to be honest.

Just to be clear, were you able to ride the original Eurosat? If so, how did you feel about that?
Yeah, I did ride the original eurosat which I much preferred. I've always had a soft spot for space themed indoor coasters. The original ride was faster and more exciting. I admit some of the braking could be a bit harsh on my body, but then again you can't have everything.

Ah, with you. For a second there I was worried you'd missed out on a classic! I've not had a chance to ride the new one yet either, @Benjsh, but have to agree it looks pants.

As for the Ultimate, well... I respect your reasoning, sir. Even if it is wrong.

Ah, with you. For a second there I was worried you'd missed out on a classic! I've not had a chance to ride the new one yet either, @Benjsh, but have to agree it looks pants.

As for the Ultimate, well... I respect your reasoning, sir. Even if it is wrong.

Hahahahaha....I knew it was controversial. Perhaps being 6ft 5 doesn't help my cause on that ride. My legs were battered and bruised. I really wanted to enjoy it too, especially the section after the second lift hill when it gets pretty intense.

+1 for Can Can Coaster. I've ridden it 8 times (9 if you include Coastiality), and although the queue line theming is great, and the on-ride theming is... fine, the actual coaster can be pretty inconsistent. Only once have I had a great ride on it (where it didn't trim on the 2nd MCBR), but the next ride I had on it we physically stopped on both MCBRs. Usually you get some harsh braking which kills any pacing.

I think controversially I would have to add The Ultimate to this list. I get that many people like it but I felt as if I had been attacked by Mike Tyson for 12 rounds after coming off it. I will never love it. In fact I have no plans to go back to LWV to be honest.
Even though it doesn't look like my sort of thing at all, The Ultimate is one of those coasters that I'd really like to ride one day for the experience. A lot of people seem to like it, but I'm not overly sure if I'd enjoy it; I don't really tend to enjoy really brutal coasters that much at all. Unlike some other enthusiasts, I tend to rank more fun, rerideable coasters highly as opposed to the out and out intense ones, which is probably why I have some somewhat controversial rankings (for example, quite a few people love Grand National, whereas it's only one spot away from the bottom of my overall rankings. The Ultimate does seem to be liked by far more people than Grand National, however.).

I have a somewhat controversial viewpoint in saying that I would rather ride a gentle coaster than a really rough one

+1 for The Ultimate. Clearly it didn't scramble my brain enough for me to like it. I'd like to try it again now I know what to expect!