Controversial Alton Towers Opinions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Heidi, 6th Apr 2021.

1. Skyscraper

Skyscraper TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    I think that belongs in the controversial opinions thread... :p;)

Trooper Looper and Jb85 like this.
  2. Matt N

Matt N TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    We’re in the controversial opinions thread, aren’t we?

Or are you on about the overall one?

3. Ethan

Ethan TowersStreet Member

Finally. Someone who speaks nothing but facts

4. Skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Yeah I was thinking about the overall one. Didn't realize it was in the Towers-specific one. :oops::p

Matt N likes this.
  5. Drew Peacock

Drew Peacock TowersStreet Member

I mean it's all down to opinion.

The Nemesis is still an amazing ride, I just prefer the Smiler.

Skyscraper likes this.
  6. s_g_k

s_g_k TowersStreet Member

We did both today and I whole heartedly agree with you. I’d even go as far as to say Nemesis was actually quite dull compared to The Smiler, but we did do them one after the other.

Ethan likes this.
  7. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I’ve actually got another one; as much as I liked it from an immersion standpoint, I wouldn’t be too sad if Wicker Man’s pre-show didn’t return, at least in its previous form.

I know it might seem blasphemous for me to say it, but the ride currently has some of the most slick operations I’ve ever seen on it, and I feel like that might suffer if the pre-show came back, or at least came back in its previous form. I guess they could alter it so that you could still be told the ride’s story in a non-batched pre-show similar to CATCF’s old pre-show (i.e. you queue through the room, but a pre-show runs on a constant loop every few minutes or so).

Besides, I actually think that the room is still quite striking and immersive to queue through in its present form; the flickering ram’s head projection and the ambient lighting still set the scene really nicely, in my opinion!

8. Alsty

Alsty TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Shambhala
    Opinions ≠ Facts.

jmc, D4n, Matt.GC and 2 others like this.
  9. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    The preshow is/was problematic, mainly as there isn't really enough queue line on the other side of it. Ideally they'd put smaller groups in and/or delay the start of the show as necessary to ensure there's enough space beyond for everyone to leave, without having the ride waiting for guests. My main issue with it though was the crush as everyone rushed for the exit, adding some switchbacks would really help there.

Matt N and Skyscraper like this.
  10. Skyscraper

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Plus there's that fence in front of the exit door, can be a shock if you don't notice it in the dark room! :eek:

11. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    Thankfully, they’ve currently put rope across preventing you from hitting that fence while you’re waiting in the pre-show room!

Skyscraper likes this.
  12. Davezilla

Davezilla TowersStreet Member

Oblivion is better than Sheikra. Sheikra has a longer layout but I find it a bit boring, and nowhere near as intimidating as Oblivion. The only 2 dives I've done by the way.

D4n likes this.
  13. Matt.GC

Matt.GC TowersStreet Member

Very controversial, because if they start whittling away to destroy Wicker Man's experience and theme (note a rubbish amount of smoke now, removal of screens and the fire effects going the way of the dodo), what we'll end up being left with is a relatively unremarkable and tame woodie.

Towers jamie, Heidi and Matt N like this.
  14. Loui Richards

Loui Richards TowersStreet Member

The Wicker Man pre-show was certainly very immersive and impressive but maybe just have it running but not holding people in the room! This would benefit Alton Towers as well:
    - less disruption if a part were to not work.
    - no need for the staff member to control the preshow room so it does save staff costs by a tiny amount!

Skyscraper likes this.
  15. Danscott22

Danscott22 TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Falcon's Fury
    I'd personally like the pre show to return, and rubbish amount of smoke now? I've never seen so many smoke effects on the ride as I did last Thursday! They were blasting it out! Even "that room" was filled with it!

Heidi, Towers jamie and Skyscraper like this.
  16. Matt.GC

Matt.GC TowersStreet Member

Glad to hear this, especially in the room which is an awesome effect. Was a weedy amount of smoke my last visit

17. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I’ve got another controversial opinion to do with Wicker Man, then; in spite of the fact I do absolutely love Wicker Man’s theming, I would enjoy the ride just as much without it.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it would fit into the park as nicely if it didn’t have the theming, and I absolutely love the fact that it’s there, as I think it does make the ride very unique and special, but for me, the ride would still be my #3 coaster even if it was bunged on a car park with no theming.

18. Poisson

Poisson TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Giant Squid
    Rita is the UK's best launch coaster

Rick and RoyJess like this.
  19. OilyWater

OilyWater TowersStreet Member

Why are Alton Towers fans supporting part of the experience being taken away to save the park money, before it's even happened? UK theme parks really have set the standard so bad.

pluk and Heidi like this.
  20. Matt N

Favourite Ride:
    Mako (SeaWorld Orlando)
    I only said what I said because I feel like the pre-show not being there improves the operational efficiency of the ride, and I feel that you still get a really striking build-up with the ambient audio and lighting, and the flickering ram’s head above you!

Also, I don’t think the pre-show is quite as pivotal to the experience on Wicker Man as it is on something like Hex. With Hex, the whole experience basically revolves around the pre-shows, whereas with Wicker Man, it’s more of an extra, and as much as the pre-show is very nicely done, I think it’s a bit of a one-time thing for many.

Given that on both of my 2021 visits, the amount of smoke and lighting have made the ride look practically brand new again, I’d suggest that there’s no desire from the park to water down the immersion any time soon!