• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Controversial Alton Towers Opinions

I’ve actually got another one; as much as I liked it from an immersion standpoint, I wouldn’t be too sad if Wicker Man’s pre-show didn’t return, at least in its previous form.

I know it might seem blasphemous for me to say it, but the ride currently has some of the most slick operations I’ve ever seen on it, and I feel like that might suffer if the pre-show came back, or at least came back in its previous form. I guess they could alter it so that you could still be told the ride’s story in a non-batched pre-show similar to CATCF’s old pre-show (i.e. you queue through the room, but a pre-show runs on a constant loop every few minutes or so).

Besides, I actually think that the room is still quite striking and immersive to queue through in its present form; the flickering ram’s head projection and the ambient lighting still set the scene really nicely, in my opinion!

The preshow is/was problematic, mainly as there isn't really enough queue line on the other side of it. Ideally they'd put smaller groups in and/or delay the start of the show as necessary to ensure there's enough space beyond for everyone to leave, without having the ride waiting for guests. My main issue with it though was the crush as everyone rushed for the exit, adding some switchbacks would really help there.

The preshow is/was problematic, mainly as there isn't really enough queue line on the other side of it. Ideally they'd put smaller groups in and/or delay the start of the show as necessary to ensure there's enough space beyond for everyone to leave, without having the ride waiting for guests. My main issue with it though was the crush as everyone rushed for the exit, adding some switchbacks would really help there.
Plus there's that fence in front of the exit door, can be a shock if you don't notice it in the dark room! :eek:

Plus there's that fence in front of the exit door, can be a shock if you don't notice it in the dark room! :eek:
Thankfully, they’ve currently put rope across preventing you from hitting that fence while you’re waiting in the pre-show room!

Oblivion is better than Sheikra. Sheikra has a longer layout but I find it a bit boring, and nowhere near as intimidating as Oblivion. The only 2 dives I've done by the way.

Reactions: D4n
I’ve actually got another one; as much as I liked it from an immersion standpoint, I wouldn’t be too sad if Wicker Man’s pre-show didn’t return, at least in its previous form.

I know it might seem blasphemous for me to say it, but the ride currently has some of the most slick operations I’ve ever seen on it, and I feel like that might suffer if the pre-show came back, or at least came back in its previous form. I guess they could alter it so that you could still be told the ride’s story in a non-batched pre-show similar to CATCF’s old pre-show (i.e. you queue through the room, but a pre-show runs on a constant loop every few minutes or so).

Besides, I actually think that the room is still quite striking and immersive to queue through in its present form; the flickering ram’s head projection and the ambient lighting still set the scene really nicely, in my opinion!
Very controversial, because if they start whittling away to destroy Wicker Man's experience and theme (note a rubbish amount of smoke now, removal of screens and the fire effects going the way of the dodo), what we'll end up being left with is a relatively unremarkable and tame woodie.

The Wicker Man pre-show was certainly very immersive and impressive but maybe just have it running but not holding people in the room! This would benefit Alton Towers as well:
- less disruption if a part were to not work.
- no need for the staff member to control the preshow room so it does save staff costs by a tiny amount!

Very controversial, because if they start whittling away to destroy Wicker Man's experience and theme (note a rubbish amount of smoke now, removal of screens and the fire effects going the way of the dodo), what we'll end up being left with is a relatively unremarkable and tame woodie.
I’ve got another controversial opinion to do with Wicker Man, then; in spite of the fact I do absolutely love Wicker Man’s theming, I would enjoy the ride just as much without it.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think it would fit into the park as nicely if it didn’t have the theming, and I absolutely love the fact that it’s there, as I think it does make the ride very unique and special, but for me, the ride would still be my #3 coaster even if it was bunged on a car park with no theming.

Why are Alton Towers fans supporting part of the experience being taken away to save the park money, before it's even happened? UK theme parks really have set the standard so bad.
I only said what I said because I feel like the pre-show not being there improves the operational efficiency of the ride, and I feel that you still get a really striking build-up with the ambient audio and lighting, and the flickering ram’s head above you!

Also, I don’t think the pre-show is quite as pivotal to the experience on Wicker Man as it is on something like Hex. With Hex, the whole experience basically revolves around the pre-shows, whereas with Wicker Man, it’s more of an extra, and as much as the pre-show is very nicely done, I think it’s a bit of a one-time thing for many.

Given that on both of my 2021 visits, the amount of smoke and lighting have made the ride look practically brand new again, I’d suggest that there’s no desire from the park to water down the immersion any time soon!