• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Cute story about a bloke proposing at AT

Holy cow Rick... I seriously don't understand why people spend that much on an engagement ring, let alone to take it on a 400ft ride. Madness!

Just checked this one...And unusually my memory was correct.
You are meant, as an old fashioned gentleman, to spend two months salary on an engagement ring.
So in current terms, five grand sounds about right.

That's a 'tradition' made up by Dr Beers, the diamond merchant! It was originally one months salary when they came up with it in the 1930s, and they increased that to two months in the 1980s.

But as it was invented as a marketing campaign, I've never paid much attention to it ;)

Well I'm pretty sure it was my gran that told me in the seventies, my darling wife's cost me about two weeks wages, and was about twenty years too late.

So cute. I’d rather have a rusty screw driver through the bell*** than get married but if I was that would be the dream.

Ahh I love that. where as I’m into men so I’d have a dad who’d probably refuse to attend and uncomfortable family members and I’d feel like I was in a circus. I should rephrase this as I would hate the ceremony, not the idea of marriage.

I would hate the ceremony, not the idea of marriage.
Nah man, your wedding can be whatever you want it to be - for the two of you who are getting married, not your family or anyone else (though of course, you might want to invite them - but you also might not want to).

A wedding doesn't have to be the traditional church/registry office and then pub affair with two hundred people attending. If you want to do a quiet ceremony on a tropical beach, or in the middle of a climate protest, or whatever... then that's cool.

Getting married was literally one of the best things I've ever done. It was basically a big party with our friends... what's not to like about that!? ;)

Ahh I love that. where as I’m into men so I’d have a dad who’d probably refuse to attend and uncomfortable family members and I’d feel like I was in a circus. I should rephrase this as I would hate the ceremony, not the idea of marriage.

I think many people fall into the trap of trying to out do other people weddings. Remember a wedding is about you and your partner, not your wedding guest. It's not just about the day, but your whole future together as a couple.

Jess and I was just going to get wed in a registry office and then go to MacDonalds for the after meal, without telling anyone. We needed witness, so we told family last minute who runaround and put together a buffet at the Mother-in-laws house. We upgraded Jess' wedding dress and after the buffet at the in-laws, Jess and I (without the rest of the wedding guests) went for a Carvery meal at Dunston Hall in Norwich. I spent the night before with Jess, I drove her to the registry office in our little red sports car. We had a cheap wedding, but it was a lovely wedding as it was about us and not about impressing the guests. My family didn't show, but then the day wasn't about them. At the end of the day, we had a lovely stress free day :)

I think many people fall into the trap of trying to out do other people weddings. Remember a wedding is about you and your partner, not your wedding guest. It's not just about the day, but your whole future together as a couple.

Oh ain't that the truth. My sister-in-law got married at a Camel Farm, including the registrar there were ten people there, mind you she had invited more, but because she married an arsehole, the only people who turned up were people who either didn't know him or felt an obligation to attend being the only family the bride had left. It was overall a great wedding, much fun was had and it was all over within 2 hours.

Contrast that to another wedding we went to that started at 10am and ended at 2am the next morning, there were literally people asleep at their tables after the main meal and it was so badly organised that it made a bunch of monkeys trying to play football look like a well organised machine. We left about 4pm and according to the groom, they had fallen into the trap you mentioned and wanted to give everybody s day to remember, he will be paying off the loan he got for the day for about another five years.

Our wedding was taken over by my parents, we wanted a small one but were bullied into having an "event" luckily we kept some control over things and it went off reasonably well, the funniest part was when my mum thought there was no wedding cake (long story as to why) and was having a rant at anybody who'd listen at about how disorganised we'd been and we walked in with it in a washing basket (it was the only thing we could carry the two tiers in together) and put it together all while she didn't even notice.

Do what you want to do, fuck everybody else.

I proposed during Scarefest 2013 in the gardens behind the AT hotel.
I'd had it planned for a while, and had to sit on the left side of my Mrs all day on all the rides so she wouldn't feel the ring box in my pocket.
After a day on the park I suggested a quick drink and a wonder around the hotel garden before heading for bed.
The garden and fountain looked amazing with all the lights on for the night, and I dropped to one knee in the bandstand bit by the 'lake' while the other half had a chat with a scarecrow.

Needless to say, she said yes and we've lived happily ever after! (so far)