• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Do Alton Towers need a new 'Kid's Mascot'?

CoasterCrazyChris said:
It's not the 1980's anymore - the era of mascots is over.

So no.

The era of mascots isn't over at all. I think it would be a really good idea for Towers too get a new mascot. The Henry Hound costume is still in the costume dept near Hex so i'd love too see Henry return.

ThemeParkJack said:
CoasterCrazyChris said:
It's not the 1980's anymore - the era of mascots is over.

So no.

The era of mascots isn't over at all. I think it would be a really good idea for Towers too get a new mascot. The Henry Hound costume is still in the costume dept near Hex so i'd love too see Henry return.

They might work for Disney and the likes of Europa Park to a certain a degree, but not in Britain anymore.

Besides, you need a squeaky clean park image (you know, neat cut flowerbeds and the like) before you can pull off a decent mascot - and Alton's is long gone.

The comment about the mascots being over is unture. Across Midway alone they spend literally THOUSANDS on costume characters. Speaking to someone in LDC said they spend roughly £135k on a specially made LEGO costume for just one midway and think how many Discovery Centers there are. The price is based on the UK one as it has to be specifically made in the USA then of course shipped over.

Again SEA LIFE do the same although the costumes differ ''Shakey The Shark'' Or Sharky can be found at near enough EVERY SEA LIFE. Birmingham used to have a Turtle and Ray costume too. However they have a Lobster costume now called ''Lenny the Lobster''.

And the fact that Midway invested again a hell of alot of money into Octonauts a childrens brand and Costumes aswell as Timmy Time goes to show that costumes arent dead at all. There is still a hell of alot of demand for them!

Put this argument to bed in one post here.

The success of Moshi Monsters weekend proves that having a character kids can relate to, and then visit, in er... costume format, is far from done with.

Kids are still kids, they still relate to characters in costumes - what is more, they always will, and always have.

The way characters are received by ADULTS during scarefest should prove that regardless of age, someone of relevance, who brings a sense of the bringing to life of an atmosphere to place, never looses it's draw.

Not long ago there was a thread dedicated to the pirate fella that went around in his motorised boat (sorry forgot the guys name!) - universally praised, bringing an area to life.

I'm not saying Alton advertise around these mascots, but when on park, having characters people/kids can relate and interact with will never go out of fashion as we are human lol!

I think they do need a kids mascot - or at least would benefit greatly from one. Proverbial no brainer that one really.

Kids mascots based around fad IP's will always be popular to a certain extent....but a general park wide mascot that embodies Alton Towers as a whole such as Henry Hound did in the 80's (from what I can gather, I wasn't alive) is highly unlikely to catch on in this day and age.

As I said before, the park as a whole is tired and jaded and has been now for at least a decade. They would need to spend a fair amount of money getting the park in order and improving its overall image before they could even think about introducing the sort of mascot you would put on every plastic cup and paper napkin on the resort. And that's unlikely to happen.

And as far as the midway attractions are concerned, their size in comparison to the likes of Alton Towers makes them almost entirely irrelevant in this discussion. Combined with the fact their mascots are also driven by IP's (in the case of Lego) or in the case of 'Sharkey the Shark' at Sealife it only works because the whole attraction is based around sea creatures.

:)

CoasterCrazyChris said:
...before they could even think about introducing the sort of mascot you would put on every plastic cup and paper napkin on the resort.

I didn't mean it like that, that would be horrid lol!! Can you imagine? The logo and brand of Alton Towers already has an icon in that respect, rather than a mascot.

I was more referring to a character within the park, that the kids can relate to or recognise - not one that would invoke a hostile take over of the whole parks marketing and merchandise ha-ha!! ;)