• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Do they ever want Alton Towers to recover?

I find it almost impossible to believe that Merlin would continue to run a single night of fireworks if this were true.

Isn't that why they scrapped the third day?

I probably didn't word it right, what I meant was only certain dates made money, as much as I'd love (and attend) some Easter or Summer events, I just can't see them doing it based on what they've said in the past. Outside of us lot, there seems to be some weird obsession with the general public that they would rather attend a theme park during the day and endure a 3 hour queue than they would attend in the evening and queue for 5 minutes. Thorpe Park tried evening events many times and have given up because they never made any money from it, now the only chance you have to ride at Thorpe on a Summers evening is attend MoS.

So the place is packed to the limit and people are buying fast track left right and centre. Food kiosks have half mile queues and they ain't making money? Why don't they just shut up and cut down sw8? That is probably going to have 3 or above hours wait according to a news article on central news (considering that the smiler had a 2 hour queue over scarefeast ) and if the place is only open to 4 that leaves you with 3 hours to do anything else. What a worthwhile day out! Of course it will pay off to open a bit later. Or another idea is for us all to get into the wicker man queue at 3:50 and the place will have to stay open until about 6 to get through the queue (if it's on 2 hour wait at that point )

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

OK, I'll put in in terms you might be able to grasp, if opening the park to 9 each night was profitable they would.

They don't, because for the vast majority of the year opening until 9 isn't profitable.

It's the same reason the length of scarefest has been cut, and the same reason the fireworks has been reduced to two days (by Christ, I think it was a mod up thread that told us that little nugget), it's also the same reason why the parks now have mid-week closures.

Yes the park was rammed these past two days, because the event was only two days.

I thought the park was busy for most of scarefeast? which was more than two days. The first weekend when I took the kids it was rammed. Two weeks later the Sunday was heaving 1hr queue for nemesis and no room in or outside the coffee shop for my wife waiting . She had to wait best part of 20 mins in a queue to get coffee from a kiosk. And I was told that the park was rammed for half term weekend to weekend 9 full days! The tills must have been coining it in!!! All I'm suggesting is that they run some sort of event for two weeks over easter and maybe two or three over summer, and with similar crowds which were witnessed over scarefeast the place will be on the road to recovery and can open some more SBNO rides (Charlie, N:ST etc) and hey presto let the good times roll! Lesson of the day to aid the recovery don't make savage cuts!

Judging by Ride Times, the park actually didn't seem that rammed over Fireworks compared to last year.

Also, do we actually know when the park opens for 2018 yet, or is it just enthusiasts speculating? I know I said the 17th March in the 2018 season thread, but I only said that because it was on the T&Cs of the half price vouchers.

I was talking about scarefeast when I was talking about it being rammed not fireworks but hey ho lessons learned from last year regarding the chaos. Another season is over and lets look forward to 2018. let's hope there's a better offering for all the new visitors heading to Staffordshire for the wicker man.

Well 2017 has certainly been a great season, I've definitely had my money's worth out of my map! The question is wether to renew it or not?! I think I will have to with sw8 opening next season :)