• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park - Splash Canyon Incident

Thorpe Park are stating Rumba Rapids will not be open tomorrow - clearly for the same reasons as Alton, awaiting whether it's a ride/design/operations fault that caused the incident. I expect Legoland will do the same on Thursday if necessary.
(or whether it's a guest failing to follow safety instructions...)
I suspect merlin sent an email to all UK park operations to close down all rapids.

What's the odds on it being child stood up, ride bumps into side which sends them flying into the water?

Can't be anything insanely serious, otherwise we wouldn't have a singular victim would we?

Wonder how the papers would react to this being the fault of the human condition...

What's the odds on it being child stood up, ride bumps into side which sends them flying into the water?

Can't be anything insanely serious, otherwise we wouldn't have a singular victim would we?

Wonder how the papers would react to this being the fault of the human condition...
That's what it sounds like. But of course, we don't actually know yet.

Mods: if this does turn out to be the cause, are we allowed to point out their stupidity is gene pool karma? Or are we supposed to pretend they didn't deserve it? ;)

Mods: if this does turn out to be the cause, are we allowed to point out their stupidity is gene pool karma? Or are we supposed to pretend they didn't deserve it? ;)

If you can honestly tell me you've never stood up on a rapids ride before..... But, I can guarantee you have and people can sometimes just get caught up in the moment when they're about to be drenched. The likelihood is it probably is thanks to them standing up, but I'm not going to point out their stupidity, it's someone's kid after all - and if that's what it is I'm sure we've all been guilty of doing at one point or another!

We're supposed to give them a cuddle and trll then it wasn't their fault.

Oh and start a justgiving page for the family?

Wether it was the girls fault or not we don't know yet but I feel for her. Can't have been pleasent espacially in that water.

What effect will this have for Drayton? I can't imagine they are financially very well off compared to the merlin parks?

Updated statement from Staffs Police:

Following an incident at Drayton Manor Park, we can confirm that an 11-year-old girl has died this afternoon (May 9).

Emergency services were called at 2.20pm following reports the girl had fallen from a water ride at the park.

Superintendent Carl Ratcliffe, of Staffordshire Police, said:

“Specially-trained officers are supporting the girl’s family at this difficult time. Our thoughts are very much with her family and friends following this tragic incident.”

He added the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) had been informed of the incident.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesman said: “On arrival, crews discovered a girl with serious injuries who had been rescued from the water by park staff.

“Ambulance staff administered advanced life support before she was flown to Birmingham Children’s Hospital with the doctor continuing treatment en-route.

“Unfortunately, shortly after arrival at hospital the girl passed away.”

The family have requested that their wishes are respected at this difficult time.

Very sad :(

This could have a very lasting impact on the theme park industry in the UK, regardless of who's at fault.

An incident causing a death is very tragic. Thoughts go to the girls family and the Drayton staff.

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

Even though this is a more serious incident than Smiler, we all know the press will forget about it in a couple of days. Just look at M&Ds last year. No one outside the midlands has heard of DMP, but everyone knows about Alton... And the Smiler.

Terrible news. :(

Thoughts with her family as well as those at Drayton who witnessed what must have been an awful event to see. When you think about it rapids are dangerous rides, whizzing around white water in a raft with big bumps along the way and no restraint. Two major incidents on rapids rides in the space of six months or so is not going to do much for them.

This appears to be very different to The Smiler though and I'd imagine what follows will be as well.

:)

I'll be completely honest, over the many years of visiting UK parks I'm pretty sure I've stood up for a short amount of time on these Rapids rides on a couple of occasions, probably as a child/young teen. It's just that 99.9% of the time nothing bad ever happens. Mates who have been with me have done the same on multiple occasions. If this is what happened (this is obviously all speculation as we don't have any facts), then I wouldn't dream of laying into the girl. Even if she was standing up for some reason like many people have over the years, unless she was doing something extremely dangerous like hanging off the side or something, she's still been very unlucky. Terrible really for a young girl to go out for a fun day and end up losing her life. I wonder how this will play out for the UK theme park industry as a whole? Drayton could really struggle after this, whether it was their fault or not.