• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

I do recall a waterfall in a cave at BGT though absolutely soaking a mother in another group on our boat!
Actually, come to think of it, I think this may have been it as opposed to the pipe! The pipe certainly got the two of us fairly wet compared to everyone else (and was vastly more forceful than Drayton’s one looks), but I think it was this one that really got us!

Coincidentally, BGT’s rapids are also called Congo River Rapids…

In the 90s and early 2000s they had those random hose pipes that would get you on the Towers rapids. They were at the wave area just before the waterfalls and right at the end near the exit bridge.

Not sure why they were removed but it was a long time ago.

Good to have it back open and most welcome too at a park that is suffering a lot for major rides. Does still look incredibly drab in places though which is a shame. Some of the new scenery looks nice though but there's still an awful lot of concrete trough and not a lot else.

I really hope Towers do a better job of refurbing CRR (whenever that may be). They can be incredibly good rides if done well.

Good to have it back open and most welcome too at a park that is suffering a lot for major rides. Does still look incredibly drab in places though which is a shame. Some of the new scenery looks nice though but there's still an awful lot of concrete trough and not a lot else.

I really hope Towers do a better job of refurbing CRR (whenever that may be). They can be incredibly good rides if done well.

From memory though CRR at AT always had more areas of just grass/trees though? Whereas Splash Canyon always had more buildings & wild west theming?

Congo is sunken in the land better so feels more immersive to me. Or at least it did when it was worth riding anyway.
Ah yes I know what you mean now. Congo does let you see the grass better. Its better built into the landscaping. But I still think Splash Canyon felt more interesting with the Wild West buildings. But it has been 15 years since I rode it I think.
Viking Splash at Legoland is the worst for feeling like you are in a concrete car park.

Interestingly, there is apparently land clearing going on behind Air Race… could we be seeing something else added to Adventure Cove for 2022?

Well Air race is currently closed so they could be finishing off the area and getting Air race rethemed to match the area better. I think also the wave swinger and the outdoor playground will be available for the Christmas event as the reason it’s having lights fitted round them.

Although they could be for anything and doesn’t mean it’s for a ride I understand loads of markings have also appeared on the floor throughout the aerial park area (by buffalo and Flying Dutchman) and extend a fair amount around the area.

Overall I think Drayton have done a good job of the whole Adventure Cove. A year ago I wouldn’t have expected what they have done and to the level of quality, which for Drayton seems great. It’s also encouraging that they have used quality manufactures such as new Intamin Boats, which would be the most expressive option rather than a cheaper manufacture or refurbing the old boats. Also they seem to have purchased a good amount of boats, I kind of expected them to have have not purchased many, and therefor reducing capacity by a fair bit, but this isn’t the case. Plus with Wave swinger they have gone with the best manufacture for this ride, again rather than cheaper options.

they have thought about the whole area and implemented lots of smaller details such as music etc.

While I am sure Drayton rough plans to do this seaside makeover (was previously rumoured as a plan for 2020) but didn’t have the funds. It’s encouraging that the Loopings group have invested straight away to allow this area to happen.

I understood this is just the first part of planned investment plan over the next few years that will see many more upgrades and new rides/attractions added.

With the right investment being made over the next few years the park can again be a top family destination. The park does have advantages over many other parks that struggled in recent years in that its still attracts a good number of guests with 1m-1.2 a year, that's 3-4 times what some other parks like oakwood, light water valley get. Alot of their financial struggles came from interest on the debt the park had, built up from previous investments and hotel etc. Plus the park has a great catchment area being located in the midlands and close to many major cities.

The park also has the foundations of a great family park already with young kids well accounted for with the Thomas land, two quality water rides, plus a range of flats and a couple of dark rides. Hopefully over the next 5+ years if the park can invest in a couple of new coasters, one more on the family thrill side and another more family based as a replacement for the ageing buffalo. Plus a new ride in side the pirates building, a few new flats and makeover of the some other park areas such as arial park. With the expected removal of Apocalypse and pandamonium, along with markings on the ground in that area its expected that this area will be the focus of redevelopment in the coming years.

Will be an interesting park to watch again, after many years with lack of investment. Hopefully the increased investment and ultimately competition for the family market, pushes Merlin to invest more on new family attractions at Alton.

Looks good - exciting 3-5 years for the park
I wonder what they'll add I'd like to think they'd be a Wave 2 and maybe 3 for adventure cove and then maybe a family coaster? I really think a new coaster would do wonders for Drayton. Something like a family launch coaster would be perfect.