• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

...and there's your answer as to why they can't just "borrow" their way out of trouble.

From a purely business perspective, the only way for the company to move forward would be to hugely restructure the business with lots of redundancies. This way they would be able to control their cost base; this is something that AT did after The Smiler incident in 2015.

:)

Out of interest where did you get that information from? Not doubting it at all, it does make absolute sense given what happened and would explain their poor operations. Just curious.

Companies House. FYI I made a mistake earlier, it was a loss of £1.2M, not £1.6, from a £25M Revenue. This is compared to the 2016 Financial Year where they turned a £300K+ profit!

2zfBGZe.png

I'd expect that would be an extraordinary loss as a result of an extraordinary year with extraordinary costs. Taken in isolation it does not really give much information about their overall financial possition, do they have reserves? Available credit? They must have the continuing support of their creditors or they'd have folded already. The backbone of what they have is a decent park.

Making a further comparison with Paultons, another reason they have been successful is because they provide a thoroughly decent day out with excellent customer service at a fair and clear ticket price with no hidden charges. Unnecessary, in terms of it being required to manage space, parking charges are not a way to be going about emulating that success.

I'd expect that would be an extraordinary loss as a result of an extraordinary year with extraordinary costs. Taken in isolation it does not really give much information about their overall financial possition, do they have reserves? Available credit? They must have the continuing support of their creditors or they'd have folded already. The backbone of what they have is a decent park.

Making a further comparison with Paultons, another reason they have been successful is because they provide a thoroughly decent day out with excellent customer service at a fair and clear ticket price with no hidden charges. Unnecessary, in terms of it being required to manage space, parking charges are not a way to be going about emulating that success.

They have £10,000 worth of Reserves. This is as good as considered negligible.

The accounts which they publish will not show how much credit they are available to take - just how much credit they have already taken (i.e. Current Liabilities/NCL).

It won't say we have the ability to take a £10M re-financing loan, etc.

Not many people go to theme parks without using vouchers these days, and it's probably just as cheap or even cheaper using vouchers to go to a far superior (relatively close) park in Alton Towers. Looked about a month ago as was interested in visiting but couldn't find any way of visiting unless I paid £20 + . Didn't bother going. Would have paid about £15. Oh look Drayton, you've just lost a load of visitors, and those visitors buy food and merchandise. Not rocket science.

Pretty poor really considering their car park is literally a muddy field and the place is difficult to access via public transport.

Not surprised by this though, most other parks do it so they'll see it as an opportunity no doubt.

Can you get to Drayton Manor by public transport? If not they shouldn't be charging for parking

Tamworth is served by not only the west coast main line, but the Birmingham to Nottingham mainline too. You can get off at Tamworth station on either line then with the in station taxi company (Acorns) it is about £6 to the park, or a 45 minute walk. The closests station is Wilnecote station (also part of Tamworth) which is on the Birmingham to Nottingham mainline only, it is a 20 minute walk to the park from there. There is also a bus service that drops right outside the park from either Birmingham or Tamworth, so you could get that from the town center after the train, or the other way, cant remember the number for that one. Also the 110 stops in Fazeley itself and can be boarded in Tamworth or Birmingham.

With all that in mind, I would say the park is very well connected to public transport links.

Last edited:
Tamworth is served by not only the west coast main line, but the Birmingham to Nottingham mainline too. You can get off at Tamworth station on either line then with the in station taxi company (Acorns) it is about £6 to the park, or a 45 minute walk. The closests station is Wilnecote station (also part of Tamworth) which is on the Birmingham to Nottingham mainline only, it is a 20 minute walk to the park from there. There is also a bus service that drops right outside the park from either Birmingham or Tamworth, so you could get that from the town center after the train, or the other way, cant remember the number for that one. Also the 110 stops in Fazeley itself and can be boarded in Tamworth or Birmingham.

With all that in mind, I would say the park is very well connected to public transport links.
Much better than Alton Towers.

While still not a good thing, this makes charging for parking excusable Imo