• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

Out of interest, how long is it since all 5 of Apocalypse’s towers have operated?

I only ask because yesterday, only one sit-down tower was operating, and the other 4 towers looked well and truly broken, as though they hadn’t operated in some time. Here’s a photo I took yesterday, for some idea:
BAF59122-625-A-4226-94-F6-1-C2538-BAEC43.jpg

The ride was running well, but I do get the impression it’s limping to the finish line a tad…

Out of interest, how long is it since all 5 of Apocalypse’s towers have operated?

I only ask because yesterday, only one sit-down tower was operating, and the other 4 towers looked well and truly broken, as though they hadn’t operated in some time. Here’s a photo I took yesterday, for some idea:

The ride was running well, but I do get the impression it’s limping to the finish line a tad…
What did you think to Vikings Matt?

Chute 2 is the operating one, Chute 5 was operating on my last visit in May, Chute 4 was last operating in the first half of last year I think, Chute 1 I beleive is in better condition but not sure when it last run (I'm guessing 2019), Chute 3 is well and truly the spare parts donor (I'm guessing not since 2018 but not sure tbh)

What did you think to Vikings Matt?
I will do a separate, longer review of Vikings at some stage, but if you’d like some brief thoughts; I thought it was a very nice area! The new flat rides look nice and work well within the area, Jormungandr looks a lot nicer than it did as Buffalo and has been rejuvenated really nicely, there’s some very nice theming, and overall, I thought they did a great job with it!

I know in 2020 when the parks reopened after the 1st lockdown it was working both sit downs, Floorless and 1 stand up and that continued to the end of the 2020 main season. When the park reopened in April last year after the 2nd lockdown only 1 sit down, 1 stand up and floorless was opened. Then around summer time the cable needed to be replaced on the stand up and parts are used off both to keep the floorless open. (Think it may need to ride to be closed to do the work)I was told by a friend who works on the ride that both sit downs could operate but they keeping the other 1 for spares just in case. I bet they knew from day 1 from taking over that Apocalypse and Pandemonium was not in there short term plans and with Maelstrom been 20 years old this year I wonder if that will be the next thrill ride to leave the park.

I know in 2020 when the parks reopened after the 1st lockdown it was working both sit downs, Floorless and 1 stand up and that continued to the end of the 2020 main season. When the park reopened in April last year after the 2nd lockdown only 1 sit down, 1 stand up and floorless was opened. Then around summer time the cable needed to be replaced on the stand up and parts are used off both to keep the floorless open. (Think it may need to ride to be closed to do the work)I was told by a friend who works on the ride that both sit downs could operate but they keeping the other 1 for spares just in case. I bet they knew from day 1 from taking over that Apocalypse and Pandemonium was not in there short term plans and with Maelstrom been 20 years old this year I wonder if that will be the next thrill ride to leave the park.
I don’t think maelstrom will leave the park anytime soon or stormforce 10, air race and shockwave. They still need some thrill rides for the family thrill market.

Just had the email for the exclusive Annual Pass event to preview Vikings. 18th June 10.30-11.30 but you need to register for your place first come first serve on the form in the link in the email. It also says the area will be open to hotel guests at this time. So not that exclusive.

I don’t think maelstrom will leave the park anytime soon or stormforce 10, air race and shockwave. They still need some thrill rides for the family thrill market.
I didn’t say it was going soon just said it’s more than likely it will be the next thrill ride to go next. It may not go for another 10 years with Air race the next youngest at 8 years.
What life cycles mad houses have as the haunting is 30 years old in 4 years and u seen the problems Alton Towers is having with Hex.
I also said I will be able to attend next Saturday. They said they will email me back on Wednesday if im 1 of the lucky 1’s been selected.

Shockwave is showing its age, but hopefully it'll be safe for a few years. If they were to replace it, they'd presumably have to close the rapids for a year, which wouldn't be ideal having just spent a load of money on it.
It will be removed in the closed season and maybe keep the building to they ready to remove the rapids as no other coaster can replace it.
A good read about when Shockwave was 10 years old if u not read it before

It will be removed in the closed season and maybe keep the building to they ready to remove the rapids as no other coaster can replace it.
A good read about when Shockwave was 10 years old if u not read it before
Given that they refurbished and reopened the Rapids not long ago when they could've closed them completely, it's not going anywhere soon! Plus Shockwave's station got a repaint as part of the Rapids refurb. If Shockwave eventually had to go, I could see its station being retained and reused for something new, like Efteling did with their old Bob (now a duelling powered coaster).
Although given that Shockwave's track and supports are arguably under less stress than both Nemesis and Big one's, I can see it staying for a good few years yet.

Last edited: