• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Drayton Manor Park

Even under less stress, it has been exposed to the elements, so it will need work at some point. Probably, less work than the others due to it bring run less like has been mentioned. But even a ride that is not used as much, cannot overcome chemistry and physics.

I can see a refurbishment being more likely than removal though to be fair, a switch from my view a few months ago. Pure speculation on my part, just my personal opinion, probably influenced by my personal bias.

Changing the subject a bit, Storm Force 10 is without a doubt much wetter than it used to be, specifically on the backwards drop. Has anyone else noticed this? This is the first time I have rode it in a good few years and the first time after the year it was closed.

They have done something to that reverse drop for sure. Pretty sure they are running the troughs with a bit more water in.

Changing the subject a bit, Storm Force 10 is without a doubt much wetter than it used to be, specifically on the backwards drop. Has anyone else noticed this? This is the first time I have rode it in a good few years and the first time after the year it was closed.

They have done something to that reverse drop for sure. Pretty sure they are running the troughs with a bit more water in.
I wouldn’t know, as I never rode it before yesterday, but for what it’s worth, that backwards drop got me pretty drenched! And I was in the middle of the second row, so not even on an extreme end of the boat (where you might expect to get wetter), and the boat only had me in it (thus likely generating a lesser splash than if the boat was full)! In spite of all those confounding factors, the second drop was still a complete and utter drencher!

The first and third drops weren’t too bad wetness-wise (a little wet for sure, but not too overbearing), but the second one was a proper drencher; going on SF10 in cloudy weather yesterday was possibly a mistake, as it took me a few hours to fully dry out…

I haven’t ridden stormforce in some years due to the kids not being tall enough for it, but I always remember getting absolutely drenched on that second drop. Crazy that you get even more drenched on it now.

I think it's just down to luck, I visited late 2020 went on storm force 10 just around noon and came off pretty dry, then did it last thing before leaving and got a soaking off the backwards drop. I wasn't best pleased.

Given that they refurbished and reopened the Rapids not long ago when they could've closed them completely, it's not going anywhere soon! Plus Shockwave's station got a repaint as part of the Rapids refurb. If Shockwave eventually had to go, I could see its station being retained and reused for something new, like Efteling did with their old Bob (now a duelling powered coaster).
Although given that Shockwave's track and supports are arguably under less stress than both Nemesis and Big one's, I can see it staying for a good few years yet.
I said it will be removed during the winter months like G-Force was. I was just replying to someone message as they asked if the rapids will be closed for 1 season while the ride was removed. After Apocalypse is removed no other rides will be removed with maybe the pirate adventure or Thomas land Getting a few more rides as Thomas land as long as the looping group renew the contract will always be the main area of the park.
A coaster still going strong at 34 years old is Wipeout at Pleasure wood hills.

I don't know about how it is comparatively as little lad only just hit 1.30 for this season, we've ridden it plenty since.

One thing that is noticeable though on the backwards drop it really does make a difference if you've got a couple of big units sat behind you!! It's also the one part of the ride where you need some kind of hood, if not the water floods down your back.....euuurrrghhhh!

I do wish that they had a vaccum for in the boats though in between cycles though, its the water sloshing inside that's the only real downside of this ride.

A little of topic of stormforce 10 but , what’s everyone hopes and predictions for the 2024 development where apocalypse and pandemonium were and if you think it will be a new coaster then what coaster would you like to see. Personally a mack extreme spinner would be amazing and could just have 1 or 2 inversions to fit the family thrill market. The height restriction would be 1.3 but if they could lower it down to 1.2 with some different restrains it would be perfect!

SF10's backward drop was a complete soaker from its first season.
Wetter than the other two put together.
Not been in a decade now, and with the loss of grown up rides, I probably won't be back sadly.
In Drayton Manor’s 32 years since they went from a Amusement park to a theme park they always have only had a couple of 1.4m tall rides. I don’t know when Pandemonium height requirement was raised but in 2006 I took my Niece on it when she was 7 and she was just over 1.2m tall and I think Maelstrom may have been 1.2m when it opened. Since 2017 a lot of rides at the park over the years have had there height requirements increased with a minimum age now to go on the water rides or ride the trains on your own.
I think what ever coaster they decide to bring to the park in 2024 will need to be 1.2/1.3m height requirement to ride to make up for the lost of Pandemonium, Apocalypse and the big wheel.
Was thinking in the Past 5 years the park added/ rethemed rides.
2017 James and the red Balloon
2018 Ice Age 4D, Sheriff Showdown, Stormforce 10 reopened
2021 Thomas 4D, Wave swinger, play ground, rapids upgraded and the Haunting reopened.
2022 Thor, Loki and Sleipnir and Jormungandr
Removed or temporary closed
2017 Big wheel, cable car and the rapids SNBO, Stormforce 10 SBNO.
2018 Yogi Bear 4D removed
2019 G force SBNO
2020 G force removed, ice age 4D closed, the Haunting SNBO, Dodgems SBNO
2021 Pandemonium
2022 Apocalypse

So new rides/attractions added 9 with 7 rides/attractions removed in 5 years.

Last edited:
A little of topic of stormforce 10 but , what’s everyone hopes and predictions for the 2024 development where apocalypse and pandemonium were and if you think it will be a new coaster then what coaster would you like to see. Personally a mack extreme spinner would be amazing and could just have 1 or 2 inversions to fit the family thrill market. The height restriction would be 1.3 but if they could lower it down to 1.2 with some different restrains it would be perfect!

Batman Clone

I also forgot to add when I was at the park on the 28th May.
BA13A986-B11B-45A3-9827-B3B87C80C75F.png
I looked out the back door of the dodgems and can understand now why you started the ride at the top of the building and then dropped down as underneath is maintenance which is still used today so unless they build theses in a different area of the park they restricted to what they can do to the pirate adventure building. Also I be going again tomorrow so will look again but Polly was partly open at the front of the pirate adventure building and the parrot looked like it was missing.

The Haunting And Polperro Express maybe having staff training as I know they do a few runs of the ride without guests. Thats why sometimes u see 2 members of staff checking your seat. Stormforce 10 could be down to the queues not that big at the start of the day and I guess it’s not a cheap ride to run and Terence driving school would be down to many guests don’t go over to the farm section of Thomas land to around lunch time.

Terrance's driving school has never operated properly with out being closed after the flood (possibly up to damage caused) but then after all of the lockdown restrictions were lifted last July and didnt really re-open until the beginning of this season i do honestly wonder what had gone on with it between July 2021 and march 2022

Terrance's driving school has never operated properly with out being closed after the flood (possibly up to damage caused) but then after all of the lockdown restrictions were lifted last July and didnt really re-open until the beginning of this season i do honestly wonder what had gone on with it between July 2021 and march 2022
It’s had all new fencing and was half repainted when my daughter went on it 2 weeks ago and it had a bit of a queue. Just needs better theming as it’s no where as good as it was themed when it was in Thomas land and now the former area is such a mess now after they started ground work on that Kids tea cup ride and then the flood and lockdown hit and it’s been a dumping ground since.

Look how small it was and how many they used compared to today.

Last edited:
No, Storm Force 10 is much wetter now than it used to be. You only ever used to get a soaking on the back row on the backwards drop. The other rows and especially the front used to get off relatively well.

You now get almost as wet on the front as you do on the back. It never used to throw water on the front of the boat like it does now in the backwards drop. I've rode the ride since 1999, just this year was the first year since the refurb I've rode it.

It is not like you get a small bit wetter now than you used to, you get much wetter, especially on the front.

I have noticed the configuration of the water level control holes have been re configured from what they used to be. Which are basically multiple circle holes in the concrete trough near drops. The first two drops have them and the configuration of how many are open is now changed from what it used to be pre refurb. This will directly impact the water levels. The whole ride had new sensors fitted throughout, so more than likely they had to re conffigure the levels to ensure the new sensors were triggering properly. The level has only changed slightly, but it is enough to make the ride even wetter on that backwards drop

Just ride it, the thing never used to soak you like it does now. I've rode the ride hundreds of times since 1999. It has changed. It is no luck, no matter where you sit and no matter how full the boat is, you will now get soaked. Period.

As for Pirate Adventure, I would have thought it is more the case of they used the spare space under the drop area as maintenance space. Rather than building it up high to go over a maintenance space, if that makes sense. You start up high because they wanted to put a drop in the ride, exactly like the Disney ride it was based off, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Just queuing for Apocalypse now. Looks so sad seeing it with just chute 2 working. One slight hope is chute 5 is still in lowered position so not stored away like on long closed 1, 3 and 4 so hopefully it may reopen before end of season. I really hope so. Seeing such an iconic ride looking so unloved makes me so sad. Also it has quite a big queue today. Outside the building.

Last edited: