• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Driving 'Altonia'

benvincer

TS Founding Member
Hello,

A bit of background on me - I model for Microsoft Train Simulator and have done now for 6 years creating a variety of miniature gauge and narrow gauge models. It is a relatively old simulator and several new ones have appeared on the market, however I still prefer working with MSTS. I have recently been working on a model of the former Alton Towers locomotive 'Altonia' which is currently resident on the Old Kiln Light Railway.

nhad.jpg

The current state of my work.

Thanks,

Ben

Great work! It's always good to see things from the past being brought to the present through the power of technology?

Do you have any plans for any other theme park related material? :)

I did start a 'Rio' as seen at places such as Paultons and Lightwater - however they are very difficult to obtain drawings for as the commercial companies are less willing to release them. Similar with the Thorpe Park Railway - the locos there are Severn Lamb 'Jupiters' if I remember correctly but obtaining plans is very difficult direct from SL. I did email Thorpe Park and asked to arrange a visit, but never heard back. Similar with the Old Kiln Light Railway to collect images and picture of the Alton Towers coaches to match 'Altonia'. Shame really.

I have already released a model of the Disneyland Railroad's E.P Ripley if that is any interest.

u8e8ebah.jpg

Ben

mrlx.jpg

'Altonia' visits the Ffestiniog Railway.

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone have any images of the coaches of the AT railway? I have the book by Peter Scott, but I am looking for some more 'close up' pictures as I can't seem to contact the Old Kiln Railway?

Ben

I've found a few on the internet. Credit to original sources.

2954709761_b755095a83.jpg

alton-towers-railway-2-1989.jpg

trainpostcards.jpg

There are some more here

They're the best photos that I could find.

Thanks both,

Andrew, the pictures you show are the same as the ones in the AT book by Peter Scott, I am really looking for some side and front profiles (a long shot I know!).

I will try and contact the OKLR again.

Thanks,

Ben