• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Duel: The Haunted House Actually Strikes Back - Refurb Incoming

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
In an interesting development, John Burton (creative lead for Resort Theme Parks) posted this on Twitter yesterday:

Could this be a further hint towards the ride returning to its roots somewhat?

I reckon it could be a hint to that Matt. The very early stages of this are I have to say very well done. Great intrigue, mystery and baiting... Just hope it's not not a bait and switch.

Where actually is this sign? Is it somewhere in the vestibule or queue line?
It looks as though it's in the vestibule somewhere, as you can just about see that big window in the background on the left, but I can't confirm that for certain... has anyone been on park today?

This should be such a no brainer for them to get right. Update some of the scenes to bring it into the present day, add some great lighting and create a fantastic soundtrack and you've got a world class dark ride again.

Please don't mess it up AT.
Just bring back Graham Smarts score IMO. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
In an interesting development, John Burton (creative lead for Resort Theme Parks) posted this on Twitter yesterday:

Could this be a further hint towards the ride returning to its roots somewhat?

Could he be hinting to this fella here with the eye at the end of his tweet?

Attachments

• 54ee1c83968993da3c786b0f0c1964cf.jpg
    54ee1c83968993da3c786b0f0c1964cf.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 22
I don't know what John Burton is hinting towards, but personally, I don't think it will be an out and out revival of the previous HH. I think it will be a new attraction simply using a similar base concept and possibly paying homage in some subtle ways.

I don't see it being a flat-out HH revival, and to be honest, I hope it isn't, myself. I think that massive building and ride system have a lot more potential than that, particularly with 30 years of technology advancement on the development team's side.

Soundtrack-wise; I actually wouldn't be averse to them keeping the current Simon Allen track playing outside the ride in Gloomy Wood, but I'd love a new IMAScore soundtrack for the rethemed ride itself! I think they'd do a great job!

Last edited:
Duel doesn't just need thematic and AV improvements.

The ride system needs modernisation badly.

Won't somebody call Roland.

Sorry, Christian.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Would Mack still support Duel's current ride system? They don't appear to sell a similar product anymore (I only see "Endless Transit System" and "4-person single car" on their dark rides page), and it's 30 years old.

Well, as long as it's not a Valhalla debacle delay then I'm fine though I do worry that with Duel down, the ride line up towards the end of the year will look pretty bad.

That is unless Hex does return which I do suspect if Duel is down then Hex can take it's place for now? Having Hex ready for SF would be nice though I'm clutching at straws and trying to play Nostradamus of what might happen.

Then again, wonder of this HH return could be a sequel to the original ride which ignores the continuity of Duel much like what happened Space Mountain Mission 2 at DLP though the latter on that version was pretty crappy compared to the original ride. Let us hope we don't get a Mission 2 with Duel though you could argue that was already the case with Duel (how that term 'doing a Mission 2' has not been adopted by coaster enthusiasts for poor updated versions of existing rides I'll never know).

I hope the refresh/re theme will put it in line with quality of Hex. It would be great to have two high quality dark rides on park, as we all know Hex is fantastic when it’s open. Don’t get me wrong, I actually do like Gangsta Granny and often ride it on my visits, but the theme/ quality of Hex/hopefully Duel refurb is a lot more up my street.

Would Mack still support Duel's current ride system? They don't appear to sell a similar product anymore (I only see "Endless Transit System" and "4-person single car" on their dark rides page), and it's 30 years old.
Mack will always support their rides, old or new.

The ride system at AT was always rare - I'm only aware of 1 other example of it.

Highly bespoke for Alton Towers'needs.

Mack will always support their rides, old or new.

The ride system at AT was always rare - I'm only aware of 1 other example of it.

Highly bespoke for Alton Towers'needs.

Do you reckon Mack would still build one like it if asked to?

Agree with Matt N... New concept that pays tribute to The Original Haunted House in subtle ways, taking advantage of the improvements in technology since and with the same level of creativity and imagination as the original.

What I don't want... A ride that simply moves 10 yards then stops constantly to watch a never ending street of glorified TV's... Please God no...

This seems to happen a lot recently...

Agree with Matt N... New concept that pays tribute to The Original Haunted House in subtle ways, taking advantage of the improvements in technology since and with the same level of creativity and imagination as the original.

What I don't want... A ride that simply moves 10 yards then stops constantly to watch a never ending street of glorified TV's... Please God no...

This seems to happen a lot recently...
I can't see that happening because of how long the ride system actually is so I don't think you'll have a worry there. Gangsta Granny (i assume you're referring to that) does because of how short the overall layout is.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.