• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Duel: The Haunted House Actually Strikes Back - Refurb Incoming

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I find it interesting that it's previous incarnation (the Haunted House) lasted for just 10 years, but Duel has lasted for nearly 20. :eek:
It really is overdue a refurb or upgrade. Wish they'd fix the Trommel too. :p
I'd argue it's only lasted 20 years almost because they can't be bothered to give it a refurb. I'm not counting the touch-ups from the other year as arguably that just made things worse, as the change to UV lighting made the mechanics visible, particularly the screaming heads.

Fixing the trommel isn’t an easy job I believe the drum is warped and the whole thing would need to be rebuilt. I’d like to think some work has taken place during the lockdown periods with no public in there but I doubt it and expect to find it in the same state as when it was left in November 2019

I doubt they will get rid of it for at least another 10 years, it gets a steady stream of people throughout the day,

If they did I would like to see a Disney style haunted manor replace it but I think that is just a far fetched dream

the touch-ups from the other year as arguably that just made things worse, as the change to UV lighting made the mechanics visible
It was a change to LED UV, the only way those effects could work is with UV light to hide the mech. But the LED fixtures used weren't right (too much visible light so not a true UV effect).

Everyone forgets the strobe effects looked even worse the year before TLC, when the original UV strobes replaced by non-UV LEDs that flashed all over the place.

Other UV scenes like the zombie windows actually looked better before TLC because they put back flourescent UV bars for about 1 year, which had a true 'dark' look. Except the bars werent screened off properly so you could see them and everyone complained.

Seems like every time the ride is relit there's as many steps backwards as there are forwards, even though the lighting techniques were pretty simple to begin with

I find it interesting that it's previous incarnation (the Haunted House) lasted for just 10 years, but Duel has lasted for nearly 20. :eek:
It really is overdue a refurb or upgrade. Wish they'd fix the Trommel too. :p

The actually ride experience is still solid though, even with the guns. Haunted Mansion at Disney has been going 50 years, the Men in Black shooter ride at Universal is 20 years old. the ride concepts are strong, so there is no reason it should last longer, although it will need another refurb.

The actually ride experience is still solid though, even with the guns. Haunted Mansion at Disney has been going 50 years, the Men in Black shooter ride at Universal is 20 years old. the ride concepts are strong, so there is no reason it should last longer, although it will need another refurb.
Yeah I personally really like it (I'm a big fan of dark rides in general) and I always forget just how flipping big it is. The blasters do make my arm ache though, I start off strong but then have to put it down. :p

The trouble with British dark rides with lots of mechanics is in order to bring costs down, they are built into buildings with no HVAC systems. A stark difference to dark rides even on the continent.

These play a much larger role than just keeping the buildings a comfortable temperature for guests. They keep the buildings at a stable temp and humidity which in turn, helps prolong the life of the mechanical equipment, of which there is usually lots of.

The constant temperature cycles increases maintenance of things like fabrics and mechanical equipment.

The role that the Haunted House building has played in the development of Alton Towers history cannot be overstated. The 1992 investments really did move Alton Towers forwards from a park with some nicely themed individual attractions here and there to a park that was serious about becoming one of the top 5 parks in Europe by the turn of the 21st century.

There is no reason why Merlin couldn't inject some cash in the next few years in the ride, restoring it to former glories, re-marketing it and making it superb once again. The ride system needs a full PLC upgrade, which Mack could come in to do, and the scenes need thorough work and, in some cases, rebuilding. This would take £5m+ though.

I worry, though, that with the push to IPs, that the ride could be bulldozed by 2025 and replaced by something current. Of course, as with all IPs, so much budget goes on the rights - that it leaves much less for the actual ride. I would really hate to see the building and ride system removed.

I know what youre saying having done a bit with HVAC systems but in Duel's case this has almost nothing to do with the effects maintenance.

A fair few dark rides have proper HVAC systems these days

Not maintenance per say. But mechanical equipment, especially things like swinging and pneumatic stuff with bearings and the like can ware out quicker due to erratic temperature changes over time. So no, nothing to do with maintenance, but not having a stable temperature could lead to mechanical things needed more maintenance to keep them in tip top shape. If that makes any sense :)

The role that the Haunted House building has played in the development of Alton Towers history cannot be overstated. The 1992 investments really did move Alton Towers forwards
And most importantly, it was great fun stuff and so big!
A long time since we've seen a really great exciting project at the park now, that isn't a roller coaster with a bit of landscaping.

I do think the ride system could be replaced with a more dynamic one, doing basically the same thing as the current one but better. Other than that there's no need to drastically change the concept or the appeal. It could be great!

I'm surprised Duel hasn't been redone as Ghostbusters already to be honest, considering Merlin already have the IP in use elsewhere.

Not what I want to see, but I think ultimately the most likely outcome over the next few years. Unless they're planning on using it at Thorpe instead.

At least it's an IP with longevity, I guess.

I worry, though, that with the push to IPs, that the ride could be bulldozed by 2025 and replaced by something current.
Luckily, I think Merlin would be more likely to do the cheapest option which would be to slap an IP over the existing ride.

If they were planning to bulldoze the entire facade, well, that would be an unforgivable travesty. It should be a listed building at this point given it's significance in Alton Towers history.

The big advantage Duel has is it can be done slowly, in the closed week days, in closed season for minimal cost if they are smart. Take out the ride system refurb/upgrade for a minute and think on the scenes, it would be easy enough to work their way round. A whole retheme would require all the work immediately.

Bump!

With the ride system being 30 years old next year, could we expect an upgrade in the near future?

I personally don't think so - I can see it remaining as Duel for a while, as much as it might not be too popular on here, it is with families. To be fair as much as I hate that you can see the mechanisms, I do like this as it's one my whole family rides and enjoys.

It will either stay roughly as it is, or get ripped out completely and replaced only re-using the building.

I'd rather see a new building with a new dark ride, so the ride count increases, instead of ripping out another ride.

Keep the building, its the most beautifully well themed exterior to an indoor ride at Towers.
To think there's a huge backend to that building which is completely out of view is still amazing.
You will never see that kind of intricacy again.

Make it a whole haunted house refresh.

EDIT. typo

Duel will stay for a few years yet, the TLC on it and the minor updates to areas as well as the new bits in the queue suggest they are happy with it

I think we will be looking at 2027/28 before they start thinking about what can be done in the area again

Last edited:
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.