• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Education

There's certainly some very interesting points which have been raised in the last few posts.

Personally, I very much agree with Scott. For my A-Levels I took an Advanced Diploma in IT, Product Design, and Photography. I'd always wanted to take photography for GCSE, but I was beaten down with the whole "take something more worthwhile" argument. When I made the choices I was again often asked "Why are you taking photography? You've never done it before! It's useless! You'll get no where with it!". The thing is though, it was that choice which meant I totalled up enough UCAS points to get where I wanted in Uni! Funny that :p

GCSEs and A-Levels are important, don't get me wrong. But the whole "most important decisions of your life" thing is drastically blown out of proportion if you ask me, especially if you're considering moving through to the next level of education (I.E. GCSE to A-Level). At these times you are very much just making points and ticking boxes. You can always do like I did and pick something new up at a later point if you really want to do it. Especially if it's something which you do feel quite passionate and determined about.

The only time I'd say you are making a fairly large decision which can have an impact is University, and then the risk, in my opinion, is more financial. It's a big commitment, and it's worth thinking "Do I want to saddle myself with £10,000 odd debt for one year of Uni, to then drop out?". Now obviously, with fees rocketing it's perhaps more important than it used to be. However, you may again take the risk and find you love it! If you don't then you can still look at going into a job and paying off your loans that way. Remember that you don't pay back until you're earning over £21,000 if I remember rightly, and even then it comes out before you tend to see it (Can't miss what you don't have, and all that!).

As has also been said, education isn't for everyone. Personally, I doubt very much that I will do anything much higher than by current BSc, as I am starting to reach the point where education is becoming difficult (Probably also aided by working all through summer, which even though it was only low grade factory work, was incredibly fun. I absolutely loved it, and I'm pretty determined to try and get back again next year.), and I'm finding things like report writing pretty tedious.

Although it's often made out to be the opposite, there are plenty of decent jobs out there for those only with GCSEs who really just want to get out of education as quickly as possible and into work. That's fair enough! At the end of the day it's your choice, and your life to do what you please with it. That's my way of looking at these things anyway :)

WHOAH sorry just scrolled up, how can anyone consider Music a dossy subject?! *flabbergasted*

Like, Music is a strongly academic respected subject. (Not that photography and media studies and hairdressing etc aren't equally valid :))

So yeah I've got A*AB A levels (English lit, psychology and music. Don't talk about the B) and I'm currently working for a supermarket (but mainly for a theme park :p).

Definitely needed a break from education, and the thought of uni when I see everyone moaning about deadlines and workloads and stuff still makes me cringe a little.

One day, maybe :)

I should add to my previous post that I considered going back to college, but decided that getting a job and earning some money was more important. I may well go back into education at some point and try something different, but I'm currently unsure about that.

Your attitude and work ethic matter far more than your education. If you work hard enough, you will succeed.

I have come across many people in my time with degrees, general high education scores and numerous well fitting qualifications... yet they've been out of work for over two years.

At 26 years old, I'm working as an Employment Advisor, and have previously worked as an Assistant Advisor in Jobcentre Plus. My qualifications have never been a pre-requisite in either job because its recognised that your attitude, initiative and drive are more important.

As it is, I have 11 A-C grade GCSEs, 3 A levels & a BA Hons Law and Sociology (2:1) from the University of Derby.

My original plan, that I worked to throughout my entire education, was to go into the Police force. A diagnosis on my health in 2010 means this will never happen and I have to now forge another path through life. Education really isn't the be all and end all - plans change!

:)

Sent using Tapatalk

Many people take creative subjects as they want to experience something that's fun and that they're passionate about. Many musicians, photographers, and dancers and very intelligent people-Just look at Mozart and Beethoven! Just because someone takes a subject that doesn't seem to be 'worth-while' doesn't mean that it is.

I chose Business Studies and, although it is more academic that other options, I'm finding it incredibly tedious and boring. I wish that I had taken Graphics instead now, even if it doesn't really appear to help with my career aspirations. Like many others have said, taking subjects and GCSE and A Level does not necessarily affect what career you have-I know many people who have taken Music and other creative subjects but have ended up working in a business which has nothing to do with it. This isn't to say that they don't affect your career at all as it does depend on how you lead your life.

In other news, I've applied for two colleges/sixth forms in Widnes, studying English Language, English Literature, Maths, and Physics. I have a real passion for these subjects and I'm looking forward to studying them in more detail, that is, of course, if I get the required grades. :p

I can certainly agree with everything that everyone has said. I have a degree in Magazine Journalism, and yes, when I started it in 2010 I wanted to go into that profession.

During the last 3 years I have gone through numerous career changes, that I am now unsure of where I want to go. I am a indecisive person which doesn't help lol!

To be honest, it doesn't matter what you choose for GCSEs, A Levels/BTECs, Degrees etc. If there is a job that you enjoy or really want to do regardless of anything else then that is all that matters. One thing I have discovered that I never thought I would pursue is me working in the customer service industry - more so want to work in the travel/leisure industry hence I'm going to pursue this.

Basically, go with what you enjoy doing. As Saz has said, it is your attitude to jobs than what subjects you have studied in education. :)