• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

EFFIN FINALLY - Scandisoche Report (DONE)

Martin

TS Member
Scandinavia seems an odd place to find a successful amusement park, with 9 month long winters making half the region resemble something out of an Ice Age film and relatively small and sparse populations, and yet it is home to some of the most unique, and best, rides and parks in Europe, if not the world. Particularly in the last decade or so, there has been somewhat of a boom for the industry in this chilly part of the world, with a B&M floorless, Mack launch and several Intamins of various descriptions just some of the rides Scandinavian parks have added to their rosters in recent years, alongside more historical highlights such as a classic, one of a kind Schwarzkopf, a pre-war wooden coaster, and even a century old scenic railway. And now with a jaw dropping RMC opening this summer, it seemed the perfect time for some TSTers to fly over for a road trip.

Over an intense week we would visit four parks, over 20 rollercoasters, and take in some of the most incredible scenery anywhere in the world. Starting at Tusenfryd a short drive from Oslo in Norway, we would journey south across the border to Gothenburg and Liseberg, already a firm favourite amongst many enthusiasts, and then east to Kolmarden Zoo, before finishing up in the beautiful city of Stockholm and the improbable Grona Lund. Every park in the trip left a lasting impression, not only because of the rides, but because of how well presented and looked after they were, and because of the absolutely brilliant way we were treated, every park went above and beyond to welcome us and before going any further I would like to thank them for that, as well as thanking (BigAl)ex Machin for his massive efforts organising everything, (or at least most things, but more on that later... ;) )

What made this trip doubly interesting on a personal level is not only would these parks be my first foreign parks outside Disneyland Paris - The Averagest Place On Earth (tm), the only thing resembling a modern wooden coaster I had been on before was Antelope at Gulliver's World, and each park on our itinerary featured one. Each one unique and very different from the last. What would I think of them, and how would they compare to the ancient woodies of Blackpool Pleasure Beach, my only real experience of wood until now?

DAY 1+2: "I can see your nipples!"
Departing from Manchester, we landed at the soon to be closed Rygge airport and made the short journey via minibus to our accommodation for the first night, the aptly named and very nice Moss Hotel in the pleasant town of, erm, Moss, about an hour from Oslo, where we made the quite disorientating discovery that in summer, it never really gets dark in this part of the world; 2am in Norway in July looks a lot like 9pm in England in July.

28849009981_60f8545ee4_o.jpg

Next morning, our minibus returned to take us to Tusenfryd, a relatively small park in a breathtaking location and proud owners of some rather interesting rides. How many other parks can boast of a dark ride in an actual cave in the side of a mountain? Without wishing to put down the park, it's safe to say this was the park that for myself and others was the least exciting, this isn't the park's fault of course, it can't help that awaiting us later in the trip was a brand new RMC and a Mack launch regarded as arguably the best coaster in the world, but what Tusenfryd punched well above its weight and was so much more than just a warm up act, holding its own against the other parks on the trip, even if it lacks a headline ride on the same scale as Helix and Wildfire.

Tusenfryd is located in the Norwegian countryside, so although being beautiful, it's also very hilly, so be prepared. A good portion of the park is at the bottom of a very steep path and the entrance, taking a leaf out of Liseberg's book, is up an escalator, providing one of the best entrances to any park in the world, as the first two inversions and airtime hill of the park's intamin launch coaster Speed Monster wrap around it. Food is very good and well priced and the park is very clean, it's clear that management take a lot of pride in the park despite their limited resources. If only parks in Britain felt the same. The park also did their very best to welcome us so I would like to once again thank them for their efforts.

On a blisteringly warm day which set the tone for the rest of the trip, we were grateful for the three water rides on offer. While the traditional flume ride was disappointing, the Mack SuperSplash, despite being a "Poundshop ASS" and making a comical noise every time a boat went through the dip after the lift, was enjoyable and I look forward to riding its bigger cousin at Europa. However, the new rapids ride, Ragnarok, was excellent. Taking the European approach of opening before it's finished, it will only improve, but the theming that is there is a great start and the ride itself is very good; it's varied, fun, you don't get too wet and the drop even has airtime, genuine airtime, on a rapids, amazing.

On the coaster front, Tusenfryd is home to Speed Monster; an Intamin Rocket built during the Scramble For Accelerators that took place in the mid 2000s, Thundercoaster; one of only three Vekoma wooden coasters, and Loopen, an extremely rare Vekoma MK-1200 Whirlwind. There is also Western Expressen, a Vekoma rollerskater and a children's coaster that consists of nothing more than an oval. It's a decent line up, certainly it compares favourably against the British parks it'd be competing against if it was here.

Speed Monster is not the fastest Intamin out there, and although it's only about 10mph slower than Rita and takes a similar time to reach its top speed, the launch is noticeably unnoticeable. The opening element, the first 'Norwegian loop' however, is anything but, a really great double inversion made better by its location. The following dive down the side of a hill is sadly much smaller and weaker than it seemed in videos, but the airtime hill through the Norwegian loop makes up for it. The following two s-hills have some airtime, but the biggest thrill they provide is from the squeak the trains make traversing them. The corkscrew inversion provides a strong finale and a final sharp turn into the brakes ensures the ride ends on a high. While not a bad ride, it could do with being more forceful, and perhaps it would have been better to break up the two s-hills by putting the third inversion between them, but for a fairly small park it's a great addition to the line up and visually it's stunning.

Next door to Speed Monster is Loopen, a cute little old Vekoma with a curved station and two inversions. As usual with these things, the cars and restraints are uncomfortable, but surprisingly the ride itself is pretty smooth except comically violent bumps either side of the second inversion. As a nerd, it's always good to hear the old Corkscrew lift hill noise too. If you've seen the POV posted by CF a few years ago, you'll notice the Nicki Minaj song 'Starships' playing loudly in the station, audible on the video for most of the ride. The same song came on just before my only ride on Loopen, giving a weird sense of de ja vu. :p

Thundercoaster is, in my opinion, the best coaster at Tusenfryd, but this is not an opinion shared by the group. It's loud, it's rough, it throws you around and smells of burning, yet despite this (or because of this), it's nothing but fun. On a technical level, it's not great, there's a few points that could have been designed better, and it's far from comfortable, but that doesn't at all take away from the ride. From the very steep first air hill to the bunny hops at the end, there's constant airtime, and despite the pain, it made me laugh all the way around. It's not for everyone, but I really enjoyed it. We only had time for one re-ride at Tusenfryd, and although I'd have liked another go on Speed Monster, I definitely made the right decision to go back on this. That said, an RMC conversion of this could be mind blowing.

Dark ride Thor's Hammer is literally built inside a cave carved out of a cliff, and despite the heat outside, we were able to walk on with practically no queue. While the transit system and physical theming are excellent, the ride over relies heavily on 3D screens to tell the story, and I didn't think much of the ending. It's a decent dark ride but nothing special, but obviously a park like this isn't going to be able to open a Forbidden Journey so it has to be judged with that in mind, and they did well with what they had. Not being able to speak Norwegian and not having much knowledge of Norse mythology didn't help either, which is my fault, not the ride's. Of course, many bonus points are won for the location too.

There are a few other rides on offer, most notably Spin Spider, a Zamperla giant swing, and by god do they mean giant, swinging up to a terrifying 180 feet, the same height as Oblivion's drop. It took a while to get going, but once it did, it was absolutely incredible.

If I had one complaint about Tusenfryd, it would have to be that operations are often pretty slow. Queues were pretty small all day so it didn't really exactly ruin anything, but it could be improved, an extra staff member on some of the rides would make a huge difference. Apart from that though I was very impressed with the park.

While it's not a place to travel all that way for on its own, it was an excellent way to start the trip and if you're considering a similar trip to this or find yourself in this part of the world (and I hope one day you do) in some other capacity, it's well worth looking into.

DAY 3: "Are my full beams on?"
Leaving the surprisingly delightful Tusenfryd, one last, long drive in the TowersStreet partybus took us across the border into Sweden and to our boxes, or as their owner would prefer me to call them, our hotel rooms, for the night. After an arduous morning discovering the Swedish really love putting yogurt on cereal, it was thankfully only a short walk to collect the hire cars that would provide our transport for the majority of the remainder of the trip, followed by a short drive to today's destination, arguably Scandinavia's biggest, most well known amusement park, the incredible Liseberg.

Built on a hill in the middle of Gothenburg, it's at first shocking to a British guest that a park could exist like this, but really, it makes more sense than building them on the grounds of a manor out in the sticks. Even better is that Liseberg is owned by the city council. Remember that next time local elections roll around. Steadily building over nearly a century, 'Lisa's Mountain' (Is that not the sweetest name for an amusement park ever) has assembled not only an interesting history, but also very impressive collection of rides and coasters. You could spend days here and not get bored, there's plenty for everyone. Not only that, but the park looks great, and as usual out there, is very well ran and very well looked after by staff who clearly really care. There seems to be separate 'sections' of the park that feel very different but they all come together very well, they all feel great and they add up to, spoiler alert, what is my favourite park so far (roll on Phantasia and Europa later this year).

We were extremely lucky and thankful to receive behind the scenes tours of coasters Helix and Lisebergbanan, an absolute delight that I can't thank the park enough for. Loved the Helix operator's control throne - want operating your new rollercoaster to feel like operating the Death Star? Buy a Mack. An unbelievable start which set the tone for the rest of the day. Thank you Liseberg.

Liseberg is a park I've wanted to go for many years, I remember falling in love with Lisebergbanan after coming across a POV of it ages and ages ago, and Balder also being there made it an even more enticing proposition. The addition of Helix two years ago made Liseberg a must-visit and I'm delighted I finally managed it. I mean, if you're reading this and the thought of a terrain hugging, multi-launching, multi-inverting, multi-airtiming Mack doesn't interest you, chances are you're reading this by mistake.

With the amount of rides on offer this would be a very boring report if I talked about all of them, so I'll go through my highlights and talk about the coasters a bit more, because that's what most people will be interested in.

The big flats are all worth going on, Mechanica, the giant Star Shape is a beast and the S&S swing is of course a massive 'Rush' (not sorry). The new flat, AeroSpin, I didn't think much of unfortunately as while the views are great I couldn't get my seat to invert, a lot of effort for very little. The Zamperla Discovery, Spin Rock was great fun of course, but nothing compares to Jukebox, the unassuming Polyp is possibly the most fun ride I've ever been on. Högspänningen is the same type of ride as Windy Castle at Paultons, a 'kids' ride that those who attended South meet will remember reduced me to lying on my back. Fortunately there wasn't a repeat of that this time but these rides are great fun if you get them up to speed. And last but not least of course, there is Atmosphere. Atmosphere is mess your pants scary going up, but the drop really is surprisingly gentle, so even if you're not a fan of drop towers normally, it's an experience not to be missed.

A highlight of Liseberg for me was the rapids ride, not only is it well themed, I loved how it starts slow and soft and gets progressively faster and more intense, introducing more and more elements as it goes on. Probably my favourite rapids ride. The flume ride is also good, and very unique. After reaching the top up the hill and passing through Lisebergbanan there is a drop, followed immediately by a tiny drop, before a final big drop back down to the ground, very good fun.

Gasten Ghost Hotel is a top class scare maze. I really don't like the rule about going through in a conga line, but unlike the boring Terror Of The Towers, it didn't ruin the experience because everything about this attraction is so well done, the sinking room is an absolute masterpiece. Make sure not to miss the bar/restaurant by the exit, great service, great food, really well themed, 'interactivity' and offers a stunning vista of the hill and the rides on it.

Balder
Balder was interesting for me, as Intamin's approach to this wooden coaster was exactly the opposite of Vekoma's approach to Thunder Coaster the day before. Balder seeks to be a much more refined, engineered coaster, but would that make it better than the raw, more traditional Thunder Coaster? In a word, no. Although Balder has its highlights with its many headchoppers, stunning first drop and sometimes outrageous airtime, everything between is just so much of a non-event. Massive dead spots lead to corners that are far too wide and overly banked, making them absolutely, unforgivably boring. One or two slower turns to help pacing or if the ride was rough to give a breather, but every turn being this soft, on a ride this smooth and with such powerful hills? It's so stupid. I'm not convinced a wooden coaster should be velvet smooth either. Unbank the turns so there's some good old fashioned laterals and this would be an amazing coaster, but as it is, it's just a very good one at most. A shame.

Helix
Ohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygodohmygod

28905159116_1788d837c2_k.jpg

Kanonen
Kanonen is sooo cute. It's a tiny Intamin accelerator that also opened during the boom these coasters enjoyed in the mid 00's, but what makes this one unique is how small it is, pretty much the whole ride is squeezed on top of a toilet block, with the exception of a cute little attempt at a top hat that the trains barely navigate. This is followed by a loop so tight you really won't want to put your head forward in the front rows of any car that isn't the front. The rest of the layout is compact and fun, the only negative being the ending barrel roll, thanks to the godawful Intamin restraints. I seem to remember the launch actually being more forceful than Speed Monster, despite being slower, and although not a favourite ride, I did rather enjoy Kanonen.

Lisebergbanan
Lisebergbananananananarama has an interesting history. After demolishing their old scenic railway after discovering it was literally sinking into the ground, the park sought out a new coaster, and after already settling on a design, the legendary Anton Schwarzkopf walked up to the manager's office with some blue prints, declared his plan his best ever ride, and Lisebergbanan was born. After waiting years to ride this I had a lot of expectations and the ride did not let me down. It's easily one of the most fun rollercoasters I've ever been on. The part near the start where it whips up and around the play area is surprisingly fast, the triple drops and great fun, the airtime hill is actually brilliant, love the helix near the end, and of course, the highlight of the whole thing being BROMS! Start to finish a perfect family coaster even after all these years.

There's been a lot written about Liseberg on here as it's already a favourite with a lot of people, including Rob's excellent practially PhD worthy effort on Helix, so there sadly isn't much I can add beyond my own opinions on the rides and the feel of the place. Sadly we didn't get to stick around for the religious experience that is supposedly Helix at night but I will return one day soon. I arrived expecting a great park with great rides and that is exactly what I found, and I left with a new number one coaster. An absolutely brilliant day.

Leaving that night, my first proper driving experience on the wrong side was faintly terrifying with a sat nav that thought I was somewhere off road being eaten by wolves, but fortunately we eventually made it too our much roomier hotel without any moose strikes, ready to rest before finishing the long drive to the reason behind this trip, Kolmarden Zoo and their much anticipated new RMC behemoth Wildfire, but with rumours rife that evening that RMC had ordered it closed, would we even get to ride?

Find out next time...

TBC

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread, but if anyone was wanting to see a little video of any of the parks that are, and will be written about above, I made a little compilation of what I shot on the trip here:

Been a while, hasn't it?

Lots more pictures and in full quality here https://www.flickr.com/gp/145953536@N07/8P4gQR

DAY 4: COOLmarden Zoo
We pick up the story on day 4 of the trip, bright and early once again to finish the long drive to Kolmarden, another 2 hours from our rest stop, even at Martin speed. Fortunately, the scenery on the way is fantastic, driving alongside one of the biggest lakes in Europe and later besides Braviken Bay, where our destination awaits.

After a hectic two days, we were all hoping for, and expecting, a much easier and more relaxing day, but we were wrong. Oh so wrong. Kolmarden is hilly. Very hilly. It is located on the side of a hill that is definitely the biggest hill in the world, and coupled with the heat, this made for a very physically demanding day. It didn't help that the sunburn I acquired at Tusenfryd prompted me to dress for much cooler weather to protect my arms, which were now the same colour as the old Nemesis waterfalls (RIP). However, what Kolmarden lacks in being easy to walk around on a hot day, it more than makes up for in views. The vistas it offers of the bay from various points are amazing, and of course, the ones from Wildfire are even better.

28653242510_53c63967a4_k.jpg

Kolmarden is of course, first and foremost, a zoo, but as of this summer it is also home to Wildfire, a massive RMC wooden coaster that surely ranks as one of the most improbable coasters ever built, and alongside Helix, one of the two big draws of the trip, and probably why you're reading this. Unless you're here for a review of red pandas in which case buy have I got a treat for you, although I hope you find your way back to RedPandaStreetDotCom soon. Although Kolmarden has strong financial backing with experience in the industry (owned by the same people who own Grona Lund and Skara Sommarland), the lack of any notable amusement rides at Kolmarden previously and the location not only of the place itself but the exact position they decided to build the second tallest, second fastest, most inverting wooden coaster in the world, makes the existence of the ride of the most unpredictable, if not downright crazy developments in the industry in a while. Imagine if in 1994, not Alton Towers, but Chester Zoo opened Nemesis, and you'd be on the right lines.

Even more mind bending than its simple existence though, is the first time you see it. Situated at the back of the park at its highest point, it's quite a trek making your way up to it, but once it finally appears through the trees, you'll find your second wind. The huge metal support structure which holds it high above the rocky, uneven terrain is a fantastic piece of engineering, and almost creates the impression that the drop is floating in mid air, and the drop, only 5 degrees shallower than Oblivion's, has to be seen to truly be appreciated. There isn't much theming around Wildfire, but that's not the point and it doesn't need it anyway. Queues were very short all day, so it wasn't long before we were on board for our first ride. For myself and plenty others, this was my first RMC, and I could not wait to see what the hype was about, having looked on enviously at America for the last few years at them popping out new builds and conversions like there's no tomorrow. They all looked amazing and Wildfire looked like it could be the best of them, I hadn't been this excited for a new ride since, well, Helix the day before, but it was that kind of trip.

28938274975_5feb559ee9_k.jpg

It's a long climb, but this is what greets you at the top.

At the top of the hill, there is a turnaround and a little rise which brings you to face the bay as you plunge down to the ground at a ridiculous angle, ducking under the ride structure, turning right and pulling up into the first inversion, RMC's signature inverted hill, which holds you almost perfectly weightless upside down, your outstretched hands inches away from the element's own supports, it's like nothing I've ever experienced, and the comfortable seats and restraints caused no issues here. Pulling out to the left and climbing again, you're offered another great view of Braviken, this time sideways, as the ride flips you into a 90 degree stall, and once more switches to the left, flying through a barn, and into a series of direction changes, airtime hills and overbanks, including one of my favourite parts of the ride, where it quickly banks left to right with a pop of airtime, while travelling under the supports. Then comes the second inversion, a corkscrew off the side of the hill, offering a third view of the bay, fully inverted now. A sharp but deceivingly short twisting drop follows, before climbing under the lift and diving to the right, in an element not to dissimilar from one seen on some B&Ms, only this time following the terrain, and as it comes back around, it throws you into the third, final inversion, a fast, violent yet perfectly formed barrel roll that serves as the ride's climax. After all this, a final rising turn to the right leads into a drop and the concluding slalom into the breaks. If I must be completely honest, the turn towards the end does slow it down and leave the remainder of the ride feeling lacking compared to what came before, but I don't think it's as noticeable as Danny talks about in his excellent review. That's not to say it couldn't be improved, perhaps a final, fourth inversion after the slalom, a second barrel roll, leading straight into the breaks, Helix style, would be the perfect cherry on top, but I expect the geography here would get in the way. The ride warmed up and became faster throughout the day, and it's worth noting the ride only opened about a week before our trip, so no doubt once it has bedded in, the final section will improve.

28834813192_c61a36445a_k.jpg

Getting up close and personal with Wildfire's 2nd inversion

Small gripe with the ending aside, Wildfire is an incredible coaster. With a slightly better ending it may or may not have even became my new number 1, but as it is, it just misses out to Helix, but is comfortably now my number one wooden coaster by some margin, at least for the next few months *looks longingly towards Wodan*.

Next to Wildfire is a sort of discount Sea World sort of area, complete with the fun Vekoma family coaster Delfin Expressen, and a swinging ship flat that hilariously has the same height restriction as Wildfire. It's a nice place to be and offers great views of Wildfire. There is also a well done children's themed area with some rides and a small rollercoaster that I didn't bother with, but apparently is nice. That's all there is for rides, so obviously there were many rerides of Wildfire through the day, but there is so much more to Kolmarden than this. Besides the zoo itself, there is a massive sky ride safari that takes you way out from the guest areas of the zoo, over larger enclosures with many different animals to see, and an audio guide that can be set to English. Not only do you get to see the animals, but it also gives more incredible views of Wildfire and the bay over its several kilometre journey.

28320546824_269fa8ea60_k.jpg

A picture says 1000 words. In this picture, most of those words are "OH MY GOD"

28652470770_efe292b383_k.jpg

The rest of the zoo is great, very clean and well presented, nicely spread out and very pretty nestled within the forest. The enclosures are well designed and the tiger area even has theme park quality theming. The animals looked well enough looked after and happy enough, I'm no fan of zoos but this is a good one. The exception to this is the dolphin tank, as you may know from the Seaworld topic, keeping dolphins and whales in captivity is something I really don't like and their tank here for me was too small. A hill by a bay in Sweden seems a strange place for animals from Africa but they don't seem to be suffering, and I'm sure they were happy with the day's weather. There is also a petting zoo for kids and big kids.

28937205985_2166dbf77e_k.jpg

Another great day and another great place, and of course, thanks to Kolmarden for welcoming us to their zoo, our entry tickets coming in an envelope addressed to "Brit coaster fans" was a charming little touch, too. A great day, but a tiring day, and after a long drive to Stockholm through a sudden detour through the set of The Day After Tomorrow, we were all glad to (eventually) arrive at our apartments for our final two nights. By the time we were sorted, I was grumpy and dead. I was actually dead. Sorry again for that, everyone.

As I leave you with some photographs, a few questions remain, what would we think of our final park, Grona Lund? Would everything go smoothly in our final two days? Would I recover from my death that night? Find out soon in the final instalment!

28834004512_38d92f8d47_k.jpg

28861888181_875e79305d_k.jpg

The real reason came to Kolmarden. RED PANDAS!

28863367231_17a1deb501_k.jpg
[/url]
28319819374_95f33fb89e_k.jpg

28863136881_49f5c1a42a_k.jpg

They also had this big wooden thing, meh, was alright.

28905713916_20a471e2df_k.jpg

Pokemon GO!ers are sure to love the amount of Ekans and Arboks to catch.

Nearly two months so I suppose I better end the suspense and reassure you that I did indeed make a full recovery, and made it to the last park of the trip, so without further ado, here's the final instalment.

Again, plenty more pictures from the trip can be found here https://flic.kr/s/aHskJzMMZ5

DAY 5: GROANa Lund, DAY 6: Travelling
Waking up feeling much better, myself and most of the gang made it out on time (not mentioning any names coughjonanddavecough) for a drive across Stockholm to drop off the cars. The plan was to take the tram to Grona Lund, our final park, but as it turned out, the tram line was out of action, and after wandering around for a while, we decided to just walk, even after finding some running trams. Or, most of us did, but two of us, including yours truly, jumped the tram to the park. Grona Lund is a beautiful park in a beautiful city, located right on the water and with rides built on top of each other, it's very much reminiscent of Blackpool Pleasure Beach, but much much nicer. The park is split in to two sections, with the main park situated across a covered bridge, while the area around the entrance contains shops, restaurants etc and some children's rides.

Those of us who made it out of bed assembled at the entrance where we were escorted in for a very special treat, an hour of ERT on Grona Lund's two biggest coasters, Jetline and Twister. First up was Twister, an impossibly compact Gravity Group wooden coaster which opened in 2011, and somehow fits around three other coasters, a dark ride and several flats, while running along the promenade. For such a small ride with so many constraints, it's impressive how long it is, but how long it is is nowhere near as impressive as the ride itself. They obviously wanted to re-imagine the classic seaside woody for the 21st century by creating a design that looks like a classic (even down to the paint scheme and art deco entrance), but would never have been possible without modern methods, and they succeeded brilliantly, creating a ride that combines the best of both traditional and modern wooden coasters. It's full of airtime, throws you around, but isn't uncomfortable or unpleasant. It's incredibly fun and I easily prefer it to the much larger Balder. All four wooden coasters on the trip were very different in what they do, what the intention was, and what they represent. Thunder Coaster is very much a product of its time, coming just between the revolutionary steps forward CCI made in the 90s and GCI and GG would make in the 00s, it attempts to be nothing more than a solid wooden coaster and even with all the advancements since, it succeeds. Balder was an attempt to make wooden coasters more like steel coasters, and that, coupled with its bad design, lets it down; when it's good it's amazing, but too often, it's not good, and when it's not good, it's really not good. Wildfire is the latest step in RMC's ongoing attempt to blast wooden coasters into the future, without sacrificing what make wooden coasters what they are, and it pulls it off ridiculously well until its finale. Twister tries something different, and in its attempt to bind past, present and future, they've made a classic. It's not going to trouble my top ten, but it's a brilliantly fun ride and a marvel of design.

28335415604_1f1d0f07d9_k.jpg

Next up was Jetline, a coaster that will be familiar to anyone (un?)lucky enough to have visited Camelot in the years prior to its closure, as it is almost identical to Knightmare, the classic Schwarzkopf with the infamous 'psycho-drop'. The difference with Jetline is a much longer first drop and a twisting section after the turnaround in place of Knightmare's hump. Despite this ride existing long before the coasters around it, the twist actually makes it feel like all the coasters here were designed together from the start. It is also smoother and better presented than Knightmare, a lovely blue colour with some cool 50s retro look to the area around it. The only let down is the modern magnetic brakes bite harder than on Knightmare, especially on the final MCBR, but that doesn't take much away from Jetline.

While riding Jetline, the other two reunited with us and with our ERT over we decided to beat the inevitable queues and quickly head to the only big coaster at Grona Lund which is not part of the big jumble of track, Insane, an Intamin Zacspin. I suppose the nicest way to describe what I thought about this coaster before riding is 'morbid curiosity', and while some people liked it, even riding two or three times over the day, I hated it. With better restraints it would probably have been fairly enjoyable and an interesting alternative to a flat ride for parks that are pressed for space, but being thrown over and over into Intamin's OTSRs is not even my idea of fun, and that cars don't spin as much as I would like.

28338154173_c9d2a62376_k.jpg

Before Twister came along, there was Vilda Musen, a Gerst bobsled that mindbogglingly shares plenty of its structure with Jetline. Not only a great wild mouse style coaster in its own right, the ridiculous interaction with Jetline and Twister make this one of a kind a coaster absolutely not to be missed. The final large coaster at Grona Lund is Kvasten, a Vekoma suspended family coaster. Although it too interacts with Twister, Jetline and Vilda Musen, it does so only briefly, before heading off in a different direction. Having seen POVs of this, I wasn't looking forward to it, until I rode the newly opened Flight Of The Pterosaur at Paulton's, which is the same model. Although it looks boring in POVs, in reality these SFCs are great fun and perfect family coasters. Although Kvasten is older and runs like it, it's still a lovely little ride.

28668841830_987185c1fb_k.jpg

As well as its location and compactness, Grona Lund is also reminiscent of BPB is that although there are no themed areas, there are little pockets where adjacent rides share similar aesthetics. As well as the 50s style of Jetline and spinning flat ride Rockjet, the area around Kvasten has a cartoon horror theme, and includes Bla Taget, a brilliant ghost train with some great effects, that somehow exists inside the mess of track that is Jetline and Twister. Also here is House Of Nightmares, a paid scare attraction that rather uniquely features lots of animatronics and fun house elements. While it was mostly very good, it has a very sudden, anticlimatic ending that comes out of nowhere. "Are you ready to face your nightmares?" asks the voiceover, only for a corridor to lead directly to the exit. Maybe they're trying to be clever and say the real nightmare is real life or something but I doubt it, and either way it's a let down.

With such limited space, tower rides are the obvious choice for Grona Lund, with three already and a fourth on the way. The smallest is a standard S&S combo tower, nothing special but a solid ride if you enjoy shot or drop towers. Fritt Fall however is a massive Intamin drop tower with an optional stand up floorless side that tilts you forward, like Apocalypse at Drayton Manor but much bigger. Tall enough to be terrifying and thrilling, without being so big you get bored half way down, like Hurakan Condor at Portaventura. The third tower ride is Eclipse, a giant Starflyer that offers breathtaking views of the city, but unfortunately, something about dangling from a couple of small chains 400 foot above the ground really unnerves me, so I never enjoy these things as much as I should.

There are also plenty of flat rides on offer, including a very wild magic carpet, a Polyp and a Breakdance, which despite being indoors with a lightshow and dance soundtrack, is on a very mild setting and really disappoints. Grona Lund also has a fun house, and I don't know why they're pretty much absent in the UK now, as they're a great laugh for all ages. The most fun however was Kärlekstunneln, or 'Honey I Shrunk The River Caves, a tiny little boat ride that moves so incredibly slowly that if we didn't push ourselves around we'd probably still be on it now.

Grona Lund is a gorgeous park, very clean, very well looked after, like every other park on this trip. British parks really could learn a lot from the parks we visited. There is so much effort that goes in to keeping the place nice and pleasing guests, nothing seems to be done as cheaply as possible, and it's so impressive how much Grona Lund can fit in to their small space. Everywhere you look there is something to do, and it invariably looks great. There are also plenty of good places to eat, so for breakfast we found a restaurant offering an all you can eat pancake buffet, and if any of you head out to this park, make sure you do the same. At lunch we headed to a Bavarian style beer garden for a pint or cocktail and some food. The culinary highlight however, was at the end of the day. A small building right on the waterfront with outdoor seating that serves bbq meats provided some of the best, and most reasonably priced, theme park food I've ever had. I can't remember exactly how much, but for very cheap, we got a box of various delicious meats, two sides and two dips. With the sun going down over Stockholm at the end of a beautiful clear and warm day, sharing a beer and some great food with great company, I can't think of a better way we could have ended the trip.

28849721392_1378cb6be9_k.jpg

After closing, it would just be a simple journey back to the apartments, right? Wrong. Despite some meticulous planning and Mr Machin's 'Scandisoche Bible', it turned out no one had bothered finding a way back. Eventually we sorted a route involving a boat, a train and a bus, not the most direct way to get back but undeniably the coolest. A few drinks at our apartment and our final full day was over. The next morning, a tram ride into the city centre led to a wild goose chase trying to find somewhere to deposit our luggage, and after several false starts we finally found some lockers in the bus station. The original intention was to spend the day exploring the city, but after all the faff, we instead decided to just go for lunch. :p I'm glad we did though, we found a nice restaurant that was unbelievably cheap, not just for Stockholm's high cost of living, but unbelievably cheap for British standards. For the price of a Maccies we were treated to excellent meals and what I am sure is the best barbecue sauce in the world.

28849563012_73ae667009_k.jpg

All that was left to do now was leave, and on the bus to the airport, the weather, which had been perfect almost all week, seemed to sense our tiredness and sadness, and turned miserable, delaying our flights for over an hour. But at least we were in the airport when the delay was announced, poor Rowe, who got a separate flight that was due slightly earlier, was already on board when her flight too was substantially delayed. :p Such a shame the trip had to end on such a tedious note, but with all the things that could have gone wrong, delayed flights aren't too bad.

And so ends my first international TS trip, hopefully the first of many. I loved every minute that wasn't spent being ill or stuck in the airport. So I would again like to thank the parks for their excellent hospitality, and everyone who came, for making it such a great holiday. Cheers!

Last edited: