• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Efteling: General Discussion

Screamscape brings rumours of a Splash Battle to the table...

Screamscape said:
2013 - The Emperor’s New Clothes & Possible New Ride - (8/6/12) While Efetling the park will indeed add a new fairy tale based on The Emperor’s New Clothes, I’m still hearing talk about adding some kind of new attraction for 2013. The dark ride talk is still around, but there is also talk of a SplashBattle style water ride as well.

Please dear god let the park not get a Splash Battle. Roland has a LOT to answer for in regards to those things...

I don't see how a Splash Battle would benefit Efteling particularly even though they have only one outstanding water ride (being Pirana). Whilst a theme is possible, how it would fit in with Efteling seems a bit awkward.

Just a short announcement as people have been asking me about this. Efteling recently published/updated their opening times. New Years eve is going to become a hard ticket event. Regular opening time on the 31 December is from 11:00 till 18:00. The park then closes for an hour to reopen at 19:00 till 01:00. No press release yet, so no additional info.

Also on the subject of opening times. They have extended their opening times during the always very busy weekends of September and October. Now the park is open from 10:00 - 19:00 on Saturdays in September and from 10:00 - 20:00 on Saturdays during Autumn break (13/20/27 October). I have no clue whatsoever why the opening times on Sundays have not been adjusted accordingly.

Hi Everyone!

No spectacular updates, but just some smaller stuff:

* The Emperor's New Clothes is in its finishing stage. JeroenTwee and GlennV took some pictures:

DSCN1590_zps321c6a58.jpg

kleren2.jpg

Bart de Boer tweeted the miniature and a finished lackey:

A2Bk40jCIAEfMrh.jpg

scaled.php

* Winter Efteling is coming up and Efteling has announced that the projections on three rides will return. However, they did not confirm that it will be the same three rides (Villa Volta, Spookslot and De Vliegende Hollander) as last year.

* During the book presentation of the new Alfie the Werewolf book -an adventure taking place at Efteling @ night- (that's Dolfje Weerwolfje in The Netherlands, an extremely popular children's book series, but probably not known to the general public in the UK), Paul van Loon (the author of Alfie the Werewolf and also the author of the book of Raveleijn) said that 'a spectacular update' is awaiting for Raveleijn in the near future. Let's hope it gets there before Winter Efteling starts. Raveleijn is actually not that bad during its Winter Efteling @ night shows, so, for once, it might actually become a good show :)

I've just come across this beautiful celebration video of Efteling on YouTube, it focuses on the memories of visitors who went as children to the park rather than the rides themselves.

Making of: 60 Jaar Efteling

Some bits of Efteling news to share with you:

Winter Efteling started a week ago with the opening of the Emperor's New Clothes in the Fairytale Forest:
De nieuwe kleren van de keizer - Efteling 2012

It has turned out to be a nice addition to the forest, adding a new style of architecture.

Furthermore, as already indicated in my last post, Efteling officially announced the new Raveleijn show for next year. This time, they will be working together with the French park 'Puy du Fou'. That's a park which has a lot of experience with large-scale shows, as the park more or less only offers shows, and which arguably has the best shows in Europe in its genre. For anyone of you who is not familiar with the park:
Clip promotionnel 2012 du Grand Parc du Puy du Fou
If they can't make Raveleijn interesting, no one can...

If this decision has had any consequences on the rumored 'Lummels' ride for 2013 is not known. On the one hand, it would be awkward for Efteling to actually open a ride in the year when they planned it to open. Last time that happened was in 2002 with Pandadroom (Aquanura was originally planned in the near future, Raveleijn was planned for 2010, George and the Dragon was planned for 2011 and The Flying Dutchman was planned for 2006). Because the renewal of Raveleijn was actually planned for 2014, I could well imagine that they turned it around. The reason for the early renewal, however not officially voiced of course, will certainly have to do with the little appreciation of Efteling's guests for the show. On the other hand, currently land measurements are taking place at the location imagined for 'Lummels'. So who knows?

For 2013, also the parade that was planned for 2012 and cancelled at the last moment will probably be added to the entertainment calendar, but that information has not been publicly released yet.

EXCELLENT news! Everything is amazing about Raveleijn except the show itself. :p

I've heard that Puy do Fou do the best shows in the world, so I can't wait to see what they come up with. It should be spectacular.

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is this 'Lummels' ride? :)

My bad! Look at my post of the 25th July. That's the rumored 2013 (dark)ride. I thought I mentioned it more recently, guess I was still under the influence of re experiencing my gamble with death looking at the Sky Rider video in the Canada's Wonderland topic.

Good. I have been to the Puy de Fou twice and their shows are superb. In particular, the Roman Colosseum and Cinéscénie are literally the best I have seen.

:D :D :D

More Efteling news for 2013!

After nineteen seasons of the place once by Efteling's board members coined to be a 'byre', the queue of Droomvlucht is getting refurbished. In September 2013, Droomvlucht will close for 2.5 months for major refurbishments.

According to looopings.com, Efteling's pr department stated: 'we are going to make Droomvlucht ready for the next twenty years, technically as well as esthetically'.

Well that's not actually stating that it is going to affect the queue, but it's just impossible that they are not going to create a new one. Everyone who has ever been to Efteling on a busy day and walked underneath the gate knows what I'm talking about. You think 'oh nice' and then you turn left and there it is, your biggest wtf moment of the day.

When Droomvlucht opened, there actually was a decently themed queue, but it led to lines crossing the entire square and therefore, after one season, they turned the themed queue in an event venue and created a queue with the highest capacity in the park and used every square inch available for that. They did create two small stages where a mini musical used to be performed providing some entertainment, but that was cancelled after a couple of seasons.

A recording of a part of the musical (best quality I could find)

Do - Dromen met je ogen open (@ Efteling in 1997)

Apparently, according to the rumors, the refurbishments also include new transitions between the different scenes in the ride, a newly themed station (which doesn't look that good either) and a refurbishment of the restaurant with seats which allow you to look into the different scenes of the ride.

To be completely honest, I don't expect that the queue will turn from an ugly duckling into a beautiful swan, that would just decrease the capacity of the queue too much, but it can certainly become way better if it would already be indoor with nice decorations and if they would sacrifice some square meters to avoid having people walking back and forth the entire time.

This is great news! One of the biggest shocks on my first visit to Efteling was the cattlepen that is currently used for Droomvlucht's queue, especially considering we had queued for DvH just before this (which is the best queue I've ever experienced)! Think we queued about an hour for Droomvlucht that day and it was a wholly miserable experience.

Do you not remember the yoyo we got? :D But as Matt said it was a huge shock as the rest of the park is stunning, even the queue for the rapids is better themed!

Is this to make up for lack of Hartenhof and to compete with Ratatouille and Arthur?

;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Excellent news!

Dreamflight's queue is so awful, it lets down the whole park. And the ride could do with a serious refresh, especially the crappy 1980s shopping centre station.

I hope they sort out those rubbish 'starfield' transitions, they feel so jarring. Maybe somehow expand the walls outward (if that's possible) and put extra small scenes in there? They need to update the whole ride to use modern dark ride technology - I'm talking high-tech animatronics and mist projections!

Corine, what does "byre" mean exactly? :)

Sam said:
I hope they sort out those rubbish 'starfield' transitions, they feel so jarring. Maybe somehow expand the walls outward (if that's possible) and put extra small scenes in there? They need to update the whole ride to use modern dark ride technology - I'm talking high-tech animatronics and mist projections!

Corine, what does "byre" mean exactly? :)

'Byre' should be a synonym of 'cattlepen' according to Google Translate.. At least, that's what I got when I typed the Dutch word in. Probably not then :D

I don't think they are going to change anything to the scenes though, other than the starfield transitions, according to the rumors. I would already be more than happy with the queue, the station, the exit area and the transitions between the scenes.

Rick Markstein from themepark.nl posted some images of Vekoma's ride system for Hartenhof:

HH1.jpg

HH2.jpg

HH3.jpg

Sorry about Google's translation of what he had to say :p ...
It is unfortunate that there are rumors that Vekoma not it would work on the project Hartenhof. Because I think I have just the patent found by Vekoma where ritsysteem of Hartenhof described and depicted. Nothing is certain, and I'm assuming that this system Hartenhof could be purely based on the already published drawings . But if this will foreshadow the attraction that it might have come, I am very curious. Complete patent

I have to say, it does look magnificent!

Excellent! Looks ten times better than that ridiculously crappy Pandora's Box thing they wanted before. A relatively simple ride system for an incredible ride, thank god. :)

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

It looks like a bigger version of the system used for Forbidden Journey. I'd like to know how much the ride system costs once everything is done. I doubt we'd ever see one over here, but wouldn't it be nice if Alton made SW8 or 9 a new dark ride? I guess this system would be incredibly expensive though. :-\

It has been a while, but it's time for some Efteling news.

First up is Raveleijn. The show will premiere on 30 April and will keep true to the storyline of the original show. Up until now, the show has been advertised more as an update than a new show which seems like a good move in expectation management. Nevertheless, expectations are high, there is a 50-person crew from Puy du Fou to which the show is completely outsourced to. The arena has area 51-like security measures as apparently even the windows from the office have been blinded. Despite all these measures, heavy constructions seems to have been taking place and new decor has been made. Furthermore, the bird habitat has been undergoing a large expansion, so expect more birds...

Next is a rumor from a website which has a good track record on these issues: Game Gallery will be taken down and, unfortunately, rebuild after the Summer. They want to bring the (now absent) theming more in line with the theming from the Flying Dutchman and the Halve Maen. A couple of years ago, a picture from a new nature plan for the park surfaced and that fits in nicely with the announced plans:

knipselo.png

Yes, indeed, the water on the picture is not there yet. I hope that they are going to add that as well. This would certainly make the worst square of the park look a lot nicer.

For 2014, two small (12 meter) freefall towers have been ordered. At least, the Efteling does not deny nor confirm this. They are a new addition to the People of Laaf. I can't be excited about this, but the upside is that the queue will apparently be a cave section with projections and effects and all of that. At least this fits in nicely with the background story of the People of Laaf, because they have been touring through caves around the Earth since the start of the Ice Age only to settle themselves at Efteling in the beginning of the 1990s.

On the plans on a 'second gate' that were discussed in another topic. The news article only states that the local government is willing to allocate a lot more space for use by Efteling. Actually, they already own more than half of it, but these grounds can now only be used for agricultural means. It will take years before such a process will be finalized. Although to my surprise, the people living close to that area weren't that worried about it, but you only need one to stall these procedures...
I wouldn't bet on if they just want to expand the park or build a second gate. They almost did the latter a couple of years ago when Bosrijk didn't do that well, and they wanted to buy the grounds of the Land van Ooit, a smaller park a couple of miles from Efteling that went bankrupt. However, the local government (who bought the ground from Land van Ooit) did not want to lower their asking price.
The local government also wants to offer the grounds next to the main road leading to Efteling (where the Efteling hotel is located) to large hotel companies.

Quick question on AT. The opening times that are stated on the website for the Summer are absurd. Do they have a Europapark policy of keeping the park open if it's busy or do they actually close at 6:00pm?