• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Energylandia (Poland): New Coasters

Does nobody else feel icky that a large part of this park was paid using money from a government that also wants to annexe and persecute LGBTQ+ people?

There’s pages and pages of how good the rides are, but is any ride *that* good that we collectively look the other way?

If you wrote off a whole country just because of it’s government’s policies then you’d probably not be visiting…

well, even Alton Towers.
It’s not so much government policy as much as a genuine hatred that is written into law. But whatever RMC woo

If you wrote off a whole country just because of it’s government’s policies then you’d probably not be visiting…

well, even Alton Towers.

The Nordic countries might get away with it.

Maybe Germany; but given the recent stuff Michael Mack has been posting, a lot of people would have to sack off Europa.

Could also say the same for those who travel to Dubai for creds or visiting the World Cup this year.

Humans are nothing if not hypocritical. However can one really blame a certain park for being located in an awful country with abhorrent views?

At least it means you'd never have to go to Flamingoland ever again.

I just personally can’t imagine we’d be flocking to Russia or North Korea for coasters, but people seem ok to go to UAE or Poland when their human rights laws are pretty much in the gutter too, especially when it comes to attitudes towards Women and LGBTQ+ folks respectively

Maybe Germany; but given the recent stuff Michael Mack has been posting, a lot of people would have to sack off Europa.
Does Michael Mack ever post anything on social media other than Europa Park stuff? Looking at his Twitter feed he recently liked a pretty innocuous tweet about Elon Musk and that’s about it.

Does Michael Mack ever post anything on social media other than Europa Park stuff? Looking at his Twitter feed he recently liked a pretty innocuous tweet about Elon Musk and that’s about it.

He’s been liking and following a fair bit of far right stuff lately.

I just personally can’t imagine we’d be flocking to Russia or North Korea for coasters, but people seem ok to go to UAE or Poland when their human rights laws are pretty much in the gutter too, especially when it comes to attitudes towards Women and LGBTQ+ folks respectively

Yeah, but creds.

I'd probably factor in Poland having a bit more history to kinda justify a visit. But people are extremely hypocritical and happy to ignore things when they want to do something.

Yeah, but creds.

I'd probably factor in Poland having a bit more history to kinda justify a visit. But people are extremely hypocritical and happy to ignore things when they want to do something.
It’s disappointing, not least given the fact that the makeup of enthusiasts veers towards queer and divergent identities

As someone living adjacent to Poland, and with plenty of Polish friends who are part of the LGBTQI community, I'm not sure I agree with the country being compared to UAE, never mind Russia and especially not North Korea. The increasingly discriminatory lawmaking in Poland is very troubling, and arguably incompatible with the EU funding that brought us hits like Zadra, Hyperion and that weird shooting dark ride. Nonetheless, there are still large and visible queer communities in all the major Polish cities, including within an hour of Energylandia.

It's fair enough if boycotting Poland for leisure time feels like the right thing to do on a personal level. It feels a little odd to me, largely as it's just an invisible border around 45 minutes drive away, but the attitude of young, queer Poles is not typically one that encourages an international boycott. However, I don't know if the community maintains a specific stance on cred hunting Vekoma Boomerangs.

Do people check all the policies of a particular country before they visit? Some states in America are probably out if you go down that route, in fact you could write off the whole country if you don’t agree with the right to bare arms. What about Italy and its significant corruption problems?

I suppose my point is, where do you draw the line? Is it homophonic policies, asylum policies or economic policies? You could literally stop visiting the UK because of the government’s Rwanda policy, but has that stopped you visiting theme parks?

By all means draw your own lines and visit where you’re comfortable, but don’t judge others because they’ve drawn that line in a slightly different place.

I like to try and visit countries that don’t demonstrably put LGBTQ+ in camps, yeah

I remember reading this very same discussion earlier this year about LGBTQ+ issues and Poland and wether or not we should be comfortable visiting the parks there.

It was certainly something that was on my mind when I visited Energylandia and Krakow in the summer, I’m not LGBTQ+ myself but I am a person of colour and I’d always been a little apprehensive about the idea of visiting Central and Eastern Europe (based on the offensive chanting and gestures you sometimes unfortunately see at football matches).

The day after I visited Energylandia I was in Krakow and took a walk up by Wavel Castle. Can you imagine how pleasantly surprised (given what you’ve said about LGBTQ+ rights in Poland) I was to see two guys, one black, one white, strolling happily along hand in hand like any other couple? I mentioned this to my wife that it was something I was pleasantly surprised to see and then explained about how I’d read things on this forum about LGBTQ+ rights in Poland. Obviously these rights and laws there are something that you’ll know about in more depth than I do, and perhaps you’ll know of people’s own personal experiences there, but as others above have said, it’s a very slippery slope to go down boycotting the parks in a country because you don’t agree with some of the regulations there.

Last edited:
I like to try and visit countries that don’t demonstrably put LGBTQ+ in camps, yeah

I have to say I went to Energylandia/Poland earlier this year, and as a queer person I spent the preceding days in complete fear, debating whether to cancel the trip and I built up in my mind how guarded I would need to be. Without going into detail there were many experiences that made my concerns quickly evaporate and we (including my also queer friend) had a really good time. I appreciate your stance on anti-LGBT+ governments but the governments agenda doesn’t necessarily reflect the attitude of the people; for example do you support sending migrants off to Rwanda?

This isn’t in defence of their governments stance, but merely a suggestion following my own experience that certain situations aren’t as binary as they may appear on paper.

Zadra, Hyperion… shantay you both stay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited: