• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Europa Bark! - Tim's Trips

Thank you for updating this thread, I've loved seeing the pictures and reading about "Europa Bark." Not anytime soon, but I'm hoping to do a Europa Bark trip at some point in my life. I'll need a dog first, though!

And wow, wasn't expecting the twist at the end! A big, big congratulations to you :)

Thank you Skyscraper and Matt!
Thank you for updating this thread, I've loved seeing the pictures and reading about "Europa Bark." Not anytime soon, but I'm hoping to do a Europa Bark trip at some point in my life. I'll need a dog first, though!

And wow, wasn't expecting the twist at the end! A big, big congratulations to you :)
If you do manage your own Europa Bark that'd be amazing! I knew I had to write this report from the moment I came back because I realised there might be others who'd love to try it. And we really were surprised that the only complicated part of the process was crossing the UK boarder.

Unsurprisingly the twist was one of the first parts of the trip I wrote. Had to restructure the whole report around it. But I knew it was worth it so that, like everyone who was in our group, it would come as a complet surprise when I revealed it. There was so much going on in this trip we didn't even manage to tell our friends and family until the final day, so leaving it until last felt like a fitting place for it while writing.
There were a few hints to it scattered throughout the report. Mainly in the prologue. This trip really did bring together so many moments in our lives that it was absolutely the right time and place.

I'm in Germany, so the border would not be an issue. But the fact that I don't have a dog yet might be a bit of a problem :) The dog is coming in the next year or so, and then we'll start thinking about bringing it to EP. I can imagine places where dogs are allowed but not exactly welcome, but your report really makes it clear that our furry friends are first class citizens at EP, which is really wonderful. Congrats again!

You missed a golden opportunity to say "But the story didn't end there"

Other than that great trip report, congratulations Tim and soon to be Mrs Tim.

Which of the dogs is best man?

I genuinely, thoroughly loved following this. Thanks for taking the time to write it all up.

How did your Vallhunds manage with all the walking? I'm planning on doing my own trip with my corgi at some point. 😄

Also out of curiosity, how difficult was it for you to find Vallhund puppies?!

You missed a golden opportunity to say "But the story didn't end there"

Other than that great trip report, congratulations Tim and soon to be Mrs Tim.

Which of the dogs is best man?
"But the story didn't end there" was tempting, but a bit too overdramatic on top of everything else. Anyway I always joke that they say that line right at the point the legend ends and the made up story begins, and that wasn't the case for this story.
I did originally have a nod to Matt N's trip earlier in the year with "Well, what did I think?" But it might have been lost in an edit.

Technically neither dog is best man as they are both girls. But I've always thought Oakley would look good in a top hat. But I'm really having to fight my case to make that happen.

I genuinely, thoroughly loved following this. Thanks for taking the time to write it all up.

How did your Vallhunds manage with all the walking? I'm planning on doing my own trip with my corgi at some point. 😄

Also out of curiosity, how difficult was it for you to find Vallhund puppies?!
Thank you Panda.

She managed it well but was completely dead in the evenings. Would crash on her bed and remain unmoving until the morning. When I lifted her off her legs just flopped.
But during the day with the constant stop start as we joined different queues they did just fine. We had that buggy for them but for most of the trip it was just bag storage.

Not to hard for us to get her, just a matter of time. I think I cover most of the story in the prologue but the main points were:
  • We became really friendly with the Swedish Vallhund Society and showed we were committed.
  • We weren't too picky on what we were looking for. Vallhund's tails can range from bobs to full curls. If you are waiting for a specific type be prepared to wait a long time.
  • Patience. There are only a few litters born in the UK each year so you either just have to wait or as we unexpectedly ended up doing looking at other breeders around the world.
Speaking of which, if anyone is at Crufts this year come along to Discover Dogs. The Europa Bark group will be together again hosting the Vallhund stand for one of the days (although we aren't sure which yet).