• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Europa Park: Beyond the 50th Season

venny

TS Member
Europa is now in its 50th season and every year seems to break the previous record for highest attendance. The Resort is clearly providing a product which people enjoy, but with that brings perpetual pressure to deliver new attractions, additional capacity and the continuous maintenance of facilities to the high standards set. So what’s in store for the park in the medium to long term? How do the Mack’s continue to entertain ever-increasing numbers of guests whilst maintaining the high standards they have set themselves?

Here’s a quick recap of what we believe to be on the cards so far: -

- Voltron, Croatia, Austria, Geisterschloss, Phantom and the new staff accommodation are all well advanced in their construction and due to open this year.

- Croatia Phase II has already been mentioned by the Macks with the possibility of opening next year. There doesn’t seem to be much in the way of solid rumours as to what it will involve although we can reasonably guess at either flat ride or dark ride or both.

- EuroMir seems to have been on the list for quite a few years already, although other events have probably overtaken it. The secondary entrance to Croatia passes right in front of EuroMir so it might be looked at as a priority for refurb due to it being in such a prominent position or essential to maintain open due to capacity. One would anticipate that Bench would form part of any refurbs too.

- Historama has been mentioned for a conversion into a gameplay theatre. If I’m honest, I’m not entirely sure what that means, but it’s clearly on the cards.

- Two more hotels plus the monorail to Rulantica are planned, but seemingly paused for the time being, awaiting a more stable labour base to staff them. For me the monorail extension is a crucial part of drawing the Resort together as one.

- The Camp Resort has begun its expansion already, with the bypass road now in place and significant building work starting to take place.

- There is a long term plan for Rulantica expansion, although I’m not sure we know what the next immediate addition will be.

So with all those projects at some phase of gestation, which of them will be next or is there something else going to overtake them? With the park’s 50th birthday being next year, you’d expect there to be something of note to mark the occasion, albeit there is no obvious leading contender at the moment.

Is there an argument that the park consolidates after a period of multiple concurrent projects? Does focus shift to Rulantica?

Personally I’d love to see a high thrill flat ride, which feels like one of the very few gaps in the park’s arsenal. Some type of gyroswing would fit in nicely with the steampunk/tesla vibe in Austria. Is it perhaps something Mack could even manufacture themselves?

Other than that, it would be great to see more focus on food and beverage. There seems like there’s such an opportunity to expand the drinks selections outside of the very standardised selection most outlets have. It’s always baffled me why there isn’t a wider selection of beers from the different countries.

There is, and always has been, an issue with food service speed and queues on busier days too and it would be great to see that addressed to alleviate the perpetual waits so often seen at the likes of Three Little Pigs and Mykonos. It seems like that would require a combination of increased staffing and additional outlets. Unfortunately Croatia doesn’t seem to offer too much of an expansion in food delivery at the moment and that does feel like a missed opportunity.

To go along with that niggle it would also be good to see a park-wide audio renovation. The park audio has been spotty for so long and it really adds to the atmosphere when you do hear the themed music and park suite play in the areas where it is audible.

So what do you think the medium and long term looks like? What should the park focus on and which of the projects on the list are we likely to see happen next?

My concern with the current Geisterschloss refurbishment is that it's being rushed to get the ride back open. I'd much prefer it to stay closed for a few years and get the Batavia treatment. Currently it's the main ride that people point to and refer to Europa as a cheap Disney knockoff, despite all the evidence they invest so much more into the park than Disney. Fixing this ride will go a long way to resolve this.

I also think the Historama has a lot of unused potential. When I first visited it had just been turned into the history show, and I thought it was a really cool idea to see a park celebrating what they do. But I've since been on the Carousel of Progress, and I've realised that these theatre in the round attractions are very rare and also very unique high capacity ride systems. Given the quality of EPs shows and recent dark rides I could see them coming up with a great story driven replacement, that doesn't suffer from the constant need to keep the current version updated (and stop it turning into just a Rulantica advert).
Again like Geisterschloss the current rumors for the attraction simply don't sound like the fix that it needs.

Finally Euro Mir really does need attention. My last ride on it I didn't enjoy at all.
I'd like to see them keep the towers (they feel iconic to Europa). Bizarrely I'd even love it if they keep the spiral lift, but really lean in to the space feel. I forsee Epic Universe's Celestial Park becoming a trend setter for non-steampunk space themes making a return.
However the rest of the ride has to become an Extrem Spinner. It would be an amazing "1, 2 punch" to have the parks two most intense rides side by side. And that ride system is a proven winner.

Great thread!

We know snippets of the future, but it's all quite vague at the moment. However I am sure that there are significant plans in place for the next few years, Europa-Park are not one to rest on the laurels. The priorities for me would be as follows:
  • Conversion of the Historama in to the Gameplay Theatre. I suspect this may happen for the 2025 season
  • They need to address what is left of Adventure Land (i.e. African Food Station, Crocodile Bar and Spices). This just does not fit in to the park any more. Spices can probably stay as it is as a standalone venue, but for the rest they need to implement the plans that had previously been announced for a new station and restaurant building at Josefina's. I hope that this project will be back on the cards ASAP
  • EuroMir does need addressing. I quite like it, but I suspect it is nearing the end of its life. I would ideally like them to keep the towers, as they are iconic to Europa-Park
  • A Croatia expansion will be needed soon and it wouldn't shock me if we got this for 2026. I believe a Mack Rocking Boat ride could be on the cards as a potential new ride for the area
  • I do feel that the park needs a top class modern dark ride, something utilising a trackless system. Pirates is a world class classic dark ride, and now they need a modern one to go alongside it. Maybe this will come as part of the next themed area in 4 or 5 years time?
  • Then finally, continued expansion of Rulantica. It's all gone very quiet, but I think I read somewhere that at a recent fan event a major expansion was mentioned. I think we'll hear something within the next year
We obviously have the Camp Resort expansion which is ongoing and going to be great for the Resort. I am not sure we will see another hotel imminently, but I think whenever they do build the next hotel it needs to be done alongside the new monorail. I reckon we are looking at another 7 or 8 years before that all happens.

Personally I’d love to see a high thrill flat ride, which feels like one of the very few gaps in the park’s arsenal. Some type of gyroswing would fit in nicely with the steampunk/tesla vibe in Austria. Is it perhaps something Mack could even manufacture themselves?
I've been thinking about this too, a high thrill flat is definitely needed. A gyro swing would certainly be a good fit in the Croatia area, and a Huss Suspended Top Spin too.

I personally do not think that Europa-Park need a thrill flat ride, and I don't see it as something they will be actively looking at. I just don't think it would be all that easy to fit and theme one in to the park in the way they would want to, and capacity of them is not always the best.

• A Croatia expansion will be needed soon and it wouldn't shock me if we got this for 2026. I believe a Mack Rocking Boat ride could be on the cards as a potential new ride for the area
  • I do feel that the park needs a top class modern dark ride, something utilising a trackless system. Pirates is a world class classic dark ride, and now they need a modern one to go alongside it. Maybe this will come as part of the next themed area in 4 or 5 years time?
I feel these two can be done together. The Rocking Boat Ride could make a fantastic dark ride. It elevates the classic boat ride in a way that has only been achieved on Shanghai’s pirates so far.

They definitely need to add this ride as the expansion to Croatia, as the county is famous for its coastline and despite the small amount of water outside Voltrons entrance the area doesn't feel coastal as they were hinting at... yet.

Michael Mack mentioned that there were two additional rides coming to the area. Whilst we don’t definitely know what the new warehouse construction is going to hold, if it’s a consolidation of the Traumatica area, that frees up a fair amount of space between Croatia/Greece and the access road.

That space could well be used for a water ride assuming you would require a fair amount of space for the reservoir. They might even be able to link up with the current dead end at Pegasus to create a second entrance to the area, although that might not be possible given the space they have between the service roads and Pegasus’s entrance.

Confirmed projects through various interviews in the last couple years:
- Mack Rides confirmed the Gameplay theatre replacing Historama
- One of the Macks at a fan event mentioned a new Voletarium film in the works
- EuroMir 2.0 has been mentioned multiple times and although blurred out concepts for the project have been seen in the background of images from Mack NeXT's offices
- Michael Mack confirmed on their podcast that a Rocking Boat will eventually be built in EP
- And we know there will be expansions to Croatia

The timeline of these however is the big question. Certainly Voletarium and Historama I could see in 2025 small project year off the back of all the projects this year. Plus would be nice additions for the park's 50th birthday.

Croatia rumours suggest one phase will see a street added with a new show venue/theatre (which Thomas has somewhat potentially hinted at too), and another phase will be the Rocking Boat ride. Perhaps 2026 a small Croatia expansion followed up in 2027, when some time has passed since Voltron, with the next 'big ride' as the Rocking Boat.

Rulantica has two additions in the works afaik however again when these arrive is unknown but hopefully one of them for 2025 too?