• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Europa Park History

Matt Creek

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Steel Vengeance
Thought I'd make a topic on the history of Europa Park.

I've only just realised Piccolo Mondo has only been around a few years as it used to be called Ciao Bambini. At first I thought it was just a name change but despite using the same ride system, the attraction was technically rethemed in 2011 (having opened in 1982).

Ciao Bambini was one of my favourite ride as a kid! Shame they rethemed it.
The music is the same, but the old one was the same all around the ride, and it was Euromaus singing. Also the old winter music, that's not used anymore, was quite funny too.

And did you know that the Alpenexpress used to be named Grottenblitz? ;)

For the comparisons of Caio Bambini and Piccolo Mondo (the current theme). Here's what they were like.

Ciao Bambini

Piccolo Mondo

Having never ridden the original (first visit this year), the current/updated version feels a lot more polished whilst retaining much charm and fundamental elements of the original (notably tunnel of love).

The old one reminds me a bit of Toyland Tours and It's A Small World. As charming as it looks I can see why they updated it as this would look fairly out of place now.

As charming as it looks I can see why they updated it as this would look fairly out of place now.
To be honnest, it does still look fairly out of place now. Even if an update was needed, this one has been quickly done and the result is a ride with poor theming, as the old one used to be.
Many people that have been visited the park for years are sad about this changes without really changing anything.