• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

European Parks Winter Openings

Basically for the past few winters I have wondered which parks are best to visit during the closed season and have always tried to find information on which rides (realistically) will be open and closed during winter season.

The parks websites usually says very little other than vague things like "weather permitting" so thought it would be an idea to make a thread with more detailed information on winter offerings for people to refer to. So I'll get the ball rolling. Would be great if people could add to this thread based on their own experiences of winter park visits. So here goes,

PortAventura: All rides open except water rides (Rapids and magic fish still open), Templo Del Fuego, Yukatan, Cobra Imperial and lake boats also closed for winter.

Parque Warner Madrid: All water rides, Stunt Fall and Batman simulator closed for winter.

Parque de Atracciones Madrid: Not great to visit in the winter. Water rides closed, some coasters closed on rotation depending on time of winter (Amismo closed during Christmas for example), various other winter closures around the park.

That's as far as my closed season experience goes, please add yours here.

Europa Park: All water rides closed expect for Whale Adventures and Dschungelfarht. Silver Star does not operate and Blue Fire operates at peak times (unofficially!). Special winter shows run including a circus and additional attractions are added, including the Bellevue giant wheel.

Efteling: Pirana (rapids) and De Vliegende Hollander are closed. The park operates year-round, so some attractions may be closed for maintenance, check the website for dates.

Phantasialand: River Quest closed. All other major rides should be open, including Chiapas.

For all of the above, extreme cold or snow may force rides to close. Bobsleigh rides and powered coasters generally being the most susceptible.

Toverland also has some winter opening dates, as does Plopsaland...

Obvious one is DLP as well...

Toverland also has some winter opening dates, as does Plopsaland...

Obvious one is DLP as well...

I've heard that Toverland is a very small selection of indoor rides. Is this the case?

Also does anyone know what ride availibility is like at Tivoli and Liseberg during Christmas?

The Troy area apparently opens (but that's weather permitting)...

Liseberg doesn't appear to have Helix or Kanonenenenenen open... Balder is open this year however...

I think Tivoli opens pretty much everything, I could be wrong though...

I wouldn't have thought most of Liseberg's rides could operate at the kind of temperatures Sweeden gets over winter?

I have heard that Tivoli do open all rides throughout their Christmas season which is pretty impressive considering they have a B&M coaster.

Liseberg have detailed details of their Christmas event here and each ride page states which seasons said ride is open throughout (summer, Halloween, Christmas). They also have a list of rides open in the winer.

Looks like both Balder and Mechanica are opening this year along with some others. They also have a Christmas market and other seasonal things going on in the park. Looks like a lovely event for if you lived locally.

:)

Rainbow Magicland, outside of Rome, appears to be open weekends in December along with its rides.

I had noticed that too. Although I've only visited this park in the summer and, as it's got a lot of major water rides, I can't quite imagine it over the cold winter months. Sadly Rainbow's sister park Miragica is closed for winter, shame because I would have loved to have tried that one out. Can't really justify it when so many bigger parks ar open though.

On the subject of Italy, Gardaland appear to be open, no idea of ride line up though.

Surely a winter day in Italy is still warmer than a summer day in the UK? :p