• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Europe's Best Coaster Line-Up

If it were possible for Thorpe Park to get new trains for Colossus so that it rode like Sik then you’d have to think that Hyperion, Stealth, Inferno, Swarm, and theoretically a comfortable and smooth Colossus would be one hell of a strong top five.

If we are just talking about top 3 coasters then I think that Liseberg is solid when you think about Helix, Balder, and Valkyria. Pity they haven’t got the space to add a good large coaster but they’ve been very inventive with what they have. But then again if Grona Lund can squeeze in Monster maybe Liseberg could do something similar, and maybe they’ll have a little extra bit of space when the flume goes.

Last edited:
See, I don’t think that Alton Towers’ coaster selection mostly being prototypes necessarily makes them any worse. I’d say that Alton Towers does have my overall favourite coaster selection in the UK.

Of the ones mentioned in the opening post, I've done Alton, Thorpe, Blackpool and Europa. If I look at my spreadsheet, I'd say that for me personally, Europa has the strongest top 3 but Alton has the strongest overall selection.

If I rank them by top 3, the results are as follows:
RankingParkTotal Number of Coasters RiddenMean Rating of Top 3 (out of 10) (1dp)Mean Overall Ranking of Top 3 (out of 111) (1dp)Coasters in Top 3
1Europa Park129.78.3
  1. Silver Star (#3/111, 10/10)
  2. Wodan (#6/111, 10/10)
  3. Blue Fire (#16/111, 9/10)
2Alton Towers109.313
  1. Wicker Man (#10/111, 10/10)
  2. Oblivion (#11/111, 9/10)
  3. Nemesis (#18/111, 9/10)
3Thorpe Park78.719
  1. Stealth (#12/111, 9/10)
  2. Nemesis Inferno (#17/111, 9/10)
  3. The Swarm (#28/111, 8/10)
4Blackpool Pleasure Beach107.731.7
  1. Icon (#9/111, 10/10)
  2. Avalanche (#33/111, 7/10)
  3. Nickelodeon Streak (#53/111, 6/10)

And if I rank them by the quality of the overall selection, the results are as follows:
RankingParkNumber of Coasters RiddenMean Rating of Whole Selection (out of 10) (1dp)Mean Overall Ranking of Whole Selection (out of 111) (1dp)
1Alton Towers106.543.4
2Thorpe Park76.445.9
3Europa Park126.344.6
4Blackpool Pleasure Beach104.569.3

So for me, Europa wins on the basis of the top 3, but Alton Towers wins on the basis of the overall selection strength. Thorpe Park holds its own against Alton Towers and Europa in terms of the strength of its overall selection, being roughly level-pegged with Europa and only ever so slightly weaker than Alton by this barometer, but in terms of its top 3, the park comes out a little weaker than Alton or Europa. Blackpool Pleasure Beach is the weakest of the 4 by quite a considerable margin for both overall selection strength and top 3 strength.
I would currently say that Towers has the best coaster lineup in the UK, with Thorpe 2nd and BPB 3rd.

Silver Star and Blue Fire are poor though.

Shambhala and Hyperion and even technically not hypers in Piraten and EGF are far superior in doing what Silver Star tries and fails to do. Gotham City Escape and Taron make Blue Fire irrelevant as well, along with Star Trek being a better coaster of the same model and the Intamin cable launchers being better as well.

Outside of that, Can-Can and Matterhorn are dull and Schweizer Bobbehan is absolutely terrible. ASS and Poseidon are okay with Wodan and Mir the only coasters that are up there rubbing shoulders with other great European rides.

Each to their own but I would argue Bluefire is pretty good (I find the comparison with Taron and Gotham city escape odd as it’s not the same style of coaster, it’s a looper not an airtime machine), can-can isn’t boring and neither is Matterhorn (though it’s fairly standard wildmouse fair). Ironically one of the two rides you like I really don’t (Mir). Silverstar is fun and although overall one of the weaker B&M hypers it has one of the better endings (most other B&M hypers have the pointless trims near the end).

I don’t actually think any European park has a balls to wall selection of coasters unlike America. It seems each of the big parks has one or two standouts but that’s about it.

I'm another for Thorpe having serious potential to have the best coaster line up in Europe. I'd make a couple of changes though!

Colossus - With the ongoing 'sparkle project' it's beginning to look great again, a few upgrades to scenery & of course, new trains will completely transform the experience and solidify it as a great coaster once more, even for seasoned enthusiasts.
Swarm - My apologies, I know not everyone agrees but the Swarm is so underrated and although I know it's not necessarily the most thrilling coaster... in my opinion, it is easily the best themed coaster in the UK and the overall package makes it a stand out.
Stealth - Better than some of its taller counterparts, iconic and the launch is a cracker!
Ninferno - I'd love to see this given a few upgrades to level it up. Whilst often overlooked, it's solid, nippy, good fun.
SAW - Take it to the scrapyard. I've come to realise I really loathe a Eurofighter 😂 Especially this one despite it being one of my favourites many years ago. Replace this with a woodie. (I know there are SAW fans here... sorry!)
TWD - If the building was used for possibly an axis or even a raptor... I'd be happier. As it stands, it's not my bag and doesn't do anything for the line up.
Hyperia - This is undoubtedly going to be a draw not just for Europe but Worldwide & elevate Thorpe Parks offerings. But, only time will tell if it stands firm as a great coaster. I have reasonably high hopes.
Flying Fish - World Class. Never change.

I'd also like to see the Ghost Train site used for a Mack Xtreme spinning coaster. But... I don't ask for much 😁😂

I'm another for Thorpe having serious potential to have the best coaster line up in Europe. I'd make a couple of changes though!

Colossus - With the ongoing 'sparkle project' it's beginning to look great again, a few upgrades to scenery & of course, new trains will completely transform the experience and solidify it as a great coaster once more, even for seasoned enthusiasts.
Swarm - My apologies, I know not everyone agrees but the Swarm is so underrated and although I know it's not necessarily the most thrilling coaster... in my opinion, it is easily the best themed coaster in the UK and the overall package makes it a stand out.
Stealth - Better than some of its taller counterparts, iconic and the launch is a cracker!
Ninferno - I'd love to see this given a few upgrades to level it up. Whilst often overlooked, it's solid, nippy, good fun.
SAW - Take it to the scrapyard. I've come to realise I really loathe a Eurofighter 😂 Especially this one despite it being one of my favourites many years ago. Replace this with a woodie. (I know there are SAW fans here... sorry!)
TWD - If the building was used for possibly an axis or even a raptor... I'd be happier. As it stands, it's not my bag and doesn't do anything for the line up.
Hyperia - This is undoubtedly going to be a draw not just for Europe but Worldwide & elevate Thorpe Parks offerings. But, only time will tell if it stands firm as a great coaster. I have reasonably high hopes.
Flying Fish - World Class. Never change.

I'd also like to see the Ghost Train site used for a Mack Xtreme spinning coaster. But... I don't ask for much 😁😂

So it has the best coaster line up if we scrap one ride and modify another one?

Hyperia is not going to have a world wide draw, it’s not even half as tall as the current tallest rollercoaster in the world and a good bit shorter than Europes tallest so outside of the UK it’s very very average.

So it has the best coaster line up if we scrap one ride and modify another one?

Hyperia is not going to have a world wide draw, it’s not even half as tall as the current tallest rollercoaster in the world and a good bit shorter than Europes tallest so outside of the UK it’s very very average.
It will certainly have a Worldwide draw! Even if it only lasts a season, there is 'hype' from overseas for this coaster. Surely overall ride experience trumps height and length also? We are seeing some relatively unique elements coming to fruition with Hyperia but until it has been completed and the sensations/forces experienced, we can only speculate its success/failings.

Also, I did say 'has serious potential' not 'already has the strongest line up' 😊

It will certainly have a Worldwide draw! Even if it only lasts a season, there is 'hype' from overseas for this coaster. Surely overall ride experience trumps height and length also? We are seeing some relatively unique elements coming to fruition with Hyperia but until it has been completed and the sensations/forces experienced, we can only speculate its success/failings.

Also, I did say 'has serious potential' not 'already has the strongest line up' 😊

Not sure it has anything particularly unique, the outbanked turn is almost done to death on coasters these days.

Your mega geeks will travel to it but I don’t think your average enthusiast is traveling from America just for Hyperia. Anyway this is a bit off topic.