• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Eurovision 2019

I’m really disappointed with Eurovision this year. So many of the entries are just bland and uninteresting. I hope to God that Sweden choose a decent entry in the Melodifestivalen final next weekend (Wiktoria pl0x). Iceland’s song is just so ridiculously bonkers that I can’t see it not qualifying - especially as it’s in the weaker semi-final. In a couple of weeks, we should have all 41 competing songs for this year, and I believe it won’t be long after that until the running order for the semi-finals gets published. Bring it on.

Eurovision's official channel has published a recap of the songs in the first semi final.

Fantastic song, the chorus is excellent!

Sweden are so good at getting complete stage packages together. Their Eurovision song selection, Melodifestivalen, is frequently said to be the best national selection in Europe, and having watched the past two, I’m inclined to agree. Still don’t understand a flipping word of Swedish, mind.

Just want to take a moment to point out Portugal have entered this. I think it's more than a bit pants.

Melodifestivalen, is frequently said to be the best national selection in Europe, and having watched the past two, I’m inclined to agree. Still don’t understand a flipping word of Swedish, mind.
Well, one would assume that Melodifestivalen translates to “melody/song festival”. ;)

Well, one would assume that Melodifestivalen translates to “melody/song festival”. ;)
That IS what it translates to, yes. I was more meaning the presenters (obviously) speak in Swedish, and I can't understand a word they say. :p

You seem to have mistaken me for someone who gives a flying füčk. The only reason I tollerate this tripe is for the drinking game.

So, we've got an announcement regarding an interval act. Heavily rumoured for weeks, Madonna will be performing a two-song set in Tel Aviv in May.

Anyway, time for my long-awaited thoughts on the entries. Note that these are mainly based on the studio cuts as opposed to live performances. I've included some abbreviations, which are as follows.
GF - Grand Final
NF - National FInal
NQ - Non-qualification
RO - Running Order
SF - Semi-final

Semi Final 1

01 - Cyprus

In a weak SF, this stands out, and is a great opener. Resemblance to Fuego, but still good with a memorable hook, and Tamta’s vocals are excellent. Will surely qualify and end up in the top 10 at least.

02 - Montenegro

Good harmonies, and that’s it. The staging at the NF was so basic. It sounds like the song you’d hear over the credits of a rubbish faux-inspirational 90s B-movie. Staying in the SF.

03 - Finland
Darude is a huge name to appear at Eurovision. Of his and Sebastian’s 3 songs at the NF, this was by far the best. The staging concept there looks interesting, and should work in Tel Aviv. A bit early in the RO, but should still qualify.

04 - Poland

It just sounds like a group of women shout-singing, which is quite grating on the ears after a short while. They sing well in unison, to give them some credit, but a bit more harmony would be nice. Destined to stay in the SF, methinks.

05 - Slovenia

Sends me to sleep. The vocals are nice, but it’s simply not good enough for Eurovision. Even with good staging, I fear NQ beckons for Slovenia once again.

06 - Czech Republic

Not as good as Lie to Me, but still a solid package overall. It’s nice, though that isn’t always enough at Eurovision. I’m hopeful that it’ll qualify, but staging could well be key to its chances. Going after a sleepy song should help.

07 - Hungary

Joci is back only two years after finishing 8th in Kiev. As with his previous entry, I genuinely can’t understand why people like him. He sounds like he’s mumbling throughout the entire song, and it’s nowhere near as good as Origo. At risk of NQ.

08 - Belarus

It’s a better entry from Belarus, and ZENA does well live. I’ll fully admit that it irritates me a bit, but I have a suspicion that this may well sneak through into the GF, but we shall see.

09 - Serbia

An actually decent entry from Serbia, and it really surprised me. Nevena’s vocals are powerful, although she does sound like she’s straining a bit in places. No idea on staging, but regardless, I think this stands a good chance of qualifying.

10 - Belgium

After last year’s failure, I expected Belgium to return with a bang. Whether Eliot will get through to the GF or not is debatable. It’s a decent song, but I’m not sure how well it’ll do. Staging could be key, and it may be drowned out by what’s either side of it.

11 - Georgia

Oh dear, Georgia, what’s going on? You’ve gone from Nina Sublatti in 2015 (my favourite Georgian entry) to this? Oto’s vocals are great, but the rest of the song is utter trash. NQ beckons again.

12 - Australia

Kate’s vocals are outstanding. Opera doesn’t often work at Eurovision, but it seems to here when mixed with dance beats. The staging from the NF will change for Tel Aviv, but I’m sure it’ll be fine. Top 10 for Australia again? Hopefully!

13 - Iceland

What. The hell. Is this. It’s completely and utterly bonkers, and I love it for that. Iceland haven’t qualified since 2014, and I’m sure this will finally break that unfortunate cycle. Plus it’s a year ending in 9, so it’s Iceland’s turn to finish 2nd again. :p

14 - Estonia

I really like this. The chord pattern resembles One Direction’s ‘One Thing’, but that’s fine. It was well-staged at the NF, and I see that transferring to Tel Aviv with relative ease. Should qualify, but going between two of this year’s odder entries is an issue.

15 - Portugal

This has got rave reviews from Eurofans, but I just don’t get it for some reason. The singing is dreadfully off-key and irritating, and the staging makes zero sense. Dare I say it, but I think Portugal might be staring NQ in the face yet again.

16 - Greece

This is a better effort from Greece than they’ve put together in the past few years. I like it. Katerine’s vocals are stunningly powerful, and it’d be incredibly worthy of a place in the GF, which I’m sure it’ll get.

17 - San Marino

Everyone loves San Marino for always trying, despite having not much cash or success. Serhat has returned this year, and I’m being honest when I say he could qualify, which – let’s face it – is the main aim for San Marino. Closing the SF will definitely help.

Semi-Final 2

01 - Armenia

THIS is more like it, Armenia, and a great SF opener! Srbuk is fantastic, and I can see this being incredibly well-staged. Definitely qualifying, and I reckon it should challenge for the top 10. Potential dark horse for the victory?

02 - Ireland

I’ve got a soft spot for Ireland, and Sarah is good. However, I honestly don’t think that even with staging, this will make it out of the SF, which is a crying shame. Going so early in the RO, and right after Armenia, won’t help.

03 - Moldova

Great vocals, but I have my doubts as to how it could be staged in order to help it to the GF. I doubt it’ll do as well as their 2017 and 2018 entries, and I do believe it’ll struggle to get out of the SF. Which pains me to say, because I love Moldova!

04 - Switzerland

Oh YES, Switzerland! This is sure to see them in the GF for the first time since 2014 and achieve their best finish in YEARS. The song’s very upbeat, it’s got a superb position in the RO, and Luca’s vocals are great. Plus he’s not exactly bad to look at…:hearteyes:

05 - Latvia

Ugh. Boring. Sends me to sleep. Yet another bad entry from Latvia. There’s a reason it was put after Switzerland in the RO. If this somehow ends up qualifying, I’ll be mightily surprised. It does not deserve to go to the GF.

06 - Romania

This one’s been a slow burner for me, but I’ve grown to appreciate it. I do have my doubts about its qualification chances, especially in the tougher SF, but it’s in with a chance. Especially after following the diabolical Latvia.

07 - Denmark

As with the Czech Republic, this is a sweet entry that was staged well at the NF, but I just don’t know if it’ll stand out enough in this SF to qualify. I’d love for it to go through, though.

08 - Sweden

The clear Melfest winner, getting top marks from all juries for the first time in Melfest history. Neither Loreen in 2012 nor Måns in 2015 managed that! It’s an anthemic song that will surely see Sweden go through to the GF and achieve yet another good finish.

09 - Austria

Pænda has a good song, and her vocals are great, but I have my doubts that it’ll stand out enough in what is arguably the tougher SF. My suspicions are she’ll be relying on staging. Intriguing choice to close the first half, too.

10 - Croatia

Roko’s voice is great – there’s no denying that. However, it just feel like he’s shout-singing in the chorus, which is quite off-putting. Also, the wings from the NF staging? How do they make any sense? NQ likely.

11 - Malta

The component parts of the song are great, and Michela’s vocals are solid. However, there’s one problem in my eyes – the transition into the chorus doesn’t seem to fit. Not as bad as Norway 2016, mind! It should qualify, but I wouldn’t be disappointed if it didn’t.

12 - Lithuania

It builds slowly throughout, which isn’t a bad thing. I’ve got a soft spot for this one. It may be slightly cheesy and repetitive, but I think it works, and Jurij gives a good performance. Going before Russia might harm its chances of qualification.

13 - Russia

Russia are going all-out for the win by bringing Sergey Lazarev back. His vocals are great as usual, and the song lends itself to some creative staging. I’m sure it’ll qualify, but I do think it may be a tad overrated. Should still do well, though.

14 - Albania

I love the atmosphere Jonida creates with this. It’s in the harder SF, which is a problem, but Italy are voting in this SF, so some points could come from the Albanian diaspora there. Want it to qualify, but it’s between Russia and Norway in the RO.

15 - Norway

It feels slightly dated, but KEiiNO have a great song, and they are brilliant live. The staging in the NF was very good, and the bits of the lyrics which are in Northern Sami are well-integrated. I’d be very surprised if this didn’t qualify.

16 - Netherlands

The early favourite builds slowly, but I’m very impressed with it. Duncan’s vocals are great, though he ought to work on his staging. That could be incredibly vital as to how well it does in May, but it’s surely going through to the GF. Will it win? Possibly.

17 - North Macedonia

Absolutely stunning vocals from Tamara. The song has a great message behind it as well. I’m concerned that it doesn’t build enough for it to have a greater chance at getting into the GF, which is a big shame.

18 - Azerbaijan

Very avant-garde and unusual. Chingiz has a great voice, there can be no denying that, but I’m really unsure as to how well it’ll do in the SF. I’d hope that it’ll get through to the GF, but it depends on staging. Interesting choice to close the SF, too.

Automatic Qualifiers

France

This is a good song with a good message behind it, and Bilal’s switches between English and French are very smooth. Bilal’s diction in both language is excellent. I do happen to think it’s a bit overrated, but it should get to at least mid-table.

Germany

S!sters’ harmonies are great, but my issue is that when they’re singing together in the chorus, they’re trying to outdo each other in terms of volume. I’ve got concerns as to how well this will do, and I sadly think the bottom 5 is beckoning.

Israel

Kobi’s voice is stunning. The song itself is decent, but it’s unlikely to win. A country that wins one year doesn’t usually send a great song the next (Sweden being the usual exception). Hosting’s expensive! It does have a well-timed key change, too.

Italy

I’m not sure what to make of this one. Mahmood’s got a good voice, but I just don’t think I get the song. It doesn’t feel as good as it could be. As with France, I think it’s a bit overrated, but it should still get mid-table at the very least.

Spain

WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN, SPAIN?! This is easily their best entry in years, and is so wonderfully upbeat and party-like. Provided the staging is good enough, I reckon Miki could crack the top 10 or maybe even the top 5 with this!

United Kingdom

Michael’s got a great voice, and the song itself isn’t too bad either, though it’s a tad repetitive in places. It won’t win, but if the staging is improved from the NF, and if Michael sorts out his unnecessary hand movements, we should get a mid-table finish.

So who do I think will qualify? From semi-final 1, I'm going for the following:
  • Cyprus
  • Finland
  • Czech Republic
  • Belarus
  • Serbia
  • Australia
  • Iceland
  • Estonia
  • Greece
  • San Marino
From semi-final 2, I'm going for the following:
  • Armenia
  • Switzerland
  • Romania
  • Austria
  • Malta
  • Russia
  • Albania
  • Norway
  • Netherlands
  • Azerbaijan
As for who I think will win? It's tight, but I think it'll be a fight between Switzerland, Sweden, Russia and the Netherlands, with Armenia being a potential dark horse. Anyway - bring on the pre-parties over the next few weeks and rehearsals beginning at the start of May!