• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Eurovision 2023

It's catchy, sounds like one of those songs you heard on holiday. But, I don't think it has that sort of "wow" factor that Sam Ryder had last year, it's a bit on the bland side for me. Think it'll do ok, but it will get lost amongst the other unique stuff being entered this year.

To compliment this. Here's Austria's entry.

So it's the final of Melodifestivalen tonight. In terms of YouTube views on the entrants in the final, Loreen has 2.7m. The next highest is Marcus & Martinus with...603k. I don't think it's quite a foregone conclusion at this point, but I'd be very surprised if Loreen doesn't win.

We have our entry...

Mae Muller is our chosen artist with "I wrote a song"

Sounds good but unsure on how it's going to translate to a stage. Hopefully we can pull something off and get a good result, I don't think it's a winner though.

Pretty underwhelmed with this one, not really my style of music tbf but it just sounds like every other bland, autotuned song heard on the radio. One can't help wondering if there's a deliberate attempt not to do too well here to avoid the expense of hosting for a second year running...

Yeah, the UK acts song is OK but nothing special.

Read there holding a massive outdoor event for Eurovision in Liverpool by St George's Hall on the Saturday with a capacity of 30,000.

The 2 only good things that will be good about this years Eurovision is it being hosted from Liverpool and Scott Mills involvement.

Not really?

Eurovision is great fun. Still can't decide if I prefer Poe Poe Poe or Cha Cha Cha.

Scott mills is a bit rubbish imo.

Well, Loreen smashed it out of the park again tonight. Eurovisionworld has her chance of winning Melfest at 83%. And rising.

Finally a eurovision adjacent event I can get on board with.

Local gig institution 10 Bands 10 Minutes is back for a Eurovision Special with ABBA as the band in question.

In short 10 local bands each get a 10 minute set were they'll play an ABBA cover plus likely another song (probably one of their own).

Used to be brilliant back in the day doing ones based around Green Day, Weezer, Bruce Springsteen, and plenty of others.

I think it's about time when I bore you all to tears - I mean give you my brief reviews of each entry. They'll be in the running order of each semi, with the automatic qualifiers being in their own section after Semi-Final 2. Just a few abbreviations so they're within the character limit for Twitter.

GF - Grand final
SF - Semi-final
NF - National final (such as Sweden's Melodifestivalen)
NQ - Non-qualification/non-qualifier

OK - with that out of the way, here we go!

Semi-Final 1

01 – Norway (‘Queen of Kings’ by Alessandra)
The perfect opener. It has energy, it’s memorable, and it was brilliantly performed by Alessandra at the NF. Staging could perhaps do with some work to make it pop out a bit more, but this is qualifying and should be on for the top 10.

02 – Malta (‘Dance (Our Own Party)’ by The Busker)
I do often like Malta, and this is no exception, but I suspect it’s been given the death slot for a reason. As nice as it is, I can see this getting swallowed up by other songs in a difficult semi-final. Even with fewer countries, I think they’re going to struggle.

03 – Serbia (‘Samo mi se spava’ by Luke Black)
I’m not gonna lie, this is a bit weird. It’s decent enough, but it just feels a bit too discordant for my liking, and the staging at the Serbian NF was strange. Then again, people seem to like it, so it could have a decent shot of qualifying.

04 – Latvia (‘Aijā’ by Sudden Lights)
5/4 isn’t a time signature we see much of in general, and mixing it with 3/4 works very well. Sounds good, is performed well, and despite it being in a tough semi, I think it’s a dark horse to qualify.

05 – Portugal (‘Ai coraçao’ by Mimicat)
More of this, please, Portugal. Mimicat’s a charismatic performer, and she gives this song a lot of character. People often sleep on Portugal, and this is unfair here. Mimicat fully deserves to qualify for the GF.

06 – Ireland (‘We Are One’ by Wild Youth)
Bit of a yawnfest from Ireland again, which is a shame, as the group themselves do seem like decent people. Doesn’t get you very far in Eurovision if your song’s boring, though.

07 – Croatia (‘Mama ŠČ’ by Let 3)
Referring to Putin as a ‘crocodile psychopath’ is sure to get people interested, and being placed between two more sedate entries will help Let 3 stand out. I see no chance that this won’t qualify, and it could give Croatia their best result for years.

08 – Switzerland (‘Watergun’ by Remo Forrer)
Switzerland do seem to like young-ish men with ballads in recent years. This doesn’t really seem all that memorable, and going right after the madness of Croatia will hurt its chances of qualification.

09 – Israel (‘Unicorn’ by Noa Kirel)
It’s doing well in the odds, but I’m struggling to see what all the fuss is about. I’m puzzled as to how this is going to be staged, which isn’t a good sign.

10 – Moldova (‘Soarele şi luna’ by Pasha Parfeny)
One of 2012’s returnees. It’s catchy to an extent, and Pasha is a pretty good performer, but I’m concerned that it’ll be overshadowed by one of his 2012 alumni. Speaking of which…

11 – Sweden (‘Tattoo’ by Loreen)
Loreen isn’t a singer. She’s an artist. Totally flawless at Melfest. Not even a stage invader during the heats could put her off. If they sort the staging so it works in Liverpool, we might have our 2023 winner – she may be only the second artist to win Eurovision twice.

12 – Azerbaijan (‘Tell Me More’ by TuralTuranX)
Yawn. Anyone going after Loreen would struggle. I really don’t see a path to the final for Azerbaijan, and it’s looking like this could be their second NQ.

13 – Czech Republic (‘My Sister’s Crown’ by Vesna)
Given that the UK’s hosting on behalf of Ukraine, Vesna have done well to incorporate Ukrainian into their song. The harmonies are very good as well, and I think it’s a pretty good bet to qualify.

14 – Netherlands (‘Burning Daylight’ by Mia Nicolai & Dion Cooper)
Pleasant song, but a bit boring, and the live performances haven’t done Mia or Dion very many favours. Might end up NQ, which is a shame.

15 – Finland (‘Cha Cha Cha’ by Käärijä)
The perfect closer. This is wacky, wonderful, and superbly performed by Käärijä. I don’t normally go for rap, but this is an exception. Definitely qualifying for the GF, and I think it’ll very likely also be fighting for the win.

Semi-Final 2

01 – Denmark (‘Breaking My Heart’ by Reiley)
Feels like a strange choice to open SF2. It’s pleasant enough, and should help to draw people in. Will Denmark qualify for the first time since 2019? It might not be easy, but I think they’ve got a decent shot.

02 – Armenia (‘Future Lover’ by Brunette)
It’s unusual for a song placed second in the RO to have good odds for qualifying. It’s good, and Brunette performs well, so it could qualify – especially given it’s in the weaker SF.

03 – Romania (‘D.G.T (Off and On)’ by Theodor Andrei)
The song? Not too bad. The artist? Good. The staging at the NF? A hot mess. If Romania wants to get to the GF, then the staging needs to be sorted. Big time. WRS broke Romania’s NQ streak, but I fear that was a flash in the pan.

04 – Estonia (‘Bridges’ by Alika)
We don’t have that many female ballads this year, and Alika makes a refreshing change from Romania. Takes a while to get going, but when it does, we’re left with a great voice. It’s a simple melody, but it’s good, and I think it’ll qualify.

05 – Belgium (‘Because of You’ by Gustaph)
It’s on the camp side, which will help it to stand out following Estonia. While I didn’t like it at first, it’s grown on me, but this isn’t quite enough for Eurovision. Bit of a borderline qualifier, but it’s got a decent shout.

06 – Cyprus (‘Break a Broken Heart’ by Andrew Lambrou)
Andrew’s a good performer, and the power of the song should help it out. Staging-wise, I’m not sure what they’ll do, but I think Andromache’s NQ last year was a blip in terms of performances.

07 – Iceland (‘Power’ by Diljá)
As much as I like this, I do wonder if the chorus is a bit too shouty to really connect with voters, plus Diljá doesn’t seem to do much on the stage. Borderline qualifier for me.

08 – Greece (‘What They Say’ by Victor Vernicos)
Victor is 16, but his voice makes him sound MUCH older. Takes a bit of time to get going, but it’s impressive when it does. Should qualify relatively comfortably.

09 – Poland (‘Solo’ by Blanka)
Sounds like something you’d hear in a dodgy Spanish shopping centre in the early 2000s. It’s really not good. It feels so bland and dated, and Blanka’s live performances haven’t been wonderful. Not hopeful of Poland’s chances this year.

10 – Slovenia (‘Carpe diem’ by Joker Out)
Best song Slovenia have sent since 2011. Easily. Joker Out are really likeable, and they perform the song well. Has to qualify for me, and could be Slovenia’s best since 2011. Might even crack the top 10!

11 – Georgia (‘Echo’ by Iru)
It’s noisy, and the lyrics are somewhat…interesting, shall we say. And yet the fans seem to be really liking it. I’m not so sure myself, but the odds on it qualifying are good, so maybe it’s in with a shot.

12 – San Marino (‘Like An Animal’ by Piqued Jacks)
We all like an underdog. San Marino, for a small country, put on a huge NF. And they’ve ended up with…this. It’s just a bit boring, and will likely be overshadowed by other artists in the weaker SF.

13 – Austria (‘Who the Hell is Edgar?’ by Teya & Salena)
It’s taken on something of a memetic quality among the fanbase. I’m not as big a fan of it as some, but I do respect it, and think it should qualify without too much difficulty & finish respectably.

14 – Albania (‘Duje’ by Albina and Familja Kelmendi)
With the SFs being televote-only, this could help Albania due to its widespread diaspora. The song’s good, and the revamp after the NF helped. Could be a bit crowded on the stage with 6 people, but never underestimate Albania. They could surprise.

15 – Lithuania (‘Stay’ by Monika Linkytė)
I do often like Lithuania, but this just feels a little bit safe and boring. Monika’s a good singer, but the song doesn’t really seem to do all that much. Might qualify, but I do have my doubts.

16 – Australia (‘Promise’ by Australia)
Once again, it’s a great choice to close the SF. Something with a bit of energy should really help it out going into the voting, and Voyager are great performers. Very good chance of qualifying, and I think top 10 is realistic.

Automatic Qualifiers

19 – Ukraine (‘Heart of Steel’ by TVORCHI)
It’s an interesting one from Ukraine this year. Not my kind of music, but they could quite feasibly get a lot of support from the televote again. Likely to finish in the top half, which is perfectly respectable.

26 – United Kingdom (‘I Wrote A Song’ by Mae Muller)
The UK closes again. It’s upbeat, and somewhat cheery, despite the subject matter. Mae seems lovely, and usually performs pretty consistently, so I think mid-table would be a good result. Not easy to follow on from Sam Ryder, after all!

France (‘Évidemment’ by La Zarra)
It’s like a classy French disco. I don’t think it’s France’s best effort, but it’s definitely one of their better entries in the past decade. La Zarra performs with charisma, and that’ll help elevate the song during the GF.

Germany (‘Blood and Glitter’ by Lord of the Lost)
Reminds me of Rammstein. People are sleeping on this, and I don’t know why. They did well with limited staging at the NF, and will be expanding it for the GF. Juries mightn’t like it, but the televote could. Still, it’s better than many recent German entries!

Italy (‘Due vite’ by Marco Mengoni)
Marco’s back again after 2013. Italian ballads are interesting in terms of results, but the fact that Marco’s a good performer will help them out. It’ll be good to see how they stage it, as that could be key to its chances.

Spain (‘Eaea’ by Blanca Paloma)
This feels very Spanish, which I think is kinda the point. It’s a chant to Blanca’s late grandmother, and you get that feeling. It’s hypnotic, and draws you in. The three minutes seem to go by quicker than expected. Could be a dark horse, this one.

The tie in events around Liverpool start from 1st May. Manager to get tickets to see The Lightning Seeds in the Cavern, and Miles Kane in the Jacaranda.

The tie in events around Liverpool start from 1st May. Manager to get tickets to see The Lightning Seeds in the Cavern, and Miles Kane in the Jacaranda.
Worryingly rail strikes have been announced for dates in May and June, which could hinder people getting to those events.

Seeing The Coral in Birkenhead as well now next week.

Visited the city centre last week and had a wander round the Albert Dock and visited the Tate Gallery.

Took a few photos of the art installations that are in place for Eurovision.

IMG_20230429_145947.jpg
Gaia - on the inner Dock, really made up with how I've got the Three Graces in the background.

IMG_20230429_144522.jpg

One of the 12 Ukrainian song birds dotted around the city center, each one representing a different region of Ukraine. This one taken just on the edge of Liverpool One.

Managed to pick the afternoon with torrential rain to first visit the Eurovision Fan Zone thingy on the Pier Head.

Fun to be there for an hour or so seeing a few random bands though, bought a few bits of merch as well!

IMG_20230508_154401.jpg

IMG_20230508_161030.jpg

I wonder if one day that, you'll say that, you care
If you say you love me madly, I'll gladly
Be there
Like a puppet on a string…
Jeez I'm old. Can actually remember it...allowed to stay up to watch something late night for the first time.

But nothing tops Johnny Logan though.

Popping down tomorrow since I've got the day off, hoping the weather is a lot better than it was for you today 😂
I hope so, was only there a few hours before I headed over to the wirral for the United By Music gig by The Coral.

Hopefully be able to pop in again tomorrow before seeing The Lightning Seeds in The Cavern, and after Miles Kane on Friday.

There's a merch stall in the Pier Head plenty of t shirts, hoodies, scarves, cups. Went for the magnet (£5), pin badge (£5), and lanyard (£8).

IMG_20230508_231300.jpg