• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Family areas and attractions....lack of?

CoasterCrazyChris

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
With the success of CBeebies Land, an area exclusively designed for young children and their parents providing the very real possibility that it may swallow up Adventure Land and Spinball in the near future (a family attraction) it got me thinking how much does Alton Towers actually offer in terms of true family attractions?

By 'family' I am referring to rides that have a broadest appeal as possible and are suitable for everyone from young children to grandparents. As a theme park claiming to be a true family resort, it seems that Alton Towers ride offering is increasingly polarising between young children (Cloud Cuckoo Land, CBeebies) and thrill seekers (Thirteen, Sub-Terra, The Smiler). They don't seem to be very good at developing decent RIDES that target the middle ground.

We all know they attempted it with Thirteen, but I don't think that anyone could truly consider a ride with a freefall drop in the dark, backwards helix and marketed as the 'ultimate rollercoaster' to be suitable for young children (3-8 years) or older visitors (65 plus).

Alton Towers is still relying on rides that are 20 years+ such as Rapids, Mine Train, Log Flume, Duel and Blade which are increasingly ageing to entertain family groups instead of building proper new rides. The last real family ride was Hex, now 14 years ago and even Spinball (does not really have broad appeal) now over a decade ago.

They stick in the likes of Haunted Hollow, Sharkbait Reef and Ice Age, but these provide little more than 'interactive' fillers on a rainy day rather than must-do attractions. They gave us Battle Galleons in 2008, suitable for all yet appealing to no-one for all but a few days of the year!

Alton Towers desperately needs to invest in a headline attraction that is not a thrill roller-coaster or a kids IP. Another year like 1992 is desperately needed!

:)

I don't think there's a lack of family areas, they just need to be built upon. Gloomy Wood hasn't seen any real investment since opening, the same goes for Katanga Canyon, but at least that area is more or less complete.

Gloomy Wood could do with a family coaster going through the woods, maybe in and out of tunnels with zombies etc. The only other real opportunity for a family ride is a Charlie re-theme, one done well go be the key attraction for everyone! :)

CoasterCrazyChris said:
By 'family' I am referring to rides that have a broadest appeal as possible and are suitable for everyone from young children to grandparents.

This is exactly what a family attraction should be, and you are right it is something not seen at Alton Towers for many years. Personally I think the whole designation of 'kids area', 'thrill area' etc. is crazy, as all it means is most families have to split up, which means families cannot enjoy their day together, and not to mention is more stressful.

Taking this into account, you have two options, one being rides the whole family will enjoy e.g the Runaway Mine Train, Rapids, Duel, Flume. The other option is placing rides for younger children near thrill rides (preferably alongside a parent swap system) as seen in the original design of PortAventura. If you can merge both options together then you have a winning combination. At Alton Towers the main family attractions are all in one place, so once a family has been on these attractions together they have no option but to split up, whereas if something for younger ones (even just a good play area) was provided near thrill attractions, it would be a whole lot easier for families.

Driving School
Heave Ho
Battle Galleons
Charlie and the Chocolate factory

They are probably the the most significant family rides installed since Hex, Th13teen is a family ride as it does have broad appeal but i think it was executed badly. If i'm honest though i reckon SW8 will be a family coaster.

If i was in charge my priority would now be

1) Kiddy Coaster
2) maintain thrill market with a good thrill flat (or 2)
3) Family Dark Ride
4) SW family coaster

The problem with Towers though (well Merlin) is their development is reactionary so they fly between family and thrill wildly based on what ever they have forgotten about the previous through years instead of having a well thought out development plan.

Unfortunately I think true family rides is something that only Disney really offer, as that was Walt's aim (he was fed up with sitting on a bench while his daughter was on a carousel). Rides such as Pirates of the Carribean, Small World, Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, Toy Story Mania.

I think the only things that get close at AT are Charlie (the concept, not the actual finished ride!), Sharkbait Reef (not really a ride), possibly Duel and The Runaway Train. Most of AT can be split into Kiddie and Thrill. Legoland does it better with Atlantis, The Dragon and Laser Raiders but also has some areas such as Driving School that are too kiddie.

I would love to see more Fantasyland style rides in the UK but the UK parks seem to be averse to building indoor attractions.

I think the problem is the void between being a toddler, and being tall enough to ride the big rides. Cbeebies is too babyish for the 6-8 market. Yet there is very little in the way for that age group. Yes it can be said that Charlie, Hex, Duel etc. can be those rides, but they are still way short. Charlie is good of you know the story. Hex can be dull, at that age some wouild rather just do the vault and get on with it. Duel. Scary for some all though a lot would just like the gun.

They need something that will be a warm up for Nemmy etc., yet not to crap like a kiddie coaster. If they can find this they are onto a winner

Yeah If they got something in between sonic and runaway mine train and a few family flats like Enterprise and maybe something like air race which is accessible to younger guests due to the 1.2m height restriction. A mack young star or Ben ten style ride could work as everyone seems to have a smile on there face when they are on it.Maybe they could get a Bobsled or a woodie ala grand national somewhere in the park,I don't know where they would go though

Yeah If they got something in between sonic and runaway mine train and a few family flats like Enterprise and maybe something like air race which is accessible to younger guests due to the 1.2m height restriction. A mack young star or Ben ten style ride could work as everyone seems to have a smile on there face when they are on it.Maybe they could get a Bobsled or a woodie ala grand national somewhere in the park,I don't know where they would go though

But those are all still thrill rides with low height restrictions not family rides.

Need a better Charlie. Something kids can relate to. Doctor who etc. Not sure what the girlies are into. Grand national style good idea. But its been done and you cant beat the original. Better log flume more like the one at flamingo land. A few good flats that aren't to fairground . What would be perfect would be a new black hole

Hi I am from Plymouth and have not been to alton towers for 15 years so i bet a lot has changed. The local theme parks close to me (crealy/woodlands)has been great for a family day out. (good for kids up to about 12).
My daughter is now 10 and is tall enough to do the thrill rides at alton towers so now i think it will be worth me taking the long trip up.
some rides at crealy maximus,tidal wave,flying dutchman,grand prix,vortex,aqua blaster,safari train,pony ride arena,gold rush.
The gold rush kept my little one happy for hours and would be good in an area where the older members are trying to get on the thrill rides.
some rides at woodlands sea dragon swing ship,rock n roll tugbout,bumper boats,sidewinder water coaster,tornado toboggan run.
As i have said i have not been to alton towers for 15 years so am not sure what rides are good for the 6-8 year group but by the sounds of it alton towers could do with a new zone with rides like the ones from crealy and woodlands.
I am going up for 3 days with my daughter to alton from the 28 july and am very much looking forward to the trip :~)

Last edited:
I think sector could do with a low height restriction flat, maybe an air race in a building on the submission site as I have seen a lot of 5 to 8 year olds on the Drayton one, I say put it indoors because it could have projections and strobes plus the cars wouldn't be as visible and I can't think of a theme for the cars but it could be themed around Marmalising riders or something linked to the sanctuary but not as scary so young kids could ride.