• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fastrack - more being sold?

In reply to the original point of more Fastracks being sold, I was in the main queue for Sub Terra on Saturday and they seemed to fill the whole bay with the Fastrack line before letting on anyone from the main line. I have no problem with Fastracks, and I am happy to use them myself on occasion, but in my opinion there should always be more people from the main line let on each time. It's not unacceptable to ask FT holders to wait 10-15 minutes.
On a more positive note, when I was walking past the Sales and Information booth near to the hole in one game, someone was attempting to buy a FT for a particular ride and the salesperson told them not to bother as there was only a 5 minute wait at that time. I thought that was an example of good service, as he could quite easily have fleeced the poor person! :)

Meat Pie said:
Whether it fits your relative perception or my relative perception of wealth is neither here nor there. There are vast numbers of people who cannot afford to buy it and those people are excluded. If you buy fast track, you become an elitist deciding to take an option which is closed to many. That is not fair. You may not find it a 'problem' but all those people unable to purchase that 'option' have to suffer the consequences of those selfish few who do buy the tickets.

The old fast track system is far superior because it isn't driven by profits meaning there is no economic discrimination and there is no incentive for the park to distribute more then are necessary.
How exactly do you become an elitist?

I somewhat find your comments very rude when you are accusing Fastrack purchasers of being 'selfish' towards those that cannot afford the perk...

I remember the days (not so long ago) when there were just two kiosks on park which sold fasttrack, where there was such demand each had a half hour queue and all tickets were gone by midday.

Yes, they were charging for them but it worked because they were limiting the supply to what could be efficiently handled by the rides.

:)

Pixie-Ro said:
In reply to the original point of more Fastracks being sold, I was in the main queue for Sub Terra on Saturday and they seemed to fill the whole bay with the Fastrack line before letting on anyone from the main line. I have no problem with Fastracks, and I am happy to use them myself on occasion, but in my opinion there should always be more people from the main line let on each time. It's not unacceptable to ask FT holders to wait 10-15 minutes.

That's the way the new system works I believe (At least that's how Thorpe do it now). They sell the tickets with a time printed on them, and people can wait in the actual Fastrack queue as long as they like, but will only be allowed to enter the ride during the times printed on their ticket.

I guess it is better, as it means that Fastrack guests only board the rides at certain times, meaning there's never really a huge Fastrack queue which is eating into every run of each ride all day. Instead they are all absorbed in one or two rides, every hour(?)

They probably need to look into how many tickets are sold in each timeslot on Sub-Terra though if it's having a detrimental impact on the main queue. It's no use saying "by using timeslots the average main queue will be reduced by x number of minutes" if they are going to sell more tickets at each time. It'd change the statistics and calculations quite drastically. It's also no use having a flat number of tickets to sell on all attractions, as the differences in throughputs will also impact the effect Fastrack has.

They do seem to sell some time slot fastrack at tower but they also do have tickets that can be used anytime. I think Thorpe is a bit different, im sure the majority of their fast track is done on a hour basis.

I was under the impression that the "Offline" ticketing which grants guests access to a ride at any time are only issued in certain circumstances at Towers (I.E. Complaints, or offers like the letters some of us got at FHT), an that most tickets purchased normally are subject to timeslots?

However, as I said earlier, if they are not Towers need to ask themselves why not. It's no use having the timeslots in place if they are going to sell tickets which completely bypass it.

I was lead to believe it works virtually the same at Thorpe too.

James said:
Meat Pie said:
Whether it fits your relative perception or my relative perception of wealth is neither here nor there. There are vast numbers of people who cannot afford to buy it and those people are excluded. If you buy fast track, you become an elitist deciding to take an option which is closed to many. That is not fair. You may not find it a 'problem' but all those people unable to purchase that 'option' have to suffer the consequences of those selfish few who do buy the tickets.

The old fast track system is far superior because it isn't driven by profits meaning there is no economic discrimination and there is no incentive for the park to distribute more then are necessary.
How exactly do you become an elitist?

I somewhat find your comments very rude when you are accusing Fastrack purchasers of being 'selfish' towards those that cannot afford the perk...

Every park guest has already bought access to the rides, you are elitist if you then decide to disregard these other customers by purchasing a queue jump ticket.

I find the sense of entitlement that someone must have to purchase such a ticket to be rude as it shows little consideration for everyone who has already paid for access to the park.

I wouldn't say it's rude or elitist. Alton Towers are selling fastracks and the guests that use them have to pay a lot of money for them, on top of everything else. Don't blame them, blame Alton Towers / Merlin for operating fastrack sales in such a manner.

I mean, you have to laugh when people use fastracks for rides that don't even need it, or when there's no queue at all. More fool them, I say. :p

Oh im not too sure, I have never bought fast track from towers, only had it free before. When I tried to get the free half term fast track I was told for TH13TEEN and RITA it would be valid all day, but for Air and Sonic it would have a time slot.

I dont think its elitist or irresponsible of people to purchase fasttrack. Alton Towers are offering the service which people chose to utilise. If people were doing it and going against the park rules then that would be different.

When I go to the petrol station I buy standard unleaded, theres the option of premium unleaded to purchase which is better for your car*, I dont buy it because I chose not to, I dont mind people that do. Its an option offered to them by the petrol station at a premium.

(* - I assume, I actually have no idea what it does :p ).

--
Can we not get into the argument of whether it is fundamentally wrong or right, as its not an option any of us have any control over while Alton themselves make this available.

Re: Fastrack - more being sold?

I dislike fastrack for the simple reason that as a non fastrack user, I have to wait longer!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

BigAl - I primarily blame Alton Towers for offering such a service, but people also have a personal responsibility for their own decision to choose this option. It's much like the whole Jimmy Carr tax loophole topic in Corner Coffee where I argued that just because an action is legal/allowed that does not make that action morally justifiable.

I think people should consider the implications of their actions and not just what their personal benefit will be.

oldgitben - I think that that is a misrepresenstative analogy because when you pay for access to the park, you do not expect prioritized customers to hinder the service that you have payed for. The fast track 'product' has a direct negative effect on the standard ticket price 'product'. Where as the person who purchases the premium petrol isn't having any negative effect on the standard petrol customers.

Also, whilst you could be making a point about the economic discrimination aspect as being the same in your analogy, I would also argue that that situation is once again very different. A better analogy would be, there are two types of banking accounts at a bank, one for wealthier customers and one for less wealthy customers. The wealthier account comes with the perk that allows you to push aside anyone waiting in line to get their money out of a cash machine, and the other doesn't.

I see that as the same situation and I find it hard to understand how that can be justifiable. Just wait your turn like everyone else!

--

Also, if you want this discussion to end here, I'm happy to do so, but I would like to say that whilst we have no control over Alton offering this service, we have complete control over whether we decide to use it.

Edit: I left a horrendous number of grammatical errors in this post, hopefully all of which I've now removed. Still, I can only but apologise for these oversights.

Meat Pie said:
BigAl - I primarily blame Alton Towers for offering such a service, but people also have a personal responsibility for their own decision to choose this option. It's much like the whole Jimmy Carr tax loophole topic in Corner Coffee where I argued that just because an action is legal/allowed that does not make that action morally justifiable.

I think people should consider the implications of their actions and not just what their personal benefit will be.

But nobody that buys fastrack is exploiting anyone. And talking about people being selfish and not thinking about what their actions will do to others; smoking wherever and whatever around the park is a bigger problem, in my opinion.

As for fastracks, I think the phone idea sounds great. I mean, they're never going to give them away free to those that get there first ever again, but timed slots only and use of modern technology could really improve the system. God knows it needs it! :p

There is no moral justification for paid queue jumping in the way that it's sold at Merlin parks at the moment.

The company attempts to justify it by offering the service for people wishing to make their day extra special which could enhance a birthday celebration or whatever.

If that were the case then Fastrack should be sold in an adnace basis only, with say 100 being available each day of the season. They could be booked online by people looking to plan birthdays etc well in advance.

But of course they wouldn't do that as the reality is that Fastrack provides a valuable source of income, particularly from upselling.

Re: Fastrack - more being sold?

Gawd I hate these free 2 play games and their pay 2 win business models...

I even hate in when a full priced realese institutes an in-game store with pay 2 win....

Yay how this model is used in every single branch of entertainment!

I'm afraid guys this won't change, if people are willing to "pay 2 win" the casual players will be left in the dust.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

BigAl - I would beg to differ, the service of the 'standard' customers are exploited for the Fast Track customers. I happen to agree with you that smoking is a bigger issue, but I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned about more then one problem at a time. :)

Fredward - It's probably me being slow... but I'm finding it hard to follow you. Are you suggesting that a fast track system is the same as a pay to win game? Because if so, it's hardly fair because in terms of Alton, you already pay for access on your standard ticket before you pay for a fast track service. It's like paying to win but then bribing the game operator to make sure you win over the other paying players, which just stinks of unfairness.

However, I do agree with you that its very unlikely to change but I still think there is merit in discussing whether it ought to.

Fastrack - more being sold?

With the wi-fi couldn't they include an option to buy on the app? They could have timed slots (and limited)

For example you can still choose what package you want, then there is a choice of time slots for each ride.

I would think hour slots then 10 minuteslots would be easily understood and you could limit each slot depending on the ride. Oblivion could allow say 500 fast-tracks an hour. Rita, just 200, thirteen 400 etc. Basically still allowing a decent throughput for non fast track.

The thing is with a centralised system such as the app, it could be changed. If there is a short que for something, more ft's could be available. And vice versa if the que is exceptionally long.

Also the system would be aware when there are no slots left, and could stop selling further packages. Maybe packages could be flexible and change with the que trend of the day.

This would also save 1000's in wages each day and also save grace for non FTers who will still be moving in the que. Without the timed slots, it is pot luck if you are just in the que at the wrong time and 100 people with fastrscks turn up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meat Pie said:

It's all very well a good saying that however let's look at this in an honest and real way. The vast majority of people who go to a theme park are going so that they can have a good day. They are not going to ensure that everyone else there has the best day that they can. Secondly, there's a chance that a lot of people that do buy fastracks don't fully know how the system works and will not realise that them using the system could potentially hold up the main queueline. This is not their fault at all, if it is your first time to a theme park how can you be expected to know these things? We know because we go all of the time but we are in the minority. That is why I feel it is completely wrong to class everyone that uses fastracks as selfish.

Meat Pie said:
BigAl - I would beg to differ, the service of the 'standard' customers are exploited for the Fast Track customers. I happen to agree with you that smoking is a bigger issue, but I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned about more then one problem at a time. :)
Well there's no real reason to look at Fastracks in the manner that you are doing. If so, should you not also call into question express parking which makes those that cannot afford have to either walk or use the monorail? Or what about things like priority boarding with Ryanair? There are many other different examples too. None of these companies are exploiting loop holes. Many companies make money by giving extra pay-for options that allow you to be first or have something else, not just Alton Towers. It's not selling or buying them that is wrong, it's the way in which they are sold. If a limited amount were sold to suit the ride queues and some staff weren't forcing them at you at ride entrances, it would be much better.

So yes, people smoking wherever they like and whatever they like is far more important than this, although the way in which fastracks are handled at this moment in time is becoming a big problem as well, by the sounds of things.

I've just explained quite a few times exactly why fastracks should be looked at in this manner. No-one has yet been able to debunk that argument and so my point stands. You're right, express parking is also guilty of similar economic discrimination, also something that ought to be addressed but this topic is about fastrack and that is why I'm talking about fastrack instead of express parking ;). I cannot comment on Ryanair, having never been on a flight, I simply don't know what the priority boarding system is but if it detracts from the service of the standard customers, I should imagine my opinion would be the same as it is for fastrack.

If you think that I was suggesting that Alton are exploiting loopholes, you have completely and utterly missed the point of what I was saying. I never suggested any such thing, and all I did was make an argument about whether an individual carrying out a morally questionable but perfectly allowed action should be considered personally responsible for their decision to carry out said action. That is what I meant by comparing it to the Jimmy Carr issue. I'm sorry if I hadn't made that clear.

Are you telling me you would have no problem with the bank scenario I posted? It creates second class citizens of those who are unable to pay, and I refuse to let those who benefit from such a system to go unquestioned.

Fastrack shows how little Alton considers it's 'standard rate' customers and reveals the selfishness of customers who take this opportunity to get ahead of others.