• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Fear of Drop Towers

Drop towers are amongst my favourite type of rides, though the generic Intamin sit down ones can be a little bland, though the larger gyro drop models are better (Scream at Heide Park is the best I've done of this type). The stand up and floorless Intamin towers are a huge step up are pretty much the most intimidating ride type out there, but riding Detonator with a loose restraint is an absolutely incredible sensation that beats the lot!

I'm also a big fan of the indoor family/thrill towers such as Mystery Castle and ToT, but the ride experiences are so different to a standard freefall tower that they're not really comparable.

That ToT video annoys me, I've queued for two hours for that ride before and in that video they 'lol' because the ride was stopped because of them.

Incidentally if you have a seat to the side of the cage there are grab bars, there are also bars if you're in the front row
You can see my dad hanging onto them here (right hand side)
towerofterror.jpg

Hurakan Condor scares me because your whole weight is on the restraints for an extended period of time, especially if you are standing and they tilt you forward at the top. I am scared the restraints will fail. So scared that I end up holding on to the top of them.
tumblr_mzmhrfB5XI1squemzo1_1280.jpg

Next time I think I'll try it not holding on to anything.

I remember reading about Hurakan Condor when it was being constructed and the theme of the ride is supposed to be about 'offerings' being made to an angry god. Meaning you being thrown from the top of the tower as a sacrifice.

I don't know that I'll enjoy Falcon's Fury but I will do it out of sheer bloody-mindedness.

Just looking at that pic of Hurakan Condor gives me the shivers, I think I'm gonna give it a miss...

I hate drop towers.

I love roller coasters, heights don't bother me and I have no fear of falling. However the sensation you get on drop towers I find very unpleasant. I'd rather whore a roller coaster for a few hours over a drop tower any day!

I have a love-hate relationship with drop towers... I love the adrenaline rush afterwards, but the feeling of my innards heading north is a funny one!!

I think the most terrifying drop tower I've been on has to be High Fall at Movie Park in Germany, an Intamin Gyro Drop, for the sheer pant-stainer of having my seat lean forward with only a bicycle seat to rest on... urgh:
487768_10151952178745724_1235758152_n.jpg

Second to this has to be Hurakan Condor at PortAventura, both sit down and stand up (Intamin Drop Tower), as it's particularly tall and.. well.. anything that's Intamin adds that extra fear factor ;):
970180_10151424598096852_1382071612_n.jpg

I find Apocalypse at DMP to be just as terrifying, despite having ridden it the most of any other!

The most enjoyable drop tower has to be, obviously, TOT in any form :D:
522164_10152257134575343_1009692321_n.jpg

However I have a HUGE soft spot for Mystery Castle at Phantasialand - the indoor experience is really something else, along with the shot and drop sensations :).

For sheer pack-a-punch factor, the old Extremis at London Dungeons (RIP) gets a special mention:
3047_4432948782247_1034122835_n.jpg

Sub-Terra? Don't even go there. I've had more freefall when I've fallen out of bed!

Sazzle said:
I think the most terrifying drop tower I've been on has to be High Fall at Movie Park in Germany, an Intamin Gyro Drop, for the sheer pant-stainer of having my seat lean forward with only a bicycle seat to rest on... urgh:
487768_10151952178745724_1235758152_n.jpg

Ahhh, I love this drop towers! Bloody terrifying but such a huge adrenaline rush! The drop is immense! ;D

I think one of the worst drop towers I have been on is the huge 300ft Intamin Gyro Drop at Kings Dominion. Sure it was high but the drop itself was just force-less and boring. A huge let down.

:)

I hate drop Towers but every-now-and-then do one just to prove a point. Mostly though it's because i don't trust the Intamin ones!

I also have no issue with Heights and love ToT

Scare the absolute bejeesus out of me!

Never thought I would like them, went on poccy at DMP, confirmed.

Yup I'm beginning to think there's something distinctly odd about anyone who actually enjoys drop towers.
It's just not natural. Weirdos the lot of ya ! :D

Just bringing an old topic back from the dead.

Yesterday I went on Falcons Fury at Busch Gardens. I forced myself to do it to prove the theory that it's not the drop I hate but the direction you are facing. The theory was spot on, I loved it!

Ironicly the actual drop feels just like SheiKra next door. Although Falcons Fury does have the terrifying moment of "assuming the position" 300ft in the air.

If like me you hate drop towers give Falcons Fury a go. Also add Mystery Castle and Tower of Terror to that list as they are too good to miss!

I like them, but don't really love them. I've ridden a handfall and my favourite is definitely Paris' version of Tower of Terror, but that is more to do with the overall experience and not so much the ride system itself. For ride system mine's Poccy at Drayton, but I only really like the stand up side. To be honest I'm not a massive fan of doing them sitting down, don't mind it, but I'd rather stand up if the option is available. I do like S&S drop towers though as I like being shot up and the drops are a lot more gentle.

Just bringing an old topic back from the dead.

Yesterday I went on Falcons Fury at Busch Gardens. I forced myself to do it to prove the theory that it's not the drop I hate but the direction you are facing. The theory was spot on, I loved it!

Ironicly the actual drop feels just like SheiKra next door. Although Falcons Fury does have the terrifying moment of "assuming the position" 300ft in the air.

If like me you hate drop towers give Falcons Fury a go. Also add Mystery Castle and Tower of Terror to that list as they are too good to miss!

I'm glad to read that such a theory is true, as this feels like the compelling reason for me to ride it despite my hatred of drop towers.

Atmosfear is the only drop tower I've been able to build up the courage to go on, with the views over Gothenburg at night being the main draw. Oddly I really enjoyed it at the time, yet on my return visit to Liseberg this year I avoided going on it, purely as it wasn't at night. Gah.

Detonator is awful with a loose restraint. My legs went upwards so my body moved to not being on the seat which was very uncomfortable. However, loose restraints on vortex/ rush is amazing

High Fall at Movie Park was good, enjoy the stand up. Mystery Castle was also a well themed goodness

Detonator is awful with a loose restraint. My legs went upwards so my body moved to not being on the seat which was very uncomfortable. However, loose restraints on vortex/ rush is amazing
All depends how much you like drop towers. Personally, on detanator I has the restraint down to the last click.

Only just found this thread, and I think it's an interesting idea. It seems that no one (sane ;)) really likes the feeling of falling, yet parks continue to build drop towers. It really makes me think that the reason people ride is not because they like the ride (tower of terror excluded), but to prove to themselves that they can ride. I hate drop towers, yet I did apocalypse three times last time I was at Drayton. The seating also affects the experience, I found sitting on apocalypse much worse than standing, which I think is due to the tilt. The angle obviously has an affect, oblivion drop actually feels worse than thirteens.

Atmosfear is the only drop tower I've been able to build up the courage to go on, with the views over Gothenburg at night being the main draw. Oddly I really enjoyed it at the time, yet on my return visit to Liseberg this year I avoided going on it, purely as it wasn't at night. Gah.

I felt similar with Atmosfear. I admit I was bricking it before going on it considering it's already 300FT and it's build on a hill. However, the drop I found to be very gentle, possibly due to the restraints. Agree with you as well Dan, the views of Gothenburg are fantastic (even if I did go on it in the morning :p)

I stand by my post from 2 1/2 years ago, Detonator with a loose restraint is far better than the likes of Atmosfear.